The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-12-2014, 11:15 PM   #26
RedneckRodder

Re: What made you pick an AD 47-54

I don't remember seeing the truck in the movie but she was hotter than a two dollar pistol in those days.

I have a hard time seeing through the styles of the day, I graduated in '05, but after Googleing some pictures I can see what you're talking about.
RedneckRodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 12:08 PM   #27
mechanixman

These are some great stories.
Here's mine.
Ever since I could remember, when going to bass pro with my dad and grandpa, we'd always make sure to stop by "the truck". It just happened to be a black 1950 1/2 ton with wooden crates in the back that they used as shelving.
When I was 16 I found a project camaro. It was just the shell of an 81 t top camaro, but it would be perfect for what I wanted. A 1970-73 camaro with T tops! (not a factory option). My dad said no because he wanted proof that I wouldn't lose gumption halfway through the project. So I bought a go kart for $75 a couple weeks later. I spent several months fixing, riding, breaking, fixing and riding it again. As I was trying to sell the go kart, I was looking at possible projects. I found this 72 camaro that I thought would be perfect. Only problem with it was when we opened the trunk, the leaf springs were popping up through the floor (the frame was so deteriorated that the springs punched through it all).

At this point I realized I'm probably not getting a muscle car as my first vehicle so I started thinking what would be just as cool if not cooler? That AD bass pro truck kept coming to mind. So I spent a few months running through craigslist ads looking from Milwaukee all the way down to St. Louis. I had watched this red '52 3/4 ton start off at $1750. And over the course of 4 months drop down to $750. I had sold the go kart for $650 and a week later traveled 6.5 hours to get my first truck.
Attached Images

Projects:
1952 Chevy 1 ton = The Build page
mechanixman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 10:31 PM   #28
Advanced Design

We have a '49 on the farm that I learned to drive in and a guy in high school had one with a small block, two fours and a four speed that screamed. Have loved the round fenders ever since.
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:52 AM   #29
Hampshire

For me, I would probably have been equally happy with a TF or others - I looked at the whole 40-65 spectrum (even Fords!). My wife was a motivator though. I had just sold my modern truck and started having "withdrawal symptoms”. She's always liked old trucks, wanted one and pressed me to buy one. We had a friend with an AD in the 70s. Great truck until it rolled (unattended) into a canyon…always liked that truck. Because of that, we agreed that the ADs narrowly beat the many others (which may still be in the future –who knows?)

Another reason is affordability. I got out of it a couple decades ago when I sold my last Corvette. Now, to own cars I've had: Vettes up to a 67, Tri Fives & many others requires a 6-figure income, digging aggressively into a home equity line or an inheritance. The explosion of collecting prices in the last 2 decades has been shrinking the list of "affordables" for me. I could go on & on, as this is another topic & thread…suffice to say ADs (and others) can be had built for a variety of budgets.

One last thing - originality. I love a correct original as much as the next guy, but the spreading trend of modifying instead of doing a resto has opened up more avenues (for more budgets and tastes). "Truck world" has this in spades.
Hampshire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 05:25 PM   #30
klutz51

I have always thought the AD was as American as it gets for Chevy Trucks. My son and I finally came across a 51 5 window 1/2 ton that a older guy was selling due to health issues. My son and I loaded up and drove on Labor Day 2012 to pick it up. Now my boy is 10 going on 11 and we are working together and are close to being roadworthy, so when he is 16, I will turn it over to him (after a few years to myself). This has been the best project ever doing this with him, and he and myself have learned so much together.
klutz51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 04:49 AM   #31
TNACUSTOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klutz51 View Post
I have always thought the AD was as American as it gets for Chevy Trucks. My son and I finally came across a 51 5 window 1/2 ton that a older guy was selling due to health issues. My son and I loaded up and drove on Labor Day 2012 to pick it up. Now my boy is 10 going on 11 and we are working together and are close to being roadworthy, so when he is 16, I will turn it over to him (after a few years to myself). This has been the best project ever doing this with him, and he and myself have learned so much together.
Post some picks my dad bought mine when I was 11 and then give it to me. I drove it to high school then it quit running I was going to put a V8 in it and canaro front clip because that was what you did in the 80's I so glad it has been in the barn for 30 years now I really know what I want to do to it.
TNACUSTOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 10:16 AM   #32
solidaxel

My contribution to "RECYCLE"
I quit drinking beer 24 years ago and I used to save the cans, so I started saving AD's
53 TuTone Extended Cab 350 4-Spd 3:08 (SOLD)
53 Chevy Moldy pearl green ZZ-4 4L60E 9" 3:25
55 GMC 1st Black Mll (ZZ4) ZZ6 TKO 600 5 sp 3:73
62 Solidaxle Corvette Roman Red (327
340hp 4spd 3:36) C4 & C5 suspension tube chassis
LS 3 4L70E
65 Corvette Coupe 327 350hp 4spd 4:11
78 Black Silverado SWB (350/350) 5.3 & 4L60E 3:42
2000 S-Type 3.0 (wife cruiser)
2003 GMC SCSB 5.3 4L60E 3:42
solidaxel is offline   Reply With Quote