The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-20-2014, 10:17 PM   #1
primetime

When is a '72 not a '72?

Just a question, when doing Frankenstein projects and mixing throughout the years, when does the time come that it is no longer the same year c10 you started with? My '72 that I bought from a member here on this forum has gone through some changes. I swaped out the frame from '72 to a '68 already and kept everything else '72. Butttt... I've seen the damage underneath my cab now and thinking I'll be better off with a DIFFERENT cab instead of repairing the '72. If I did this, could I still use my title Oreo I have to burn it and buy a new cab with title? And then the truck becomes whatever year that cab and title is?
1977 Chevy nova (first car/ first love)
primetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 10:27 PM   #2
Greasey Harley

Re: When is a '72 not a '72?

There is a serial # on the frame. I would keep both titles and take them and the truck to the DMV for a VIN inspection. Could save a lot of trouble in the future. If the truck is ever sold across state lines it could be subject to a mandatory inspection. If they find mismatched numbers they are not going to have a sense of humor about the situation. If you have nothing to hide, it shouldn't be a problem. VIN inspections are $20 here in Idaho.
Greasey Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 11:10 PM   #3
primetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasey Harley View Post
There is a serial # on the frame. I would keep both titles and take them and the truck to the DMV for a VIN inspection. Could save a lot of trouble in the future. If the truck is ever sold across state lines it could be subject to a mandatory inspection. If they find mismatched numbers they are not going to have a sense of humor about the situation. If you have nothing to hide, it shouldn't be a problem. VIN inspections are $20 here in Idaho.
Good advice. I'll hold on to the titles. But can i even still call it a '72? Or Maybe I'm just stuck with the garbage cab and have to patch it up. Because if I buy a new cab, the original title that I'm holding on to don't match the new shortbed frame or a new cab. It would become a useless piece of paper when buying a new cab.
Old 04-20-2014, 11:11 PM   #4
truckster

In my case, the DMV said the information on the title associated with the VIN was correct, and accused me of attempting to commit fraud when I told them I had replaced an Olds diesel with a 455. I was just trying to be honest with them.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 12:03 AM   #5
joeydurango

I've got a '72 with a '70 cab. The VIN plate from the '72 was removed and re-attached to the '70 cab, but obviously not factory. I'm in Colorado, bought the truck in Kansas, so mandatory VIN inspection - but the VIN plate and frame VIN matched, so nothing illegal was suspected. All the same, we still ended up having to apply for an "assigned VIN" - which was a six-week process that cost very little and netted us a new VIN plate on the cab, right below the original one. Everything is now titled, insured, etc., under the new VIN. The old one has no purpose but to keep a coded record of what the truck is/was for the future...

It's a pain in the neck but not impossible or even really difficult.
1976 Trans Am | 455/4-spd | TOTALED
joeydurango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 06:22 PM   #6
primetime

I decided to buy a '68 swb fleetside instead of searching for a new cab. it seems like a better option than fighting with the DMV to prove no fraud is at play with my '72 truck on a '68 frame. i'll throw a few pictures up of my new toy later this week. maybe I can recoup a little cash by selling the '72 cab with title or even a few components of the longbed. my wife is pissed that I have a small yard full of truck parts and pieces, but I told her it was for a good cause, lol.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:41 PM   #7
leftybass209

Seems like you're putting the cart before the horse. Correct me if i'm wrong, but you haven't had any dealings with the DMV about this yet, and are going to purchase another anyways before you even try and find out the info? I know every DMV and state is a bit different, but I live in CA, probably one of the strictest states and have had absolutely NO trouble with my Texas titled 69 SWB, that I have swapped a No titled 71 CA cab onto. Highway patrol said file for title, go to them for an inspection and a new clean VIN that they said will match my frame. After that, go to DMV and register. Call your local Highway Patrol or DPS they should have a vehicle "expert" that can tell you the do's and do not's in your state. Information is free if you ask. You can be vague with law enforcement. You don't have to give them VIN numbers and title information for some hypothetical questions. Best of luck.
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 10:13 PM   #8
primetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftybass209 View Post
Seems like you're putting the cart before the horse. Correct me if i'm wrong, but you haven't had any dealings with the DMV about this yet, and are going to purchase another anyways before you even try and find out the info? I know every DMV and state is a bit different, but I live in CA, probably one of the strictest states and have had absolutely NO trouble with my Texas titled 69 SWB, that I have swapped a No titled 71 CA cab onto. Highway patrol said file for title, go to them for an inspection and a new clean VIN that they said will match my frame. After that, go to DMV and register. Call your local Highway Patrol or DPS they should have a vehicle "expert" that can tell you the do's and do not's in your state. Information is free if you ask. You can be vague with law enforcement. You don't have to give them VIN numbers and title information for some hypothetical questions. Best of luck.
I probably did put the cart before the horse by buying the new toy. My last experience with the SC DMV was a rough one. When I bought my 67 Ford Galaxie 500 I was highly disappointed with them and the seller to the point a combat veteran shouldn't get. Just to avoid pointless drama in proving my purchase is legit and not 'beating' the system I decided to get a whole truck. Just a little peace of mind for me
Old 04-21-2014, 11:11 PM   #9
special-K
Special Order

'72 is no longer a '72 when the VIN doesn't have the C for Chevy or T for GMC prefix

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 03:12 PM   #10
primetime

it has not been delivered to me yet but a couple of pics where it was.
Attached Images