The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-26-2014, 08:10 AM   #1
rrenner

Priming new fuel system on 58 Apache

Almost at the point of starting my 350 for the first time. Working on the fuel system, (stock mechanical fuel pump, mustang fuel tank, steel fuel line, Edelbrock carb.) I think I know how to prime the bowls in the carb, my question is with the rest of the system from tank to carb. Do I need to prime the line and pump? If this was a 50 Johnson I'd squeeze the bulb... Thanks
rrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 10:21 AM   #2
Nordic

Re: Priming new fuel system on 58 Apache

Fuel pump will "prime" itself with a few cranks of the engine. Just crank it a few times and it will fill the carb and be ready to run. good luck!
Nordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 01:12 PM   #3
Cape Codder

While the fuel pump is pulling gas to the carb the oil pump is lubing the motor before starting. Thats also a good thing.
Cape Codder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 02:01 PM   #4
Speedbumpauto

While I used to believe the same thing and prime my builds by cranking the starter(engine) without spark plugs, I have given credence to the idea that the cranking without running oil pressure is also wiping off the protective coatings, etc. put on the lifters and cam(flat tappet) without the benefit of the oil storm a running engine has. That oil splash is the major reason cam folks recommend having a 1500-2000 rpm break in period. I have never lost an engine doing it the old way, but a pretty convincing argument caused me to now use a priming tool and a drill for the prime and an electric fuel pump on my run stand so the engine starts up almost immediately. I'm not here to debate either practice, just to provide additional thinking I found useful.
Speedbumpauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 02:09 PM   #5
Cape Codder

That certainly makes sense I know that I feel better about starting an engine that has set for a while by cranking before putting fuel to it but with assembly lube it might be better your way.
Cape Codder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 02:30 PM   #6
rrenner

Speedbumpauto's comments are sorta whats got me thinking about priming the fuel system. I read about the cam break in period and would like to not have to worry about getting fuel while wiping out all the cam lube. One less thing to think about.. I guess I'm freaking about all the other things having never rebuilt an engine before, I know this isn't rocket surgery. An electric fuel pump would be easier to prime. Is there any way to prime a mechanical type without cranking the engine?
rrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 02:42 PM   #7
Speedbumpauto

It's my bet if you prime the float bowl with a bulb through the vent it will run until the pump primes and feeds the carb. For more insurance, you could take the hose off the carb inlet and put a mightyVac pump on the line and pull fuel all the way up to the carb inlet, hook it up, prime the bowl and you're golden. Those vacuum pumps are the handiest things.
Speedbumpauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 03:19 PM   #8
protour

engine oil prime aside.... pump the gas pedal while cranking the engine over until it finally starts. The tank will help gravity feed and get to the engine. Nothing to over complicate here...
protour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 07:28 PM   #9
_Ogre

pouring a little gas in the carb starts it right up
this in turn primes your fuel system and gets the oil pressure up

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote