The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-02-2014, 05:02 PM   #1
BWickstrom

Vent Window latch question

I bought a new vent latch because the one I had kept coming off. I installed the new one and it came off too. When it did I lost the Roll Pin. When I close the vent there is a fair amount of pressure on it, maybe too much due to old seals, etc.

I saw there was a thread about them in FAQ http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=603510

But there wasn't an answer to my question, is there anything you guys have done, or modified, to keep the Roll Pin in place?
BWickstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 04:52 AM   #2
Woogeroo

Wink Re: Vent Window latch question

a few tips :

correct size roll pin...

Put the roll pin in the hole, with the vent window latch on, then you do a funky balancing act with the latch, the pin and some tools... take a small punch, a scratch awl / itty bitty screwdriver, something to stick inside the roll pin and spread it out(without breaking the glass! ) / mushroom the metal to expand it. A piece of tape on one side of the latch itself to keep it from falling out while you are expanding it may help.

It is a thin length of rolled metal, so you expand it from the inside so that it will 'grab' inside and not fall out. It's easier said than done, I had a piece of wire in mine for the longest time because of the same issue. There is probably a tool for doing this somewhere... and on the assembly line I'm sure there was some super quick way to do it.

That's how I finagled it in my driveway tho'.

I hope that makes sense?

Maybe someone will chime in with a better explanation... or the name of a better tool.

-W
Woogeroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 09:30 AM   #3
BWickstrom

Re: Vent Window latch question

Thanks W....I'll give it a go. I'll be replacing the seals on the windows first, then on to the roll pin.
Old 07-04-2014, 07:13 AM   #4
Woogeroo

details... on those pesky vent window seals...

Vent window weather seals

also has a link to Alan's Classic great write up/photo pictorial for doing the seals... (which is listed and linked in the 60-66 FAQ under Glass).

-W
Old 07-04-2014, 11:05 AM   #5
earl84

Ditto Woogeroo's advice on spreading the roll pin out. I just replaced my vent latches and couldn't do the balancing act, so I used my vise to just get the roll pin started, then moved it to the truck in place (still had to do a balancing act there, but it was an easier balancing act, haha). I used a clamp with rubber on the jaws to hold it in place and squeeze the spring washer thing that and then it was simple to use a punch and hammer to drive the roll pin home.
earl84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 11:12 AM   #6
Woogeroo

For something so simple... it takes a lot of figuring out.

There has to be a tool or something that makes it easier, we should ask Wrenchbender Ret., he'd know.

-W

p.s. ok, asked Wrenchbender Ret., he has experience.
Old 07-05-2014, 01:08 PM   #7
BWickstrom

Thanks Earl, I'll give it a shot