The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-18-2014, 10:27 PM   #1
Willie 66

66 Carb Questions

Ok, so I've rebuilt a motorcycle carburetor before, but I just got my very first project truck (whoop!) and realized that I don't know all that I thought I knew.

I just got a 66 C10 with the "aftermarket" Target Master 292. I've done some research and it looks like it has the Rochester B 1bbl carburetor on it.

What in the world is this hard line for? I can't find any information anywhere about what it is, is not, could be, or shouldn't be. It's the bottom one in the attached picture. The hard line has a hose attached at the end with a machine screw inserted in the hose. This seems really, really stupid and not OEM. Thoughts, anyone?
Attached Images

Willie 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:56 PM   #2
Wrenchbender Ret

Re: 66 Carb Questions

The 5/16 line at the top is the fuel inlet tube. The small one at the base is for dist vacuum advance. It should have a hose connecting it to the vacuum chamber on the dist.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 11:05 PM   #3
Willie 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrenchbender Ret View Post
The 5/16 line at the top is the fuel inlet tube. The small one at the base is for dist vacuum advance. It should have a hose connecting it to the vacuum chamber on the dist.
Gotcha. It's not connected to anything (bought it that way) so I had no idea what it was. It just connects to the distributor?

Thanks for the help!
Old 03-19-2014, 12:40 PM   #4
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

There's a vacuum advance booster on the distributor, its on the front side on the bottom of it. You should hook that back up...you'll notice a major difference in performance when you hook it back up. Here's a picture of where it hooks up. You can see it barely in the picture...but its the little chrome booster on the bottom of the distributor.
Attached Images

TJ's Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 04:15 PM   #5
hddoc

How do you know its a Rochester carb ? I have one that looks like your and need a rebuild kit for it. Thanks Doc
hddoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:09 AM   #6
Willie 66

Just based on product manuals and all the rebuild kits/replacement parts out there I know it's a Rochester carb. Also, the number on the side of the carb base matches Rochester numbers.

Checked last night and the distributor doesn't even have a vac advance... No wonder the tube is plugged.
Old 03-26-2014, 02:44 AM   #7
Lowl!f3

Mine is 65 and they are correct.. That line is for vacuum advance on the dist.
If you like I could post up a couple pics. Mines still got it.

Oh and we are only a few miles apart .
Old 04-08-2014, 07:21 PM   #8
Willie 66

Thanks for all the info y'all. I never would have guessed about vac advance. To be honest, this is my first multi-cylinder engine to ever really work on haha.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:02 PM   #9
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

No biggie. lol I will say that once you get it hooked up you'll notice a huge difference in performance.
TJ's Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 07:21 PM   #10
luvbowties

Smile Re: 66 Carb Questions

Sounds like you face 1 of 2 situations. Either (1)someone has removed/rigged/modified-for-performance(?) the vac. adv. from your oem dist. & plugged the vac. adv. tube; OR, (2)possibly a p/o has installed an after-market dist. which was designed w/out a vac. advance at all--kinda like a newer-engineered dist. with full mechanical/centrifugal adv. [and possibly also be electronic to replace the original, points-type dist]. You may just be the owner of a rare, performance dist. for a "292": may luck be on your side.

Oh, welcome to the forum. Hope it means as much to you as it has to me. There's a bunch of gracious and knowledgeable guys here--a bunch of future friends awaiting chances to meet and help you...and hopefully learn from your background, too!!!
sam
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote