The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-08-2014, 12:51 AM   #1
Zable49

Would These Headers Fit

I found these headers on ebay. Would they fit on our trucks without "MAJOR" fitting issues. I dont mind small adjustments I just dont want to cut out 3/4 of my truck just to fit them if you know what I mean.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Small-Block-Chevy-GM-Passenger-Car-Heavy-Duty-Black-Headers-Chevelle-Impala-SBC-/291074432983?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43c5635fd7&vxp=mtr
Zable49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 03:08 AM   #2
northern

Re: Would These Headers Fit

Do you have a manual or auto transmission?
northern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 03:21 AM   #3
Zable49

auto (turbo 350)
Old 02-08-2014, 06:45 AM   #4
72freak
Rottenwood Garage Member

Use these instead!!! Just about the same flow but you wont be constantly tightening them down, changing out blown gaskets and listening to ticking instead of exhaust sound. On top of all that they will look way better and actually look somewhat correct. I put these on every vehicle I build and I take the headers off of every (driver) vehicle I bring home and install these.

You will periodically hear they wont fit without altering something or they will hit the x-member. This is NOT the case. I have put them on 2x4, 4x4, truck, Blazer, Suburban, 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton and 1 ton. 1960-square body. Never had an issue.

http://www.ecklerstrucks.com/chevy-t...1947-1972.html
Attached Images

1972 Chevrolet C-20 Custom Camper "Dump Truck"
1972 Chevrolet C-20 Suburban "Big Green"
1969 Chevrolet C-50 Wedge Hauler "Leonidis"
1966 C-10 2x4 short fleet 327 4 speed "Race Truck"
1952 Plymouth Cranbrook "Rican" (my grandfathers)
1931 Ford Model A Coupe "Black Beauty"
1930 Ford Model A truck "Club Cab" 4x4

Rottenwood Garage and Speed Shop.....where everything must be racy!

It's not just a hobby..It's a LIFESTYLE!!!

Thanks for nothing Barrett-Jackson

You cant fix stupid or teach accountability!

Time wasters, looky Lous and tire kickers are everywhere!

Last edited by 72freak; 02-08-2014 at 11:00 PM.
72freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 08:37 AM   #5
bigmac73

the first pic looks like a cheap knock off, (no brand at all and see a low on the price),

as for the second post there is nothing performance about a stock manifold set up
Progression Ignition /Holley 750 DP/3:73 gear Eaton Limited Slip unit / 2 1/2 exhaust glasspacks
bigmac73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 08:45 AM   #6
kenn

72freak, I have a 72 with 350/350 will these fit in place of my stock ones.
kenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 08:59 AM   #7
Grumpy old man

Show me the BIG difference between stock rams horn manifolds and headers ? There is no noticeable gain on a dyno test that's why us OLD GUYS still use them and unless your spending a considerable amount of time over 5,000 rpm they are not worth the hype ! average cfm of stock rams horn is about 750 cfm ,most guys are using 600 cfm carbs on the street anyway ....Now if your slamming more air in by turbo or supercharging you would need more cfm but for the street they work great and look better than cheap headers anyday !

http://

A bigger increase is noted using 21/2 inch exhaust rather than a 2 inch noted here in green what goes in must also go out !

BAZINGA !

http://

Last edited by Grumpy old man; 02-08-2014 at 09:22 AM.
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 10:40 AM   #8
Orange Crate

X2 on the stock high perf 2 1/2 outlet manifolds. I had a pair above my garage for maybe 15 years, always thinking I would install them. So my 2" exhaust gave up the ghost from winter magnesium chloride and I dug them out and put 2 1/2" all the way back, WOW what a difference. The throttle response is really fun now on my 406. Peoples opinions of "high performance" can vary widely. I want to be able to pull a 10K lb trailer up a mountain pass and some others may want to go over that pass at 150mph. The manifolds I put on were from a Hi Perf 327 I think from the late 60s and it had the alternator mount cast into it, so I had to cut it off, but I put that manifold behind my alternator so you really can't even see it. I am not sure if there was a HiPerf 2 1/2 outlet that didn't have the alternator mount cast in. Maybe someone else can chime in on that issue.
Old 02-08-2014, 03:30 PM   #9
steves1967

Technology has come along way from the mid 60's and 70's. Full length headers will out flow a set of manifolds any day of the week, period. Old guy's don't want to embrace new technology I guess. If you're putting headers on a stock exhaust system- sure you wont see much improvement, but replace the entire exhaust system and you'll be miles ahead in power and torque!
'24 GMC CC 4x4 Duramax Dually
steves1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 03:48 PM   #10
geezer#99

