The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-26-2012, 04:53 PM   #1
54blackhornet

GMC "Leaf Springs" Why ?

Can someone explain why the more expensive brand went with the POS leafs instead of the smooth riding adjustable coils with trailing arms ? Makes no sence when you consider the option of leafs if you need extra weight capacity ? O well I guess I am stuck with them !
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-26-2012, 04:56 PM   #2
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Re: GMC "Leaf Springs" Why ?

In that era, the GMC still had the image of a work truck. A hard working truck. Chevy's were more civilized. The leaf springs on the GMC played into the utilitarian role better.

There is nothing POS about leaf springs either. They are simple, sturdy, and they work.
Tx Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:07 PM   #3
darush01

Ive had both and honestly ive never had a 3/4 ton ride as smooth as on my 72 c20 with coils. I still hace good load capacity and it rides like a cadillac
Posted via Mobile Device
darush01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:11 PM   #4
54blackhornet

You are right "Firefighter"; I was out of line with that comment ! It's not that way now. I guess the wood bed is for work too ? I love my 68 GMC with leafs and wood but wished my 71 had coils...
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by ETsC10; 12-27-2012 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Put the "I" in :)
54blackhornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:16 PM   #5
special-K
Special Order

Evidently coils weren't a better idea or trucks wouldn't have gone back to leafs. It was an option on both Chevy and GMC,but all 4wds and one tons have run leafs. People used to buy cars for comfort and trucks for work.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:18 PM   #6
nobolt

why is the man "out of line"? it's the truth.....ahhh, hornet you missed an "I" ...LOL

"... government even in its best state is but a necessary evil. Thomas Paine

"It wasn't a lie, it was ineptitude with insufficient cover." Donald Draper (Mad Men)
nobolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:19 PM   #7
Tx Firefighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54blackhornet View Post
You are right "Firefighter" was out of line with that comment ! It's not that way now. I guess the wood bed is for work too ? I love my 68 GMC with leafs and wood but wished my 71 had coils...
Posted via Mobile Device
I'm out of line with which comment exactly ?
Old 12-26-2012, 05:21 PM   #8
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

All I can say is if you don't like leaf springs... sell the truck or change the rear spring setup. You ain't stuck with them. There are lots and lots of trucks out there of this vintage with coils.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:38 PM   #9
terry b

Why did you buy it if you don't like it?
terry b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:56 PM   #10
54blackhornet

I ment to say I was out of line, not "Firefighter" Sorry all ! I myself have a C-20 with coils and it drives way better then my 1/2 tons with leafs ! I would have thought leafs would have been stock on both lines ? Must have cost more to equip one with coils when new ? Again just wish my 71 I just got had coils so I would have a little more latitude in upgrading future...Sorry for getting you all upset, never would want to do that...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-26-2012, 06:01 PM   #11
terry b

Didnt all chevy truck's come stock with rear coil's and leaf's were a extra cost option?
terry b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:03 PM   #12
SS Tim

There are reasons to like coils and ride quality is at the top. But when it come to load carrying ability leaf springs are hard to beat. The complexity of a coil suspension negates the weight savings of the coils themselves. The loss of inter-leaf friction is a probably the biggest reason for their demise after cost considerations. As are loaded ride height considerations. With a camper on a truck, which at the time was a fast growing market, there is very little to prevent the loaded truck from swaying. This was aggravated by the ever increasing weight and the CG shifting upward and aft on the campers. Shocks alone can provide some stability but the leaf springs friction provide a lot of roll stability that increases fairly linear to load deflection. In fact rear shocks were optional on C30s.
Factor in the cost of two different chassis types plus the wheelbase variations and it is easy to see why leafs became the standard (cheaper) and only rear suspension on the later '73 up trucks.
Wood bed floors were a carryover option from earlier times that worked well for camper mounting (through bolting) but was actually considered a better footing for livestock. It even carried on into the square bodies as well for a number of years as an option on fewer and fewer trucks.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:11 PM   #13
Tx Firefighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54blackhornet View Post
I ment to say I was out of line, not "Firefighter" Sorry all ! I myself have a C-20 with coils and it drives way better then my 1/2 tons with leafs ! I would have thought leafs would have been stock on both lines ? Must have cost more to equip one with coils when new ? Again just wish my 71 I just got had coils so I would have a little more latitude in upgrading future...Sorry for getting you all upset, never would want to do that...
Posted via Mobile Device
No problem. I see you're posting from a phone or something and stuff like that is easy to do. It's all good.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-26-2012, 06:34 PM   #14
darush01

I cant complain about comfort or load capacity in my c20 with coils, i guess its all about the driver ive had 1900 lbs in the bed a 4600 on a trailer and never bottomed out rubbed wheel wells or swayed but i was raised to haul my dad had me driving an olf 2 ton truck through his junkyard at age 10 and my c20 with coils has handled everything ive put in it
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-26-2012, 06:35 PM   #15
darush01

Oh and the wood bed was rotted out so i have a peice if steel and a bed liner down for now
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-26-2012, 07:06 PM   #16
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

