The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-21-2013, 11:39 AM   #26
i82much

Re: Value guess?

Thanks for your advice, So Cal. I am probably just going to let this one go and keep looking at trucks. Not enough of them out there so I know it will be a while before the right deal comes along, but I don't really "need" it either so I think I will pass for now.

Tough to turn down a solid-body K20 with power steering and disk brakes, but it just doesn't run well, trans doesn't downshift, interior is pretty rough, and I am hoping to find something a little nicer. But, maybe I'm missing out on a great deal, who knows.
i82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:49 PM   #27
So.Cal.Super
It'll Buff Out!

I know it's tough to walk away, I couldn't and wish I would have found this board before I bought mine and done a lot more research. I have just always loved the body style and when I saw this one for sale all the memories of my brothers sort of took over. so now I am probably x3 into what I paid for it and still no where close to restoring it. I have learned a lot and patience seems to be key. just keep looking, expand your search. plenty of guys fly or drive 1k+ miles to get that perfect one.

good luck.

Become a Supporting Member
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php

Man Card Rules
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=634550

72 Chevy Cheyenne Super 400 LWB
So.Cal.Super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:20 PM   #28
i82much

It is tough to walk away. It may be that the truck is a tune-up and a minor trans adjustment away from being a solid driver that I would keep for the rest of my life. Or it might be something where I'm never happy with it and it turns into a money pit. Tough to say.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:43 PM   #29
71swb4x4

Have you had anyone look at the truck? If not, I can't see how you are considering walking away. We are all judging condition based on a couple marginal photos. See if someone on this truck board will look at it for you, and then make your decision. Without putting eyes on it you can't say yes, so why not get some eyes on it?
No matter what truck you buy, if it's long distance, you need to get someone's eyes on it that doesn't have an interest in it selling.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:30 PM   #30
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Well I hope he got it. It now says "Posting deleted by author"..

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:40 PM   #31
So.Cal.Super
It'll Buff Out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by i82much View Post
It is tough to walk away. It may be that the truck is a tune-up and a minor trans adjustment away from being a solid driver that I would keep for the rest of my life. Or it might be something where I'm never happy with it and it turns into a money pit. Tough to say.

I thought he did look at it. that was the point of my "go over it from the ground up"

maybe he got it LockDoc

Become a Supporting Member
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php

Man Card Rules
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=634550

72 Chevy Cheyenne Super 400 LWB
So.Cal.Super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:12 PM   #32
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

wow well this hobbie of are has gotten out of hand.I have pissed off more people buy bring a creeper and jack 2 stands and jacking up the truck.One guy was like you really going to jack up my truck or crewel under my truck.

Here is a 1971 Cheyenne that i bought for 650.00 Now this is a 1972 3/4 ton that i bought for 800.00 Now the blue truck is almost done spent well over 11K to make it a work truck again.the black 1971 I've only had 300.00 at the time of the pictures now it has over 1900.00

My one thing that keep me from buying a truck is Cancer.I'm not a body man And a body man right now in calif are going for 65.00 a hour to 95.00 hour Me i think that a friggen rip off $15.00 - $25.00 a hour is fair if welding is being done the price has to come up.

Any of you have a Number of hours it would take to do a floor rocker panel doors Rear cab Roof and what would you charge?

Body work should be the first thing that runs throw your mind before a price ever enters it.

Now do your home work price out what wire harness will cost you.At 40 year old truck needs a Rewire.Re-pop M&H wire harness will run you $1200.00 and its a plug and play system.

Most of us already know we will probable put a motor and rebuild the trans that's a given.

If you buy a 1971-72 you will save your self 1000.00 in up grades cus of disc brakes and front sway bar.But be warned you will Need to rebuild the front end to make it safe.

Now the guy you buy it from tells you He has just rebuilt the front end bushings.Put a new crate 290 hp engine in and 700R4 overdrive trans has done most of the body work and interior.

To me that's worth about $6500.00.he says it needs wiring cab mounts and a few other things.Best off take some one that has a few of these trucks and knows what to look for.

There are some sweet gems out there from the down turn of the housing market I seen over 35 of them that where mostly Long beds that had a lot of time and good honest work put into them.

