The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-07-2014, 09:37 PM   #1
bigchopperguy

axle stuck

Hello all, I just bought a 1971 gmc 3/4 ton pickup and installed new brake shoes, wheel cylinders and wheel bearing seals on the rear. when I try to reinstall the passenger side axle it will go in far enough to engage the splines but stops about an inch from going in all the way. it feels as though it is hitting something solid and the drivers side goes in fine. any thoughts? thanks, john
bigchopperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:50 PM   #2
hugger6933

Re: axle stuck

Welcome to the board John. Did you have both axles out at the same time? did they get mixed up ? Could that one go on the other side and be just a shade longer? Not trying to insult you or anything like that so please don't take it that way. that was just the first thought that came to my mind. I know on the newer trucks like 04 05 06 I have some of those I have junked and one axle is longer than the other by an inch or a inch and a half or so. That may be what drew my mind to that thought. good luck in finding your trouble and once again welcome. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 08:57 PM   #3
bigchopperguy

Thank you for the reply and the welcome. I have looked at all the things you mentioned and am quite frustrated. the axle slides in about half the length of the splines and then simply stops. I can see nothing inside that might interfere.
Old 02-08-2014, 11:32 PM   #4
spatz

First of all welcome to the board. Secondly i'm assuming a non posi rear and with that said; check pinion side gear and washer. I've known them to shift if you've had both axles out and replace one side. even if the carrier has moved a hair they can slip. You can stick your finger in the carrier through the side gear to see if it has moved. Good luck
spatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 05:58 PM   #5
bigchopperguy

the diff has posi. sorry I wasn't clear