The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-03-2014, 01:04 AM   #1
Cmillet

Fiberglass in the drip rail

I've read every post on "roof" "drip rail" "fiberglass" etc... And can't find anything about putting fiberglass in the drip rail. Can someone tell me why I should not? I am repairing the inner roof and can see daylight coming inn from the drip rail. (After I cut away some of the inner roof.) some of these are pin holes but some are just daylight between the sandwiched outer roof and windshield frame. Just thought I could use fiberglass to seal this off. Your thoughts???
Cmillet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 02:18 AM   #2
68shortwide

Re: Fiberglass in the drip rail

I wouldn't but that's just me, I'm not a body men but to me it would just give rust a great place to start, id weld the pinholes and just repaint the affected areas
1968 ShortWide
1969 ShortStep
68shortwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 12:29 PM   #3
Fitz
Account Suspended

Re: Fiberglass in the drip rail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmillet View Post
I've read every post on "roof" "drip rail" "fiberglass" etc... And can't find anything about putting fiberglass in the drip rail. Can someone tell me why I should not? I am repairing the inner roof and can see daylight coming inn from the drip rail. (After I cut away some of the inner roof.) some of these are pin holes but some are just daylight between the sandwiched outer roof and windshield frame. Just thought I could use fiberglass to seal this off. Your thoughts???
Fiberglass will crack as the roof expands and contracts in the sun allowing the seam to open. The factory used a flexible seam sealer to keep the seam from opening and letting rain in when the metal moves. Glassing that joint in is just begging for a rust problem. I hope you know how to weld because that's the only way to fix the problem you have now. If you don't or you don't have a welder check with your local community college or any high school that has an automotive program. Chances are you can get the instructor to use your truck as a "teaching project".
Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote