The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-21-2013, 03:12 PM   #1
joeysz06

Sounds like rod knocking

I have a 71 gmc with an early 80s 350 and a 3 speed with granny gear. I recently started to get a knocking sound from my truck but only in 2nd and 3rd only when gassing if I let off it stops and if I'm parked in neutral I can free rev with no noise. Any advise on where I can start looking.
Posted via Mobile Device
joeysz06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:19 PM   #2
mrein3

Re: Sounds like rod knocking

Spark knock?
Maybe try higher octane or pour octane booster in what you already have.
Center City, MN

Last edited by mrein3; 02-21-2013 at 03:19 PM. Reason: spelling
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:36 PM   #3
joeysz06

I run 91 just cause I feel it runs better
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-21-2013, 03:41 PM   #4
JOJABOY

timing too far advanced would be my guess. does it sound sort of like valves rattling when you are up to speed (like 50 mph) and trying to cruise along? no knocking/rattling when you are accelerating under load like when you are starting off from a light???
JOJABOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:42 PM   #5
JOJABOY

did you just buy the truck or do any work on the motor recently?
Old 02-21-2013, 03:51 PM   #6
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Usually a rod will make some noise on a free rev. So it only knocks under a load? It it a deep thump or a tinny tic noise, like a lifter? Possible main bearing knock. They are a little hard to diagnose. It is a deep thump like noise and nothing like a valve train noise.

Have you checked the end play on the crank. If you can get both hands on the balancer and push/pull on it and hear any knock then it has to much end play. If you can't move it back and forth, then it is most likey OK.

Also, you may have broke a gear tooth in the trans which will also cause a deep thump type noise under load.
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:53 PM   #7
joeysz06

No when I take off in second (first) I don't get any noise. As soon as I shift to second(third) it sounds almost like a knock I have not done any engine work. It idles fine
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-21-2013, 03:54 PM   #8
joeysz06

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOJABOY View Post
did you just buy the truck or do any work on the motor recently?
I have had it for some time
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-21-2013, 03:56 PM   #9
joeysz06

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBONE1964 View Post
Usually a rod will make some noise on a free rev. So it only knocks under a load? It it a deep thump or a tinny tic noise, like a lifter? Possible main bearing knock. They are a little hard to diagnose. It is a deep thump like noise and nothing like a valve train noise.

Have you checked the end play on the crank. If you can get both hands on the balancer and push/pull on it and hear any knock then it has to much end play. If you can't move it back and forth, then it is most likey OK.

Also, you may have broke a gear tooth in the trans which will also cause a deep thump type noise under load.
Ill try that it almost sounds like a hard tic It's only on a load could it be flywheel?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-21-2013, 03:58 PM   #10
joeysz06

If its a bearing wouldn't it be thru he whole rpm range ?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-21-2013, 04:12 PM   #11
JOJABOY

Could be any number of things. (cracked flywheel, drive shaft, anything). But if it's something that just started happening. Meaning you have had the truck and it didn't do it in the past and it's not a supplemental effect from some engine work you've done makes me think that something broke.

I had a buddy the other day that had a timing issue where when he was up to speed it sounded like every valve in his motor was rattling. Turned out it was too much advance on his distributor and when he got to cruise speed and the vacuum advance kicked back in it was causing predetonation.

Try unhooking your vacuum advance on your distributor and plug the line coming out of the carb/intake. Then take it for a drive. You will get a little rough idle and a decreased throttle response. But when you get it up to speed top gear for your granny trans....see if you still hear it. If you do, plug vacuum advance can back up and rule that out.

Super easy check just to see if it is timing curve. If no knocking....then you know where to go look.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:18 PM   #12
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Not always. Main knocks are similar to rod knocks and they have a sweet spot where they make more noise.

It is one of those things that are hard to diagnose unless I can actually hear it. Check all of the obvious things like the flywheel like you mentioned. There are many things that it could be and hopefully we can help you narrow it down.
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:48 PM   #13
joeysz06

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOJABOY View Post
Could be any number of things. (cracked flywheel, drive shaft, anything). But if it's something that just started happening. Meaning you have had the truck and it didn't do it in the past and it's not a supplemental effect from some engine work you've done makes me think that something broke.

I had a buddy the other day that had a timing issue where when he was up to speed it sounded like every valve in his motor was rattling. Turned out it was too much advance on his distributor and when he got to cruise speed and the vacuum advance kicked back in it was causing predetonation.

Try unhooking your vacuum advance on your distributor and plug the line coming out of the carb/intake. Then take it for a drive. You will get a little rough idle and a decreased throttle response. But when you get it up to speed top gear for your granny trans....see if you still hear it. If you do, plug vacuum advance can back up and rule that out.

Super easy check just to see if it is timing curve. If no knocking....then you know where to go look.
Ok I'll try today
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-21-2013, 09:27 PM   #14
Transformula

It's a manual trans with gears in it. Nobody else mentioned that maybe there may be some chipped teeth on 2nd and 3rd gears. If first is quiet, there may be no engine trouble. You can chip a gear tooth and every time it goes around, it will knock. Sometimes you can feel it in the shifter, sometimes you can't. And it can knock on accelleration, and not on coast, or vice-versa.
1995 FXDL Harley Low Rider
1985 C10 ShortWide 91 Burb front.
Transformula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:32 AM   #15
special-K
Special Order

Does it knock in neutral? Sounds like your trans.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote