The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-04-2014, 07:15 PM   #1
miniman

Brake lines

Anybody have any suggestion on where to get some pre-bent stainless brake lines other that Inline Tubing? I ordered inline tubing and they are horrible. Nothing fits correctly, and I called them to tell them they messed up on my order. They said they were the correct ones. Absolutely horrible. Thanks for your help.
miniman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 07:53 PM   #2
JonnyC10
Account Suspended

Re: Brake lines

CPP sells them. classicperform.com
JonnyC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 08:06 PM   #3
amashal

I bought mine from Classic Industries. First set was wrong due to misprint on their website. Talked to tech department before getting another set sent to me and they were very helpful making sure I got the correct lines. He was able to give me fitting to fitting lengths. I got the second set and they fit perfect.
amashal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 08:07 PM   #4
Vintage Windmills
Vintage 4x4s

The Right Stuff fit pretty well, not perfect but not too bad.

67 GMC K1500 Custom- 305V6 SM420, PTO, Ram Assist, yellow (the outcast) (project period correct upgrades)
67 GMC C2500 351V6 TH400, AC, PS, PB (can't decide what to do with. Update, decided to keep and will restore )
86 CHV K30 502 th400, apple red NEW
71 CHV K20 350 SM465, ochre (saved work truck)
71 CHV K20 292 SM465, white, tach, PTO, (future project)
72 CHV K20 350 350th, medium blue (project stocker)
01 CHV K2500hd crew, indigo blue

^3 dont run and the others don't see winter either
'86 K30 Cummins "Fireside" thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=649649
'71 K20 "get driveable" thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=590642
'72 K20 Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=493477&page=6
Vintage Windmills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 08:46 PM   #5
FlameOut

I bought mine from Right Stuff also. For my 72 K10 and my 67 ChevelleSS. Nice fit. Not 100% perfect, but I was happy with the fit

2004 Chevy Silverado Z71 Ext Cab 1500
1972 Chevy K-10 SOLD
1967 Chevelle SS
FlameOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 09:04 PM   #6
ItsRandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniman View Post
Anybody have any suggestion on where to get some pre-bent stainless brake lines other that Inline Tubing? I ordered inline tubing and they are horrible. Nothing fits correctly, and I called them to tell them they messed up on my order. They said they were the correct ones. Absolutely horrible. Thanks for your help.
I had the same experience you had. I bought some straight lengths of stainless tube for fuel line, trans cooler lines, oil cooler lines, a couple of good tubing benders and bent the lines myself. I wish I would have thrown the brake lines away I bought and bent those myself also. It's not that hard but takes a little time and it's well worth it.
Attached Images

ItsRandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 12:32 AM   #7
FirstOwner69

I got mine from The Right Stuff (www.getdiscbrakes.com) in 1999. They did require some tweaking, and a couple were wrong when I finally installed them in 2012. I called them, and they bent (no pun intended) over backwards to make it right. They even bent a couple to match my originals... at NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE after 13 years. Can't beat that for customer service!
FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 08:47 AM   #8
Tom Vogel
2WD Jimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniman View Post
That IS strange. Mine were perfect. hmm
Tom Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 12:29 PM   #9
cdowns

i've never had a problem with inline tube stuff
might help if you said what you were trying to order some info helps to determine the problem if it is them or you just dont know how to order the right stuff
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 12:34 PM   #10
mikewoods

I know for a fact that most, if not all of the vendors mentioned in this thread get their pre-bent lines directly from Inline Tube.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:10 PM   #11
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vogel View Post
That IS strange. Mine were perfect. hmm
Mine too... couldn't be happier with my SS Inline Tube lines.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 05:22 PM   #12
davepl

This: http://inline-tube.pissedconsumer.com/

If it's a half-ton small block, you'll be fine. But if it deviates in any way (3/4 ton, big block, special paint code) then no one makes anything for it and you'll have to make your own.

If you're ever doing to do it on more than one car, I'd buy the hydraulic flaring tool (Mastercool, Mac, a bunch of people rebrand the same one, but its a great one), tube nuts, and tubing, and do it yourself.

It's either quite fun and rewarding or really frustrating, but it's a good skill to have. Your first time out is easier with mild steel, because stainless is hard to bend. But it was my first time and I went stainless.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 06:21 PM   #13
miniman

Sounds good, thanks for all the help.
miniman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 01:10 AM   #14
oldschool18

get yourself a roll of copper nickel annealed tubing, it bends really easy and most bends you don't even need a tool. Its lasts forever..........

62 Impala
70 C-10 LWB
71 K-10 SWB
85 C-10 LWB==SOLD
01 2500 HD

Members Met......2003Silverado (Dave)
oldschool18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 01:11 AM   #15
John H.

The Right Stuff Detailing. I have known the owner for over 30 years. These trucks are confusing to all the tube suppliers. If they are wrong or don't have your specification, they will bend it for you. They have the CNC laser wand to scan the line into their machine. Pretty cool process.
John H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 10:24 AM   #16
my67c20

Make you own. Did the same thing bought from In-line, did not fit, tried Right Stuff, did not fit. I just took there parts re-bent them, added what was needed, and called it a day.
my67c20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 10:35 AM   #17
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool18 View Post
get yourself a roll of copper nickel annealed tubing, it bends really easy and most bends you don't even need a tool. It lasts forever..........

I agree with oldschool. I used the newer NICOPP brake lines (nickel+Copper+Iron) on one of my projects. Really easy to bend and they will not rust. CNC 325 is 3/16" and CNC 425 is 1/4". I bought mine from this guy:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/swalsh72/m.h...p2047675.l2562

Best price I could find at the time. You can actually coil it around a 1" wooden dowel by hand without kinking it. It also flares easy with a regular double flaring tool and there are coated flare nuts available. Some of the auto parts stores carry it but it is quite a bit more $.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 12:48 PM   #18
Classic Heartbeat
Project Junkie! Fishing Poor!!

I have been an In-Line Tube dealer for many years and I must say that most of the time they get it right, however if they get it wrong it is their opinion that it is never their fault!! I agree their customer service is crap even for their long time dealers. It is incomprehensible to them that they may have made something wrong.
They will make you send lots of pictures, (for what reason I don't know) because in the end you will have to send them your originals so they can copy them! Then you get "Custom bent" lines. (and they get a correct sample to copy) They say your truck is different than every other truck out there... We talked to our technicians and they say the lines sent were correct. Not just lines mind you, but e-brake cables too. I could go on and on, but for the sake of this thread I wont.
Just know that if you buy their products you may be in for a fight and added expenses if they are wrong. I think that all the picture taking is designed to frustrate you into just making what you have work!! WES
Call us Toll Free (888) 338-2502
Like Us on Facebook
No appointment necessary.
72 BB Chevy Custom Deluxe / Custom Camper
67 I-6 (Soon to be 5.7 LS1) Panel
68 BB Chevy Short Bed
72 6.0 LQ9 Short Bed Chevy 4X4
Olympia's fastest growing truck parts supplier.
Olympia's home for Wayward Chevys
Classic Heartbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 01:06 PM   #19
CUSTOM/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
I agree with oldschool. I used the newer NICOPP brake lines (nickel+Copper+Iron) on one of my projects. Really easy to bend and they will not rust. CNC 325 is 3/16" and CNC 425 is 1/4". I bought mine from this guy:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/swalsh72/m.h...p2047675.l2562

Best price I could find at the time. You can actually coil it around a 1" wooden dowel by hand without kinking it. It also flares easy with a regular double flaring tool and there are coated flare nuts available. Some of the auto parts stores carry it but it is quite a bit more $.

LockDoc
Now you tell us about the NICOPP brake line, right after I finished bending all my own lines in Stainless Steel..... Geeeez..... "LOL"

The SS is tough to bend and flare & is unforgiving if you make a mistake !
Sounds like the NICOPP is nice stuff to work with.

Gary

My 72 SWB Build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=259859
CUSTOM/10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 01:21 PM   #20
my67c20

Don't get me wrong, the price was right, the parts looked good, the delivery was prompt from both vendors, but they did not fit as i was expecting. Probably has something to do with disk brakes on a 67. I did not call customer service because i weighed out the cost vs the benefit, and i was ready to do the work, and just did not want to wait. I did use 90% of the material, just refit / re-flared, as i required. There has been plenty of posts about how good these products fit there rigs, so if this is the route you choose, then rock on. For me in the i learned doing the lines, so next projects its all me. Just my 2 cents. Oh and don't be cheap on a bender or flaring tool.
my67c20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 02:16 PM   #21
davepl

That was my experience. Nice quality products as long as you never have to interact with them, return anything, question anything, email them, or talk to them.
Old 08-06-2014, 02:24 PM   #22
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUSTOM/10 View Post
Now you tell us about the NICOPP brake line, right after I finished bending all my own lines in Stainless Steel..... Geeeez..... "LOL"

The SS is tough to bend and flare & is unforgiving if you make a mistake !
Sounds like the NICOPP is nice stuff to work with.

Gary

Yeah, I just watched your build and waited until you finished your lines to post about it....... As tough as the regular lines can be I can't imagine the stainless ones. If a guy is using stainless because of rust issues the NICOPP would be the best of both worlds, won't rust and easy to bend.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 05:48 PM   #23
davepl

No pain, no gain. SS is lots of pain. But it looks nice. And I literally had bruises on both hips (and I never bruise) from the pipe bender. The really hard part is the 3/8" fuel line.

For those that don't know, the copper part is essential on nickel and mild steel tubing, though conspicuously absent from stainless. I'm not sure exactly what it's there for, perhaps to protect against corrosion with brake fluid being so hydrophilic.

Put another way, even if you could buy it, you can use plain old steel tubing.
Old 08-06-2014, 06:09 PM   #24
CUSTOM/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
Yeah, I just watched your build and waited until you finished your lines to post about it....... As tough as the regular lines can be I can't imagine the stainless ones. If a guy is using stainless because of rust issues the NICOPP would be the best of both worlds, won't rust and easy to bend.

LockDoc
I knew it !!!! "LOL"

I believe stainless is steel with nickel, so the copper must help with making it a bit softer and easier to work with. I used SS for it's looks and it's corrosion resistance. Next time around ( If there is one ) I'll use SS fittings & the NICOPP tubing ! But at this point I doubt there will be a next time .... I'm most likely going to enjoy the one I'm doing now for as long as I can !

Gary

My 72 SWB Build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=259859
CUSTOM/10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 12:49 AM   #25
oldschool18

The copper nickel line I used was made for a company called Brakequip.com.....I say made for cause I actually work for the company that makes the tubing. And we also make the aluminum gas line for Moroso and Stefs.........And if you really want to kick me I did all my brake lines and tranny lines in copper nickel and aluminum gas line for about 25 bucks. I guess its just want of the few perks I get from work and speaking of Moroso tomorrow at work I have to anneal about 350 1/2" aluminum 25' coils and pack them to ship. If I get a chance I'll try and take some pics and show you guys how the stuff is made.

62 Impala
70 C-10 LWB
71 K-10 SWB
85 C-10 LWB==SOLD
01 2500 HD

Members Met......2003Silverado (Dave)
oldschool18 is offline   Reply With Quote