The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-02-2013, 05:35 PM   #1
ChevyBrad

Amber Turn signal bulbs

Does anybody know where I can find amber bulbs for the front turn signals on my '52 3800? I went to the parts store and they told me they did not have any amber bulbs that size. Thanks.
ChevyBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:04 PM   #2
D-man313

Re: Amber Turn signal bulbs

Are they the stock housings? I did the conversion so it gives me turn signals and they use a 1157 amber bulb.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:36 PM   #3
ChevyBrad

Yeah it's the stock housing and it is a one wire which I believe is a 6v set up then? I am on 12v but, what is the conversion?
Old 04-02-2013, 10:51 PM   #4
mr48chev

The Conversion is a pigtail that has two wires and connectors that fits into the socket and then you use a bulb that has two connectors on it with one that is a bit brighter than the other but has straight across pins. I did the swap in 1973 on my truck and it takes some serious jiggling to get it squared away.

You could take a short (have to compare) universal stop/tail light socket and drill out the original socket to fit so you could put the universal one in it's place.

Or if you only want turn signals and don't care about park lights find a 12 V stop/turn bulb with the same base as the original and find some amber bulb dye if it is still available or some translucent amber paint to paint the bulb with.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:13 PM   #5
Atommik

I converted the lights in the grill to park lamp/ turn signal. My truck had the added turn signals mounted on top of the fenders and I removed them. If the lights in the grill are the ones you are talking about, my build thread has a couple of pictures of how I converted mine (post # 71). If you need a single filament bulb for yours, then you need a "1156" amber bulb. If they are turn and parking lights, then you will need an 2 filament "1157" amber.
Atommik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:08 PM   #6
ChevyBrad

Ok cool thanks! Yeah I am not going to bother running parking lights, just turn signals are what I need. I think I might try the bulb paint and if not I'll modify the socket to accept the larger bulb and have it centered. Thanks Again.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:51 PM   #7
ChevyBrad

Thanks guys I get 2 1156 bulbs and just moved the sockets to the side and bent inward to fit the larger bulb and center it and it worked perfect.