The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-03-2014, 11:23 AM   #1
mikentosh

Dash Bezels - Black/Chrome vs Black/Silver

Can anybody give me some idea on the differences between the 75-77 black/chrome and black/silver dash bezels that all the parts places seem to carry? Classic Industries has the best photos of each one (They appear to be different photos) but both of them look virtually the same. Is it just the chrome one is more reflective?

Nobody makes a repop 73-74 bezel do they? I've given up hope trying to find one Looks like the windshield wiper area is different, and the headlight knob surround is raised on the 73-74.
mikentosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 06:20 PM   #2
bgarr01

Re: Dash Bezels - Black/Chrome vs Black/Silver

Its like you said. The chrome will have a reflective finish. The silver is basically just silver paint. I recently purchased one from classic industries and was not impressed. Mine was a non ac model. The "cubbies" were extremely thin plastic screwed to the back. I believe only like 2 screws actually lined up.
bgarr01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 11:51 AM   #3
Keith Seymore

From the factory: all of the bezels were the same plastic molded part. The silver applique was added (at the part supplier) and used for Silverado (RPO YE9) equipped vehicles.

Interesting tidbit (to me anyway): the '64 -'67 Pontiac GTOs were done the same way. This would also allow you to "save" a damaged base part by putting the applique over the blemish and using it anyway.

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 01:18 PM   #4
mikentosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
From the factory: all of the bezels were the same plastic molded part. The silver applique was added (at the part supplier) and used for Silverado (RPO YE9) equipped vehicles.

Interesting tidbit (to me anyway): the '64 -'67 Pontiac GTOs were done the same way. This would also allow you to "save" a damaged base part by putting the applique over the blemish and using it anyway.

K
Thanks for the info Keith. Was both the silver and chrome used originally on the different trim levels?
mikentosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 02:07 PM   #5
rich weyand

Mine was the black with silver, but when I got it a lot of the silver was rubbed off. I got a silver paint marker at Hobby Lobby and easily re-applied silver paint and it came out looking brand new. Can't do that with the chrome.

1978 K10 RCSB DD.
rich weyand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 07:01 AM   #6
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikentosh View Post
Thanks for the info Keith. Was both the silver and chrome used originally on the different trim levels?
Base part was black plastic with silver/chrome around the bezels.

Uplevel was the above with the shiny metallic applique covering most of the black.

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:05 AM   #7
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikentosh View Post
Can anybody give me some idea on the differences between the 75-77 black/chrome and black/silver dash bezels that all the parts places seem to carry? Classic Industries has the best photos of each one (They appear to be different photos) but both of them look virtually the same. Is it just the chrome one is more reflective?

Nobody makes a repop 73-74 bezel do they? I've given up hope trying to find one Looks like the windshield wiper area is different, and the headlight knob surround is raised on the 73-74.
I think you are right on. The 73-74 wiper switch is about 1/2" or so higher than the 75-80 trucks, and is lit by a fiber optic cable. The 75-77 wiper switch is bigger and is lit by a bulb. You have to cut the hole out and move the wiper switch down to use a later bezel.