Hey!!
I resemble that remark! I'm 62.
But, most header systems are built with production in mind and not ultimate flow. Most follow the 'if some is good then bigger is better'.
A well designed header and exhaust system will outflow stock manifolds and pipes for sure but most are not designed that way. Too big of a primary pipe, wrong collector length and size, wrong exhaust pipe size, poor muffler design and placement, poor tail pipe design.
You don't need 1 7/8 primaries or 3 inch collectors or 3 inch pipes with mega sized mufflers.
You need a balanced system. You want to get the exhaust out efficiently while reducing backflow. In that regard stock manifolds and pipes will likely outflow most bling bling header systems out there.
And if you want a little more flow from your iron manifolds, just extrudehone them.
http://extrudehoneafm.com/fuel_air_management.html
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 04:19 PM   #11
Fitz
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by steves1967 View Post
Technology has come along way from the mid 60's and 70's. Full length headers will out flow a set of manifolds any day of the week, period. Old guy's don't want to embrace new technology I guess. If you're putting headers on a stock exhaust system- sure you wont see much improvement, but replace the entire exhaust system and you'll be miles ahead in power and torque!
The Grumpy Old Man's plots speak for themselves. The difference is miniscule.
Your claims for torque, Horsepower and exhaust systems are, well, unsupported by anything other than your keyboard and are just:
Attached Images

Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 04:40 PM   #12
Zable49

You know its funny, I just asked about a single set of cheap headers and this forum went to header vs manifold grudge match.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:13 PM   #13
Grumpy old man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
The Grumpy Old Man's plots speak for themselves. The difference is miniscule.
Your claims for torque, Horsepower and exhaust systems are, well, unsupported by anything other than your keyboard and are just:
Plots ? what plots ? Who are you and why would I care ,you have your opinion I posted actual dyno charts . I was only trying to help the op to look at stock rams horn rather than leaky tink tink tink cheap headers and he could save money at the same time . I still dying to understand what plots you think I have ...It seems some guys agree ?
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 05:20 PM   #14
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zable49 View Post
You know its funny, I just asked about a single set of cheap headers and this forum went to header vs manifold grudge match.
It always will. The stock manifold low torque guys will always argue with the High RPM Street/strip guys.

One thing I can add... is that a cat shouldn't avoid headers beacuse they "always leak". Nothing could be further from the truth, and headers are not the headaches that many claim they are. The only reason fasteners on headers come loose and exhaust leaks happen is because the were overtorqued to begin with. Once you overtighten fasteners on header flanges and collector flanges and warp them, you might as well pull 'em out and restraighten the flange. I have had many sets of headers on many vehicles that have given many miles of leak free service.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 05:36 PM   #15
72freak
Rottenwood Garage Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenn View Post
72freak, I have a 72 with 350/350 will these fit in place of my stock ones.
Yes, they will work on a 72.

No, Im not an old guy. I do use headers on race cars. But for drivers...never.
1972 Chevrolet C-20 Custom Camper "Dump Truck"
1972 Chevrolet C-20 Suburban "Big Green"
1969 Chevrolet C-50 Wedge Hauler "Leonidis"
1966 C-10 2x4 short fleet 327 4 speed "Race Truck"
1952 Plymouth Cranbrook "Rican" (my grandfathers)
1931 Ford Model A Coupe "Black Beauty"
1930 Ford Model A truck "Club Cab" 4x4

Rottenwood Garage and Speed Shop.....where everything must be racy!

It's not just a hobby..It's a LIFESTYLE!!!

Thanks for nothing Barrett-Jackson

You cant fix stupid or teach accountability!

Time wasters, looky Lous and tire kickers are everywhere!
72freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 06:30 PM   #16
cdowns

i dont think those rams horns p[ictured will work for clearance issues with the towers used to mount the engine
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 06:32 PM   #17
68c10airstream

I feel compelled to respond. As a ase mechanic of over 30 years i know for a fact is this; first off i will take motor home applications as an example. We would fix a couple a year to never return except the owner thanking us as this lasts. If manifold is warped get it machined flat. DO NOT USE GASKETS, use rtv silicone. what we learned is this; gaskets do work provided that you constantly retighten them because it crushes dowm. Silicone sealer fills in the gaps without needing retorquing. Next application; headers, as long as they are good quality with a thick mounting flange, use them with silicone (oxygen sensor safe silicone for efi apps). Now torch off the 3 bolt collector and tig weld on v band clamps and don't look back. I had the same issues with the 3 bolt collector as the manifold gasket issues. The only thing that lasted on the 3 bolt collector was silicone (provided flanged were not warped too badly yet) and lock nuts and additional lock nuts and this was good for my last year of running. A buddy told me of v band clamps and they make a lot of sense as the turbo crowd uses them
68c10airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 07:08 PM   #18
jmorri34

