The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-26-2013, 08:47 AM   #1
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

broke the cucv work horse

I thought these trucks were indestructible... I should know better..When Detroit makes these trucks they have crash test dummies, computers etc to test their vehicles but they need the guys that work for me.. If something can be busted they will find a way to do it... lol the motor started making a knock and violent shake after doing about four trips like this but while the truck was empty heading to pick up more dirt... got real lucky apparently it was am exhaust valve spring that let go so luckily its not a major job to replace it. Im replacing it with one through NAPA but im wondering all you diesel guys should I be replacing all the springs in the valvetrain and if so is there a heavy duty aftermarket brand that would take more abuse.. this truck does all the grunt work and I was told that these motors as stock have weak valve springs and don't take well to high revving.. when you need to move loads like this distances you wind up revving it high
Attached Images

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 04:06 PM   #2
79Betty

Re: broke the cucv work horse

Since you're gonna do one i'd do them all. While ya have it apart. Call comp cams. I'm going to go with them when i build my other 350 heard good from em.
1985 Chevrolet Custom Deluxe C10
79Betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 07:44 PM   #3
Rascal_one2001

Re: broke the cucv work horse

doesn't matter what you do 6.2 don't like any rpms even the 6.5s don't like them. I had a 6.2 that wouldn't run over 3k no matter how hard you pushed.