The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-24-2003, 12:28 PM   #1
4uhataz

77 Chevy engine swap question

I'm new to the boards...in fact this is my first post. I'm in a bit of a dillema right now choosing which engine to put into my truck. I don't want to get flamed or anything for what I'm about to ask, so if it offends you I'm sorry. I have choices between a 350 4 bolt main, 383 Chrysler big block, or a 440 chrysler big block. The real question is have any of you performed this type of engine swap(chevy to mopar) and if so how did you do it. Was there any difficulty in doing it? I'm leaing more towards the 440 but I just want to know how difficult it is and what is involved in placing a mopar engine into a chevy truck bay. Thanks!
4uhataz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 01:04 PM   #2
jcab
I need more money....

I would say, use the 350, and then buy yourself a older a-body, or e-body mopar and throw the 440 in that!

I like to keep Chevy's with Chevy's, Mopars with Mopars, and Fords with the scrap yards . But thats just me

'68 LWB C10
'74 Duster ("It's not Rusted out, it's been modified for weight reduction")
'91 Civic
'97 Saturn
'88 Celica AWD turbo (R.I.P.) 273 hp Mustang Killer
jcab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 01:09 PM   #3
O'l Buck
Recovering Truck Driver

I'd probably stick with the Chevy, but if you are looking for something different, the mopar would be the way to go. (I'm in the process of putting a 350 Olds in a 49 Ford 1ton). I don't know what all would be involved with the swap since I don't have alot of experience with mopars, I assume motor mount towers, tranny x-member, maybe some clearance issues with the master cylinder and heater box, driveshaft of course, I can't recall where the radiator necks are on a dodge, you may have to have a radiator made for it.

Chad
South Central Nebraska
O'l Buck is offline   Reply With Quote