Quote:
I found these headers on ebay. Would they fit on our trucks without "MAJOR" fitting issues. I dont mind small adjustments I just dont want to cut out 3/4 of my truck just to fit them if you know what I mean.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Small-Block-Chevy-GM-Passenger-Car-Heavy-Duty-Black-Headers-Chevelle-Impala-SBC-/291074432983?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43c5635fd7&vxp=mtr
I can tell you from first hand experience those will not work on a 69 without mods to the engine stands and a smidgen off the frame and if the 67-72 frames are the same it wont fit any of them IMO. The pipes for #1 and #2 holes will hit the engine stands because they take a downward route instead of up and over.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=568661

Last edited by jmorri34; 02-08-2014 at 07:22 PM.
jmorri34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 07:38 PM   #19
captnblood34

Harder and harder to dig through the BS these days to find the info you're really looking for. As for the stock manifold...ew. And as the for the power chart...cool. The fella just wants to know if those headers would have fit and its likely he doesn't want it to have those disgusting looking rams horns hugging his block. I'm in the market for headers myself and refuse to run block huggers or stock manifolds myself. Why? Because I'm stupid like that. I'm running CPP's motor mounts with a 350 perched on top in my 69 stepper. I had to beat a set of block huggers with my grandpas baby beater to get them to clear just for the virgin start up! I was told (any) pair of shorty headers would fit... Don't want to go through what so many have in the past, stuck with a pair of headers that don't fit. Anyone running a similar application?
captnblood34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 08:08 PM   #20
bigmac73

well looking at the charts I still see a improvement with headers no matter how miniscule you might think the difference is, I vote for headers

my concern is why is everybody having fitment issue ?? I bought a set of Headmans out of the LMC catalog, had no issues at all bolted right up you just have to make sure you order the correct ones for the setup you have
Progression Ignition /Holley 750 DP/3:73 gear Eaton Limited Slip unit / 2 1/2 exhaust glasspacks
Old 02-08-2014, 08:09 PM   #21
bigmac73

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68c10airstream View Post
I feel compelled to respond. As a ase mechanic of over 30 years i know for a fact is this; first off i will take motor home applications as an example. We would fix a couple a year to never return except the owner thanking us as this lasts. If manifold is warped get it machined flat. DO NOT USE GASKETS, use rtv silicone. what we learned is this; gaskets do work provided that you constantly retighten them because it crushes dowm. Silicone sealer fills in the gaps without needing retorquing. Next application; headers, as long as they are good quality with a thick mounting flange, use them with silicone (oxygen sensor safe silicone for efi apps). Now torch off the 3 bolt collector and tig weld on v band clamps and don't look back. I had the same issues with the 3 bolt collector as the manifold gasket issues. The only thing that lasted on the 3 bolt collector was silicone (provided flanged were not warped too badly yet) and lock nuts and additional lock nuts and this was good for my last year of running. A buddy told me of v band clamps and they make a lot of sense as the turbo crowd uses them
the new ball and socket flange is the way to go
Old 02-08-2014, 09:33 PM   #22
steves1967

You're right on a stock, barely breathing, 100,000 mile engine manifolds are probably better. However, put manifolds on a performance type engine and you'll choke the day lights out of it. To the member with the 406 that ran better with manifolds...I would suspect that his entire combo isn't matched and the manifolds acted as a crutch. 3/4 length headers don't add much flow over manifolds, but put a full length header on the engine and watch it purr!!
'24 GMC CC 4x4 Duramax Dually
steves1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:34 PM   #23
Zable49

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorri34 View Post
I can tell you from first hand experience those will not work on a 69 without mods to the engine stands and a smidgen off the frame and if the 67-72 frames are the same it wont fit any of them IMO. The pipes for #1 and #2 holes will hit the engine stands because they take a downward route instead of up and over.
Thank you J.
In general I dont mind doing a little adjustments on the frame and motor mounts.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:09 PM   #24
jmorri34

Smile Re: Would These Headers Fit

Quote:
Thank you J.
In general I dont mind doing a little adjustments on the frame and motor mounts.
Your very welcome Sir, anything else I can do to help just let me know!!

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=568661
jmorri34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 12:20 PM   #25
kenn

Thank you for the responce.
I like the look of the ram horns but I need to increase the flow of my exhaust system.
The only rams I have seen that are larger size are strate and my stock ones have a bend in them and I didn't know if thay would fit without any mods.
kenn is offline   Reply With Quote