Boy all you need to do is find one of the board members near you that has a junk 1960-72 1/2 or 3/3 ton and swap out the coil springs for the leaf springs.the problem comes around about the 12 bolt rear ends with the locator bar post But i've heard that all you need to do is change the axles in the 6 lug rear ends and use them as your rear end

All of the trucks can be eather one leaf or coil where the ladder bars are they have the holes to bolt it back up
stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:38 PM   #17
special-K
Special Order

Yes,the wood floor is for work,just like it is in all the pre-67 Fleetsides,Stepsides,flatbeds,dry goods vans,and a heap of utility trailers. Guys with '73-ups do 4-link/bag suspension and get the best ride and capacity all in one. It's not that complicated. A lot of guys with coils do it,too. With anything,it's always esiest to buy it the way you wanted it already.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:44 PM   #18
factorystock

Quote:
Originally Posted by darush01 View Post
Ive had both and honestly ive never had a 3/4 ton ride as smooth as on my 72 c20 with coils. I still hace good load capacity and it rides like a cadillac
Posted via Mobile Device
I am sure you have the standard 2000 lb coils, which do ride nice. If you had the optional 3000 lb coils on your C 20, the ride would be much more bumpy.
factorystock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:59 PM   #19
factorystock

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Tim View Post
With a camper on a truck, which at the time was a fast growing market, there is very little to prevent the loaded truck from swaying. This was aggravated by the ever increasing weight and the CG shifting upward and aft on the campers. Shocks alone can provide some stability but the leaf springs friction provide a lot of roll stability that increases fairly linear to load deflection.
Agreed. The scientific explanation from International which used leafs on all 4 wheels at the time, even on thier 2WDs:
Attached Images

Last edited by factorystock; 12-26-2012 at 08:12 PM.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:06 AM   #20
bobs409
1969 Custom 30 wrecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by darush01 View Post
I cant complain about comfort or load capacity in my c20 with coils, i guess its all about the driver ive had 1900 lbs in the bed a 4600 on a trailer and never bottomed out rubbed wheel wells or swayed but i was raised to haul my dad had me driving an olf 2 ton truck through his junkyard at age 10 and my c20 with coils has handled everything ive put in it
Posted via Mobile Device
Whatever the reason, I agree that the coils are nicer. I have a 3/4 ton and it rides fantastic and still hauls the freight. I had more weight on than I should have on an occasion or two and it didn't complain at all.

On the other hand, I remember my 69 Blazer 4X4 that rode like a tank! Hated the harsh ride it had due to leaf springs.

63 Impala 283/PG/3.36 (under restoration)
66 Impala 327/PG/3.36
66 Chevelle SS 409/M22/3.55
69 Chevelle 307/PG/3.08 (future restoration)
69 C10 short stepside 454/TH350/3.73
69 Custom 30 tow truck 350/4 spd/4.10 (resto done, CRUISIN TIME!)
71 Cheyenne 20 fleetside 350/4 spd/4.10
71 Chevelle 6/PG/3.08
72 Chevelle 454/M21/4.10
bobs409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:44 AM   #21
bollybib

Not ever having owned a full size truck, I learned about coil vs. leaf ride quality during my research before I bought one. Because I would be using it in light duty service (more like a car with a lot of stroage capacity, really), I specifically wanted rear coils for the better ride quality. I rejected a few trucks I really liked only because they had leafs.

I got what I wanted. I like the ride and I have no need for any rear end modification.

My Daily Driver is a 1969 Chevrolet Custom/20 Fleetside 350/TH400/Eaton H052 4.10
and its Project thread is here http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=456911
bollybib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:06 PM   #22
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

My old 69 was coil and it sure drove smooth. My 68 GMC is springs and even though it's not as smooth, I like it. A lot simpler and cheaper.

I knew the rancher that had it before me. He used it for hauling fence posts and other ranch work. It was a simple thing for him to add additional springs for this type of work. When I got bought it, I didn't need them, so it was a simple job for me to remove the additional springs. I have them available if I ever need them but I doubt it. Still hauls a good load.

I believe that cost and simplicity -along with suspension advances -may be a big factor in GM's decision.
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:22 PM   #23
factorystock

Ground clearance is another reason for leaf springs. Coil trailing arms can get stuck on large rocks off road.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:32 PM   #24
skillet

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68gmsee View Post
My old 69 was coil and it sure drove smooth. My 68 GMC is springs and even though it's not as smooth, I like it. A lot simpler and cheaper.

I knew the rancher that had it before me. He used it for hauling fence posts and other ranch work. It was a simple thing for him to add additional springs for this type of work. When I got bought it, I didn't need them, so it was a simple job for me to remove the additional springs. I have them available if I ever need them but I doubt it. Still hauls a good load.

I believe that cost and simplicity -along with suspension advances -may be a big factor in GM's decision.
Are you talking about helper springs from the 67-72 era or something else? Reason I'm asking, I have a '69 with leafs and was looking for something like his solution for my truck. Thanks very much.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:38 PM   #25
ETsC10
Hand Crafted C-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobolt View Post
why is the man "out of line"? it's the truth.....ahhh, hornet you missed an "I" ...LOL
Fixed the "I"

I love the ride of my '68 C-10 (with it's leaf springs!)
...feels like what it is...a healthy, stable truck.
ETsC10 is offline   Reply With Quote