The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-21-2012, 08:47 PM   #1
gipper

Turn Signal Switch Install with plug already on

Hello all, I have a 1968 GMC Stepside that is almost completely restored. I just got an original steering wheel and figured while I was at it, I might as well replace the turn signal switch as the exsisting one was cracked where the turn signal lever screwed into it.
I wanted a switch that had the original red knob and not the black reproduction. Only this new harness came with the plug already attached to the wires. I see no way to thread this back thru the column! Can someone help me out please?
gipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:50 PM   #2
Longhorn 70

Re: Turn Signal Switch Install with plug already on

I had to take the collar off of mine to get the one from the dealer through. The dealer one needed an adaptor and has the black knob FYI.

And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up. Gal 6:9
Longhorn 70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:52 PM   #3
gipper

Are you talking about taking the collar off the harness? I do not see how that can be done.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:00 PM   #4
Longhorn 70

No the collar off of the column. The 2 light gray things that aren't numbered
Attached Images

And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up. Gal 6:9

Last edited by Longhorn 70; 12-21-2012 at 09:06 PM.
Longhorn 70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:42 PM   #5
hugger6933

The collar HAS to come off the column if you want to keep it together as you install it. The best bet if you can't get your hands on the old Kent Moore puller tool [I have the tool number in the service manuel here somewhere] and how many of those tools do you think are left floating around? Anyways what I did oon the ones I pulled the collars of off of is start by taking a sharp pick or probe and go around the base of the collar where it meets the column. That will scrape out some of the old paint gunk grime and just plain old junk that may be holding it on. After scoring around the column a couple of time I found the tabs at the base it is a place to place something in so a little leverage can be gained. At the top I got a hold on the colar and just started pulling on it until it stasrted to rock back and forth. A brake spoon might be helpful here as it will fit into the rolled edge of the collar. Now you need to be careful as this is thin and will bend pretty easy. put the spoon iand you will see real quick the pry points needed to break the thing loose. So once it starts to move you can walk it the rest of the way off with just pulling with your fingers and then it will pop loose. Once it is off where it fits on the column I went around that portion with some scotchbrite pad to aid in the reassembly sop it will go back to gether easier., taking a wooden block and tapping the collar back in place. hope this helps clear it up for you . Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 12:39 AM   #6
Hubscrub
Cruzin

here are a few pics of mine as long as it's not a tilt it should come apart easy, i just turned the collar and pulled it off
Attached Images

Back to the Fifties 59 https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...NAeStpydfrcj_U

Proverbs 3:5,6

"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything."Charles Kuralt

In memory of our first baby daughter, daddy and mommy love you.
Danica Grace 6/26/14
Hubscrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:34 AM   #7
gipper

Smile Re: Turn Signal Switch Install with plug already on

This has been VERY HELPFUL! Thanks so much. I will be working on this project this weekend and will post my progress. Thanks again, Dan
Old 12-22-2012, 11:08 AM   #8
sjarrett71

I've always taken the wires out of the plug then reinstalled them once the new turn signal switch was installed.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:46 PM   #9
TheSeeker

I just tackled this job in my 69 today.. it was NOT EASY or fun. It took me 4 hours to get finished and now my steering column has gaps in between the steering wheel adaptor and the turn signal housing. Looks like crap abd im pissed.
Posted via Mobile Device
TheSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:55 PM   #10
gipper

I have the new switch installed and everything works except the horn. Going to start a new thread for this. Been trying to figure out for two days now.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:07 AM   #11
TheSeeker

Heres what mine looks.like after attempt 5 at putting it all in. I cant close.the gaps but everything works.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

TheSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:08 AM   #12
69GWC

You need to make sure that the lower collar is on correct or the other collar will not fit on right and things wont line up right.
Posted via Mobile Device
69GWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:13 AM   #13
moe70c10

does any steering wheel puller work on a 70c10 stock wheel? i need to replace my turn signal switch, my brake and tail lights go on and off when using my turn signal...and the lever seems to be loose..it is a no tilt clm...anyone ever had this issue?
moe70c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:00 PM   #14
Aaron Burkemper

If your brake/tail lights come on with your turn signals, check your grounds too.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:05 AM   #15
gipper

It's all done! Took a lot more time than I expected! After first install, I somehow grounded one of the wires. As soon as I applied power, I blew the horn relay. After figuring this out, and putting in a new relay, I was more careful in running wires. Everything worked until I put steering wheel on. After more trial and error, I found that the turn signal lever was not "seated" in the switch properly so it was grounding out on the steering wheel. I filed the width of the turn signal lever and all work as it should. WHEW! Glad I waited until winter to tackle this.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:36 AM   #16
PAWS 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by gipper View Post
It's all done! Took a lot more time than I expected! After first install, I somehow grounded one of the wires. As soon as I applied power, I blew the horn relay. After figuring this out, and putting in a new relay, I was more careful in running wires. Everything worked until I put steering wheel on. After more trial and error, I found that the turn signal lever was not "seated" in the switch properly so it was grounding out on the steering wheel. I filed the width of the turn signal lever and all work as it should. WHEW! Glad I waited until winter to tackle this.
Do you want to come down nere,where its warmer, and do mine?haha
PAWS 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:19 AM   #17
moe70c10

Any tips on how to get the wires out of the way so my switch will go in far enough to mount the turn lever and hazard button...seems like they have to tuck behind the bearing support piece..had to walk away from it last night
Attached Images

moe70c10 is offline   Reply With Quote