The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-07-2014, 03:09 PM   #26
ChevDog1

Re: 400 turbo shift 2nd to 3rd gear

If you are going to add a kickdown switch, why not just grab a stock one out of the wrecking yard? Your truck should have the mounting bracket for it right next to the gas pedal. I just grabbed one at a swap meet Saturday for $10. It was originally in a GTO, but fits my bracket perfectly.
ChevDog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:35 PM   #27
rexrandom

True...there are lots of cars & trucks out there with the th400. I'm always at odds between doing it cheap and.....Ooooh shiny!
rexrandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 12:24 AM   #28
snaptoo

Even though this is an old thread , I thought I'd give you my answer to the 400 2-3 problem ! I had a local performance tranny shop go through my 400 while I was changing engines and when I put it back in it started the exact same symptom ! I used steel and rubber for the modulator connection and had good vacuum , the problem got worse and n desperation , I dropped the pan and found the "Dump Switch" on the valve body loose ! This is the switch that is activated by the electrical connection on the case . Wasn't a biggie to fix but it turned me against this guys workmanship !
snaptoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 02:17 AM   #29
chris989

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaptoo View Post
Even though this is an old thread , I thought I'd give you my answer to the 400 2-3 problem ! I had a local performance tranny shop go through my 400 while I was changing engines and when I put it back in it started the exact same symptom ! I used steel and rubber for the modulator connection and had good vacuum , the problem got worse and n desperation , I dropped the pan and found the "Dump Switch" on the valve body loose ! This is the switch that is activated by the electrical connection on the case . Wasn't a biggie to fix but it turned me against this guys workmanship !
Good find, I no longer have the 400,, I am in the process of upgrading to a 4l80. It

Thanks for the post, I am sure it will help someone in the future
chris989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 01:57 AM   #30
snaptoo

Rather than "Dump Switch " , I should have used "Downshift Solenoid " , Sorry !
snaptoo is offline   Reply With Quote