The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-03-2013, 11:32 PM   #1
Mgicm

50 build questions - help needed

So I have a project that was started by another that I acquired ..a 51 on s10. I had some questions that I did not see answered in other threads so hoping someone can assist.

1. How do people mount the front bumper to a s10 frame? There really is no way to do this. Ive seen the ezswaps kit has some huge frontpiece to bolt to the frame but is there a cheaper way? Also where exactly does the rear bumper mount and how? Sorry for the novice question.

2. What size/make/model of radiator do people use with a s10 swap? I am looking for a aluminum with fans I woudl suppose. DO any radiators fit in the space that maybe I could find at a junkyard? Didnt want to spend hundreds on a new radiator that I could find at a junk yard.

3. For the column going through the firewall, is there someone who has made or purchased a clean mount? RIght now I have some hacked piece that I do not like.

4. Is there a way to firm up the spot where the brake mounts to the firewall? I have heard that some models can weaken the firewall. Not sure if I have that type but would like to firm it up or change the style.

5. I have this odd hurst cable shifter hooked to a turbo 350. I do not like it as it is tricky to get into gear. I want a nice tall rat rod type shifter. Is there a cheaper kit than lokar at $300 to accomplish this?

6. Anyone replace the stock s10 chevy steering column/wheel? I might just want to do the wheel now but not sure what would fit nor how to change it. Anyone done this?

I know its alot.. sure appreciate any info/pictures as I am doing this alone. Will keep digging through posts to find out more info.

thanks
GP
Mgicm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:12 AM   #2
Bierkan

Re: 50 build questions - help needed

About the only one I can offer an answer on is 4. With a pedal assembly, there should be a plate/bracket on the inside of the firewall for the master cylinder to mount to. This should add strength to keep the firewall from flexing. If you do not have such a plate, you may need to fabricate something.

As for bumper mounting, again, you may need to fabricate brackets to adapt the stock, curved bumper mounts to the S-10 frame. I'm not sure how others have done that, but that's how it is on my C-10 framed 3100. The rear bumper was mounted under the frame. Now that I've stick built the rear frame on my truck, I'll have to fabricate something new.

I have a Chevette column and wheel. I'm in the same boat with you on appearance. That's a bridge I'll cross next year.

1950 3100 on a 1972 C10 Chassis

Truck Blog

Motorcycle Blog
Bierkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:16 PM   #3
alaska gasser

Regarding:
5. I have this odd hurst cable shifter hooked to a turbo 350. I do not like it as it is tricky to get into gear. I want a nice tall rat rod type shifter. Is there a cheaper kit than lokar at $300 to accomplish this?

I bought a new Mr. Gasket shifter off EBAY for $60 that comes with solid rod linkage. The only bad thing is it doesn't have a neutral safety.

Regarding:
6. Anyone replace the stock s10 chevy steering column/wheel? I might just want to do the wheel now but not sure what would fit nor how to change it. Anyone done this?

I picked up a '75 Chev tilt column and am putting it into my daughter's '46 International that sits on an S10 frame. The column cost her $20 and looks way better than the bulky S10 one.

I buy a lot of my parts off EBAY. If you are not in a hurry for something and keep watching, you can get some really good deals.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=592769 My daughter's '46 International PU
alaska gasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 02:33 PM   #4
buggy5872

#5.....I run the B&M Unimatic shifter. It looks like a manual and you do not have to make any mounts to make it function and look correct in the truck. Has nutral safety and reverse light switches.
1957 3100 with 59 fleetside bed
1957 5700 LCF Crew Cab "Big Bertha",1959 GMC F370
1958 GMC 600, 1946 Chevy, 1959 Viking 60 LCF
1974 Elcamino SS, 1979 6500 GMC Tilt Bed Wrecker
Big Bertha Build
buggy5872 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:10 PM   #5
BlueJeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgicm View Post
So I have a project that was started by another that I acquired ..a 51 on s10. I had some questions that I did not see answered in other threads so hoping someone can assist.

1. How do people mount the front bumper to a s10 frame? There really is no way to do this. Ive seen the ezswaps kit has some huge frontpiece to bolt to the frame but is there a cheaper way? Also where exactly does the rear bumper mount and how? Sorry for the novice question.

2. What size/make/model of radiator do people use with a s10 swap? I am looking for a aluminum with fans I woudl suppose. DO any radiators fit in the space that maybe I could find at a junkyard? Didnt want to spend hundreds on a new radiator that I could find at a junk yard.

3. For the column going through the firewall, is there someone who has made or purchased a clean mount? RIght now I have some hacked piece that I do not like.

4. Is there a way to firm up the spot where the brake mounts to the firewall? I have heard that some models can weaken the firewall. Not sure if I have that type but would like to firm it up or change the style.

I know its alot.. sure appreciate any info/pictures as I am doing this alone. Will keep digging through posts to find out more info.

thanks
GP
Take a peek through my build thread, it will answer most of your questions.

86 Suburban
88 Jeep 6.0 swap
49 Chevy truck
54 Chevy wagon

86 Suburban lowered 4/6
54 Chevy wagon
49 Chevy/s10 mix
88 Jeep Wrangler rockcrawler
BlueJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 05:51 PM   #6
05snopro440

Use a column from a 82-93 S-10, they're just the round style. That's what I used.

For the brake booster, use the brace from the dash to firewall from the S-10 under the dash of your truck. I did this on my 46 and it worked very well.

The lokar shifter may be expensive but it is very well built. The ones from American Shifter Company are cheaper but they're made with inferior parts and a poor design. You get what you pay for sometimes.

For the rad and bumper you'll need to use your head and some steel and fab something.
05snopro440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 07:43 PM   #7
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgicm View Post

Most guys build their own brackets off the front of the frame to mount the bumper.

Someone else will have to do this one.

You might rig a presentable piece of plate with a piece of tubing welded to it that the column goes trough to clean it up a bit. You might have to slice the tubing so that it will slip over the column though. Think just a little cover to go around it to clean up the looks.

I used a large piece of 3/16 or 1/4 inch steel plate on the inside of the firewall to spread the pressure out over a large area. I just cut it to fit and drilled holes to match the bolt pattern of the booster. I won't run one on the firewall again as that is just too much ugly demanding that anyone who looks under your hood look straight at it instead of all the work you did on the engine and the rest of the engine compartment. It's like a really hot readhead with a big zit on her nose, all you see is the zit.

To get the "old tall stick" look you just have to bight the bullet and put out the cash for the good one. American Shifter sells one for less with mixed reviews and some guys have fabricated their own using a shifter like your Hurst moved up in the middle of the trans hump (or where it would be) and welded a handle off an old truck trans on it. I'd prefer that you call it an old style floor shift rather than a freaking rat rod shifter as the RR thing Means "look at the junky POS I'm throwing together" to me.

Can you modify the shifter you have a bit so it is easier to shift" and modify it so you can use a long stock 4 speed style handle on it? Or you might be able to use another cable shifter off a donor rig and modify it to use the long handle. The shifter in my 2000 Cad DTS has a nice detent on it that makes it real positive to get in the gear you want and has a really long cable with it. you might be able to rig a long handle on something like that by using a long thread nut between the shifter and the handle with a jamb nut on it. You would still have to build a box around it and put a shift boot on it though.

Guys have used the stock S-10 columns quite a bit I think. That is what makes the S-10 swap thing cheap, using every part of the S-10 donor rig you can and then selling off what you don't use either as parts or scrap.

thanks
GP
That might give you a few ideas to go with.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 10:07 PM   #8
Atommik

Feel free to check out my build. I've dealt with most of these issues. The front bumper mounting I haven't done yet but it will require making and welding on a bracket that the original brackets will bolt to.
Atommik is offline   Reply With Quote