Now I'm not one for buying some one else project that has butchered it up I seen chopped tops to chopped front ends and putting Nova's front ends on those stay away from them are parts trucks
Attached Images

stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:25 PM   #33
70cst

Quote:
Well, if it's a crate engine, it's not the original engine. At least there is that. So we are not looking at an all-original, restore-it-to-perfect type of truck. What I probably need to do is start hanging out on the forum and learn a little more about these trucks so I can make an informed decision when the right truck comes up.
Bingo we have a winner

To be honest I am still learning about these trucks. I guess I know enough about these trucks to be dangerous

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:21 PM   #34
i82much

Pretty sure it sold, but it wasn't me that bought it. I did actually go look at it. I think the lesson here is that the truck was probably worth about what he was asking for it. It was a really close call on my part.

Some of it just came down to time - I have my 65 GTO to wrap up before I get into anything else, and I don't want to spend my first summer with the goat running worrying about a truck instead of driving the goat. Still, it was a great learning experience and now at least I know about what you get for $4500.

Thanks to everyone for their input here, and congrats to whoever bought the truck!
Old 01-23-2013, 08:55 PM   #35
Vintage Windmills
Vintage 4x4s

If that didn't need cab supports or have bad rust that was a good deal! I think you will be hard pressed to find one that original for that kind of money without major rust, especially around here

67 GMC K1500 Custom- 305V6 SM420, PTO, Ram Assist, yellow (the outcast) (project period correct upgrades)
67 GMC C2500 351V6 TH400, AC, PS, PB (can't decide what to do with. Update, decided to keep and will restore )
86 CHV K30 502 th400, apple red NEW
71 CHV K20 350 SM465, ochre (saved work truck)
71 CHV K20 292 SM465, white, tach, PTO, (future project)
72 CHV K20 350 350th, medium blue (project stocker)
01 CHV K2500hd crew, indigo blue

^3 dont run and the others don't see winter either
'86 K30 Cummins "Fireside" thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=649649
'71 K20 "get driveable" thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=590642
'72 K20 Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=493477&page=6
Vintage Windmills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:15 PM   #36
i82much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Windmills View Post
If that didn't need cab supports or have bad rust that was a good deal! I think you will be hard pressed to find one that original for that kind of money without major rust, especially around here
Hah, thanks man. Yeah I have some regrets. Still, I had just gotten into the market and probably needed to let one go just to get my feet wet, I mean it's a want not a need. Or at least I keep telling myself that to make me feel better
Old 01-23-2013, 10:01 PM   #37
Vintage Windmills
Vintage 4x4s

Quote:
Hah, thanks man. Yeah I have some regrets. Still, I had just gotten into the market and probably needed to let one go just to get my feet wet, I mean it's a want not a need. Or at least I keep telling myself that to make me feel better
You're in a great area to find 4x4's that aren't all rusted out though. I'm assuming your in WA/ID area and not MD. you're still the best judge of whether or not it was a good deal since only you looked at it in person.

67 GMC K1500 Custom- 305V6 SM420, PTO, Ram Assist, yellow (the outcast) (project period correct upgrades)
67 GMC C2500 351V6 TH400, AC, PS, PB (can't decide what to do with. Update, decided to keep and will restore )
86 CHV K30 502 th400, apple red NEW
71 CHV K20 350 SM465, ochre (saved work truck)
71 CHV K20 292 SM465, white, tach, PTO, (future project)
72 CHV K20 350 350th, medium blue (project stocker)
01 CHV K2500hd crew, indigo blue

^3 dont run and the others don't see winter either
'86 K30 Cummins "Fireside" thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=649649
'71 K20 "get driveable" thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=590642
'72 K20 Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=493477&page=6
Vintage Windmills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:44 PM   #38
i82much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Windmills View Post
You're in a great area to find 4x4's that aren't all rusted out though. I'm assuming your in WA/ID area and not MD. you're still the best judge of whether or not it was a good deal since only you looked at it in person.
Yeah, I'm in Spokane now. Lots of pretty country up this way, would be pretty sweet to take a cruise in an old Chevy 4x4 up this way, over into ID and MT. I'll get 'r done one of these days.

Really I think I just needed to let one get away from me, I always do that before I buy something. Once one gets away, you have a realistic idea of what people are willing to pay. And hey, what the heck - looking is half the fun, anyway.