The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-14-2013, 07:41 PM   #1
popsthebuilder

Question 73 c20 grease coming from wheel

73 c20 Cheyenne Super Camper Special. Got home today and noticed a black spatter pattern on my front passenger wheel. Once I looked a little closer I determined that it was grease. What is the most likely cause of this? Does it need to be repaired immediately, as in before I drive her again? This is my dd work truck and must be road worthy at all times. Any and all helpful input would be very appreciated.
popsthebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:33 PM   #2
Rubble

Re: 73 c20 grease coming from wheel

Any chance maybe your dust cap is loose or just not sealing tight? Jack up your front wheel& see if the bearing is loose.Was the dust cap,wheel hub hot when you noticed this?? Have you had any work done to the wheel bearings recently? If so maybe just a bit too much grease& once everything warms up,it's forced out.My car hauler will do this if the bearings are over greased.
Posted via Mobile Device

" Rock n Roll ain't noise pollution"
Rubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:50 PM   #3
superwade57

My guess is your front bearings need to be repacked with fresh grease. More likely than not the old grease has done some drying and some moving and there isn't enough grease in the bearing itself work properly. So the bearing got hot enough to melt tge remaining grease causing the spatter. Pull the bearings re pack with fresh grease put in a new seal and check ur race surfaces. If there's no pitting or discolor from heat leavem alone put your freshly packed bearings back in And good as new.
Posted via Mobile Device
superwade57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:52 PM   #4
superwade57

And yes should be done soon short drives OK but not desired def no long drives not even 20 miles in a shot.
Posted via Mobile Device

http://m.youtube.com/index?&desktop_...eature=related

Here's a video on trailer hub n bearing urs is practically same with the exception of brakes. You might also Jack it up and spin it real good listen for a groaning moaning growling. That indicates a bad bearing I always use timkin bearings can be found at Napa. Bearings aren't cheap but not expensive either might be good insurance to just replace bearings and look at races or cups depending on who you talk to same thing

Last edited by superwade57; 06-14-2013 at 09:03 PM.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:20 PM   #5
popsthebuilder

Thanks. Sounds like good advice. All I have to work on is gravel. Was top of my class years ago as a machinists mate but never really had any hands on experience. I do have a maintenance manual for the truck though. Would it be safe to jack truck with a bottle jack or do I need to invest in a floor jack? Do I need any special tools to remove/ replace bearings or will a like sized piece of tubing do the trick. Once again very helpful, much thanks.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:22 PM   #6
popsthebuilder

For whatever reason I can't watch the video.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:26 PM   #7
superwade57

Bottle Jack is great put a 2x6 or similar under do prevent gravel damage to Jack. You'll need a pair of needle nose pliers or side snips. To remove cotter pin an adjustable wrench for castle nuts a flat screw driver and small hammer for dust cap. The bearing will fall out the races are the challenge if they are bad but real easy if you know how to do them. If you had the hub off a good small shop could install races in 15 mins per side. And a seal in seconds. If you had hubs off and took them to shop I'd say an hour of labor would get them done for you.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-14-2013, 09:27 PM   #8
superwade57

I think cause its a mobile video just you tube search packing a wheel bearing. Glance at comments to make sure others agree with how it was done. That one is one of the first results and like 23 min long
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-14-2013, 09:37 PM   #9
popsthebuilder

Thanks again. I'll take care of it tomorrow.

uship sucks
Old 06-15-2013, 12:45 PM   #10
donut

Front or back side of wheel? There is a dust cap on the front, and a grease seal on the rear. I do the grease seal whenever I do the bearings, otherwise can't get to the rear bearing. Personally I'd do inner and outer. While set up to do it, may as well do the other side also. With my luck the drivers side would do the same thing next week.

Safety first on the gravel. A bottle jack can be unstable even on flat ground. Before I bought my floor jack, I'd crib up either the frame or axle, just in case. Timber cribbing, not an old cinder block. I currently have 2' square plywood "mats" that I'll use under my jackstands for stability on dirt. (3/4" plywood, not OSB)

I'm kinda like duct tape- no real purpose, but handy to have around.
donut is offline   Reply With Quote