The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-22-2013, 11:51 PM   #26
Joemomma1

Re: does it bother anyone

I have no intentions on entering any kind of shows partly because of people like that. I couldn't care less what people think but I have a tough time not being confrontational. People go to those to win so I can understand why others may try to bring you down and build themselves up. I will gladly talk to the people who will ask about it in the streets because they obviously liked your work and want to know more. I imagine I would let someone like that know that I am not going to waste my time on someone who doesn't understand the culture.
Posted via Mobile Device
Joemomma1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:05 AM   #27
azdude1964

i say to people that i bulit my truck to drive and i biult it to the way i want it,if you dont like it too bad. Ive had it in a couple of shows where i got passed up because it not to their liking ie judges because they dont like hotrod trucks. take pride in your ride. dont let people get you down,
Old 04-23-2013, 12:06 AM   #28
63ChevC10

Everyone here is spot on, but I'm compelled to add my .02. Anyone can go out and buy something nice, but there's something to be said for the person who builds what THEY want, no matter what others say!
Althought it might be easier said than done, just let it roll off of your back. Consider the source. They were probably there because they didn't have anything worth looking at and had to make themselves feel better.
63ChevC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:32 AM   #29
oem4me

It's really not an issue what or if he drove anything to the show himself, anyone that treats others with disrespect like that is simply an A-hole. Who gives a sh-t what he thinks or says. Tell him to go home and yell at his wife. Oh, and have a nice day.
oem4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:44 AM   #30
64shortbox

414banger,
A lot of good info posted about dealing with those kind of jerks. As Woogeroo, indian113 & others have stated the people that knock your vehicle don't own one them self so when I have someone knocking my truck or hearse I also ask "where's yours" and EVERY TIME they've had to admit they don't own anything.
If I feel like messing with them, I compliment them on their shirt, jacket, shoes etc then zing them. I'll say something like "Nice Shirt" - I had one just like it till my father got a job. The friends that they're trying to impress usually start busting up laughing at them.
Don't let a couple of jerks get under your skin, believe me you will run into a few more just like them but just think about all the good people you've met that same day. Don't let some moron's comments get to you.
64shortbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:20 AM   #31
broey
Square

I will admit I find myself doing this sometimes.. but it is ALWAYS when I go to a car show and its a full row of camaros and corvettes that look like they came straight from the dealership. I dont know why, but it bugs the crap out of me.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:38 AM   #32
414banger

man there is alot of reasureance on this forum and i thank you guys for that i just got the truck drivable and dependable and im going to hit every cruise in and car show i can this year not to win anything but to just to get it out there and show it off and one of the main reasons i built it was to take it to the goodguys ppg nationals in july to actually be part of it and just not a spectator like years past heck im even thinking about hitting 2 car shows this saturday but anyways thanks again guys
414banger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:34 AM   #33
Indian113

I know how you feel about driving into a show instead of Walking- it gives you a since of Pride No matter what other people think
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:57 AM   #34
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Every day of life, I add someone else to the list of people who can kiss my ass.

Whether people like you or your work, it doesn't matter, you and you alone walk through your life and listen to the beat of the drum in your head. When someone else pays your bills or builds your truck for you, then they can judge. Until then, its just wasted noise.

Ignore the haters
Tx Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:59 AM   #35
K98AL

That'd git yer butt kicked in Oklahoma. May be why those comments are rarely heard around here.....
K98AL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:00 AM   #36
tincan1966

Just remember who you are building it for -- YOU! Altho other's comments may sting a bit, you are the only one who's opinion matters.

In the past I've built alot of vehicles for other people, even had one come back to the shop and complain because he didn't win anything at a car show.

We attended a local show last spring here in the area with her '59 F100-before we sold it. Got more satisfaction out of the positive comments we got more than any trophy we cold have gotten. The other thing about this show- it was small- about 100 cars- 30 from one club- 20 of them got awards. They only awarded 25 prizes. Isn't that kinda like a "buy-in"? LOL!
tincan1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:06 AM   #37
T Smith

I don't care if you like my ride or not but what does chap my ass is when people tell you that you shoulda done this or you should do that. I did it the way I wanted to, get your own truck and do it like you want! I had a guy actually arguing with me the other day that I should ditch the carburetor and fuel inject it with remote start, and get a rear end out of a trans am so I'd have disc brakes, said it would bolt right in, wtf?
T Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:26 AM   #38
robber grin

Before primer was cool - I pulled my first 62 C10 short step in black primer into this big show at Linden Hall Plantation that used to be a big deal in this area - tons of cars (mostly street rodders) - oldies bands - local radio - etc. etc. Huge show = tons of people.

They parked me right beside one of the best looking 57 Olds customs I have ever seen (Joe Meinert - Wilkinsburg PA - raced The Alaskan).

Frankly I was embarassed, until he got up and helped me back into the spot and made us feel welcome.

Dude there is one in every crowd - just try to love people even when they make it hard.

Your truck is not a POS - it's quite the opposite - you should see my latest project.

chin up bro - shake it off...
rg
robber grin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:44 AM   #39
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

So....you had 1 jerk say he didnt like your truck...you have about 30 here that they like your truck. sometimes we just need to hear another persons opinion to appreciate what WE have. Your truck is just that, yours!

And I like your truck screw him!

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:55 AM   #40
jbgroby

Remember this one GOLDEN Rule:

"If not for fools, we've never know we were smart" SO you need to have fools as a bench mark!
jbgroby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:12 AM   #41
1963c-10

I don't worry about what other people think. As long as I enjoy what I do, I don't have to explain it to anyone else. You will have people from all walks of life that will either hate it or love it. At our local shows or cruise-ins, the cars outweigh the trucks in numbers, and when you see the trucks, its the 48-59 or 67-72 crowd for the most part. So even in rough shape or farm truck quality, the majority of talk I have heard is positive. Im not a trophie collector, but I have won my share of diamond-in-the-rough catagories while im still in the project stages, and I see alot of projects at our shows. Im sorry that you had to deal with negativity, but turn it into a positive and keep on cruising and enjoying your truck.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=619024
1964 Short bed trailer
1963c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:22 AM   #42
verdell

Build it for the fun and the small measure of joy it brings you and disregard what everyone else thinks or says. I've never entered a show but I attend quite a few along with cruise ins. 9 times out of 10, I'm driving my Apache too. Be it a Tuner, 25k trailer queen, or candy paint squirted 30 inch wheel whatever, do what you like. It's always fun to see the "show cars" get passed over by home built street/rat rods, let alone a Truck of all things!?! Mine aint no show stopper but get stopped by admirers quite a bit at gas stations. I remember on the 5 hour drive to Gulf Coast we stopped for fuel at the half way point. As I walked back to the truck I could hear my wife who was still sitting in the truck saying "yeah, it's got a stroker with mild cam and an overdrive transmission but we went ahead and added disc brakes and power steering tho..." I died laughing inside! She had kinda gotten used to it by now! Again, do it for the fun and enjoyment and to hell with the rest...
verdell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:50 AM   #43
LEEVON

Here's a little bit of a different spin on this. Somebody very close to me has the personality trait of saying what's on top-of-mind, and often loudly. It's the same stuff we're all thinking, this person just filters a little differently. Yes, it creates some uncomfortable situations but this person has a heart of gold...just processes social situations differently and I've learned acceptance.

There are people like this and there are plain A-holes. Regardless, just realize when you're at a car show it's like being in Wal-Mart or at the DMV. You're really close to alot of people and some of them will get on your nerves! That's when I'm thankful my mama raised me right and my brain chemistry is working.

In extreme situations, the question to a heckler of "Where is your car/truck?" works 99% of the time.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:19 PM   #44
61K10

and then you have the my brand only guy's, everything else is junk. or look at that pos low rider--some of the most detailed paint ever put on metal that i have ever seen. I like the craftsmanship on stuff myself---always will be jerks, so just enjoy------

my build is------------61K10 build
61K10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:38 PM   #45
DesertCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by oem4me View Post
It's really not an issue what or if he drove anything to the show himself, anyone that treats others with disrespect like that is simply an A-hole. Who gives a sh-t what he thinks or says. Tell him to go home and yell at his wife. Oh, and have a nice day.
^^^ THAT! ^^^
Old 04-23-2013, 06:46 PM   #46
theastronaut

Try driving a patina'd VW Bug to a cruise in- they won't even park beside it! And then there's the "when are you going to buy a real car?" or "what's that doing here?" remarks. I've had my '64 bug for 10 years and when we first started taking it to cruise-ins there were alot of negative comments and dirty looks for bringing one of "those cars" to a show. It's nowhere near bad now, they're becoming more accepted but there's always "that guy" in the bunch. Go and have fun, don't pay attention to anyone's bad attitude!
theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:02 PM   #47
lil_sahara450r

Ill put in my .02 cents on this also.. I have two vehicles that I absolutely love. My truck and my '69 camaro, neither one has ever been entered in a show. I love going to the car shows and looking and all but I do NOT build my vehicles to "out do" anyone elses for a 5 dollar trophy lol, and it seems like thats what a lot of the people around here are after. Most of the times, shows here in chickasha are full of vehicles owned by three people, and they win all of them!!

WITH THAT SAID!! It's the people that go to, and enter car shows that just do it for the love of the hobby that I try to seek out and talk to. The ones that BUILD their cars instead of BUY them as some sort of confidence booster. You will never hear any of these people bad mouth anybodies vehicle.

I for one, don't really care for anything mopar... at all... But you will never hear me say that out loud at a show. I may not care for the car, but I truly and sincerely respect all of the hard work and dedication that went into it.

It's the love of the cars, trucks, hard work, and skill that makes this hobby such a great one, if not the BEST one! All of those rude, arrogant, and disrespectful people that you run into at the shows aren't really any part of the true hobby
Frame off in progress!

'69 Camaro Original 327 4 speed - completed
lil_sahara450r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:07 PM   #48
Rac65

I agree with the guys here. It's your truck so you should do what you want. Anyone with cash or credit can buy a show truck and if that's what they want that's ok with me but I like to see cars and trucks that were built at home in your garage. I know a guy that has had some really nice older cars and trucks but he didn't build them he waited for someone else to do it then bought it and drove away. We don't all like the same things on our trucks but if they were all the same it would be pretty boring. If you are happy with it that is all that matters.
Posted via Mobile Device
Rac65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:20 PM   #49
RANDY COX

Remember there's 1 in every crowd.....
Old 04-29-2013, 12:22 AM   #50
414banger

well alittle update from this weekend i went to a somewhat local festival car show this weekend just to show the truck off again and man i never saw so many people checking it out and saying it is cool and then to top it off i won best rat rod trophy (i dont consider a rat rod lol its just a work in progress)
414banger is offline   Reply With Quote