The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-26-2003, 07:49 PM   #1
406cid70Chevy

Maybe this could solve my electrical problems?

I found a wire that was hanging on only by a few strands, but I'm not sure what this wire is for. I know it hooks up with a red wire from the msd 6AL box and goes to the fuse box. Here are some pictures of what im talking about.

Anyone know what these wires do?

Thanks for your help guys.
406cid70Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 07:59 PM   #2
cableguy0

if that was my truck i would be looking for a new underhood harness because some electrical wizard in the past hacked yours all to he!! . that is scary wiring ready to cause a fire
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 08:03 PM   #3
406cid70Chevy

lol. That's because I've been going through pulling out all the wires checking them for bad spots.

But, yeah the mechanic I had put the msd and HEI in was a dumbass to say the least.
Old 10-26-2003, 08:20 PM   #4
cableguy0

obviously hes one of the "mechanics" if you want to call him that. thats makes me and other real mechanics look bad. but now i guess i should stop ranting and help ya lol. what are the two yellow wires doing besides trying to cause a fire? see where the white wire is connecting on the fuse box? he added that wire am i correct? if i were you i would connect the red wire directly to the white wire and get rid of the garbage thats there. when you make the connections solder them and use shrink tube for weatherproofing
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
Old 10-26-2003, 08:30 PM   #5
406cid70Chevy

The yellow and white wires were original on the truck(i think), because they were soldered to the white. I don't know why the yellow wires were left on either, but I already took them off. The only wire he added was the red, which comes from the MSD box. I was looking for the MSD manual to find out what that red wire is for, but couldn't find it.

I don't know what that white braided wire does though, any guesses?

Last edited by 406cid70Chevy; 10-26-2003 at 08:34 PM.
Old 10-26-2003, 08:40 PM   #6
cableguy0

the red wire should just be power to the box i went to msd's site and couldnt find a thing that was useful i put one in not long ago but cant remember what wire does what. if you have the manual use that diagram to wire it. its the simplest easiest most headache free way to do it. where is the braided white wire your talking about?
Old 10-26-2003, 08:52 PM   #7
406cid70Chevy

The braided white wire in the first picture. It's the white wire that's connected to the two yellow wires. It's braided, but is sealed with rubber under the braiding.
Old 10-26-2003, 08:59 PM   #8
68LSS1

Small red wire goes to + side of coil. Small black to -- side of coil. Large red to battery +. Large black to battery --(or engine ground). Give me the specifics of your set up and I can tell you exactly (HEI or number of pins on module, etc).
Old 10-26-2003, 09:00 PM   #9
cableguy0

the only white wire i see in the original wiring diagram is brown and white i think he added that white wire to the fuse box
Old 10-26-2003, 09:07 PM   #10
ddsmith
Glowing since 1978

I believe that the white wire was the resistance wire for running juice to the coil originally. The yellow wire connected to the white braided wire originally came from the starter solenoid for starting the truck. It provided a full 12V for starting and then the resistance wire feed the coil with the truck running. These are of course just what I think and I don't give money back guarantees.
ddsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 09:17 PM   #11
68LSS1

If it's the white wire coming out of the MSD it is only used for Ford breaker points systems, TFI, most Chrysler and GM 5 pin module. It's for triggering. With a GM 4 pin module (what I'm assuming is used) the white wire is not used.
Old 10-26-2003, 09:49 PM   #12
cdowns

i agree that that's the resistance wire, trace it back thru the harness to the firewall plug then use a pair of needle-nose pliers and pull it out and get rid of the wire and replace with a new wire at least14gaugeand solder and shrink-wrap
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote