The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-14-2004, 03:56 AM   #1
jorgensensc

An Observation Of Late.

(Climbing onto soapbox)

I have been reading a few threads here tonight, as I do most nights, and have seen some rather disturbing trends.
It appears that one of the things that is great about this board is slowly being washed away.
I'm talking about the flaming and bashing that has occurred on several of these posts lately.
Luckily I haven't been the donor or recipient of any of this (you might hurt my feelings, and We don't want that.), but it does appear to be rearing its ugly head.
I feel it is necessary to remind some that what makes this board GREAT is the fact that everyone can express thier views and opinions, without being bashed for those thoughts. I understand that disagreements on procedures or facts will arise, but I would hope that they could be resolved in a more mature way.
I also understand that sometimes younger truckers, or even older truckers may have a 'know it all' attitude even though they are completely wrong, due to ignorance or evolving technology, or even outdated myths.
I implore everyone to remember that we were all wrong and very adament that we were right at least once in our lives. So have a little patience and understanding for those that are having there Once in a lifetime fault.
God Bless America
And
God Bless this Board!

Thank You,
Shawn
(climbing down off soapbox)

-What would you attempt to achieve if you knew you could not fail?-

-I Refuse To Tiptoe Through Life, Only To Arrive Safely At Death's Door-

R.I.P. EAST SIDE LOW LIFE
jorgensensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 04:01 AM   #2
SWEET7T
Try spinnin 4 rear tars

Amen. Your right, there are times that problems do arrise, but I also feel that we are doing a better job than many other boards.
Old 01-14-2004, 04:27 AM   #3
krazy_texan

i whole heartidly agree with that
we are al different and that is just who we are and we should not be at each others throats for what we think. some of the topics on this board you see people saying oh i like that or oh i hate that, if you dont want to hear opinions other than what you think then dont tell anyone
1990 v1500 suburban
1967 Ford f100 Swb 4x4 "green bean"

GOD BLESS JESUS, JOHN WAYNE, AND THE ALAMO
krazy_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 04:46 AM   #4
BUXMAN66
go bucks!

yeah...what he said!
'96 gmc sonoma sle ext-cab. hey it's a 4cyl. 5 spd and good on gas y'know?
BUXMAN66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 08:06 AM   #5
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Amen brotha.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 09:17 AM   #6
tom hand
CCRider

Hell yeah...what he said
Old 01-14-2004, 09:34 AM   #7
Blue Beard

I usually like the idea of many ideas or solutions to an issue are posted........

Each time a problem comes up it could be the other answer....gives more avenues to look down......

Therefore I agree there is no reason to bash anyone over what is said.......
1956 Chev Bel Air
1977 Blazer 2WD For Sale $3000.00
1978 Blazer 2WD For Sale $7000.00
1978 Silverado
2005 Monte Carlo
Blue Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 09:46 AM   #8
spencra
This, is my BOOMSTICK!

I agree. I've been staying away from the political board for these reasons.

All you do is put in some of your own personal input, experiances or opinion no matter how mild then prepare to get bashed.

I've already had at least one of my opinions turned and twisted around to make me look like a bad guy. Typically I can just blow this off but then you find yourself stuck on one thread all day trying to defend yourself because somebody completely misconstrued what you had said.

Nope, it's just the parts board and occasionally the message board for me. Personally I think that some people go to the political threads just to get a rise out of flipping somebody off, Maybe because they had a bad day or something.

See here I go again. I'll stop now, but I do totally agree with you guys. Have a good one.

Got rid of my projects for now.
1980 Jeep CJ7
1998 Nissan Sentra (my car)
2001 Toyota Sienna (wife's, of course)

Last edited by spencra; 01-14-2004 at 10:43 AM.
spencra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 10:31 AM   #9
Blue Beard

spencra,

Have to agree with you on the political board.

Its like the things you don't discuss in bars unless you want trouble......

I was glad to see Josh make the political catagorie. It calmed down some of that on the other catagories.
1956 Chev Bel Air
1977 Blazer 2WD For Sale $3000.00
1978 Blazer 2WD For Sale $7000.00
1978 Silverado
2005 Monte Carlo
Blue Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 10:36 AM   #10
teeitup
Just like to part out trucks!!

This board has changed ALOT in the last year!
1958 Cameo (one of 1405 built, it was my dads)
2020 chevy Apex 4x4 crew cab
1969 Z28 with the 302
1980 chevy swb 4x4
1964 chevell Malibu SS
1976 K20, sold new originally out of my dads chevy dealership

Members that I've met, over 200 probably closer to 300 in the 12 years I've been on this site, everyone I met "It was a pleasure"
teeitup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 10:57 AM   #11
72moneypit

I don't post a lot, but I read the board daily. It's pretty easy to identify the very small number of members who find it necessary to bash others. I also have seen many of those chronic abusers banned/removed from the board. I've got to tell you, I hasn't bothered me a bit to see them go.

My feeling is... if you don't like it here, then go away. Otherwise, abide by the board rules and keep your snide comments to yourself.
72moneypit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 11:14 AM   #12
GMan69

Shawn,
Well said. Better for us to remember what we have in common (the best series of Chevy trucks ever ) than to focus on our differences and/or disagreements.

George
'72 GMC swb Stepside
GMan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 11:25 AM   #13
Huck

Guess I must be missing out on stuff as most of what i read is pretty decent. But then again, I don't even bother with the political BS.
I believe some folks have a communication problem in that their intentions are good but their ability to get the point across gets messed up with negative stuff coming out. Also some folks seem to have thin skin when it comes to a little good hearted teasing----but that has to be tempered with the appropriate "smilies" so that everyone gets the drift. The other thought is that we sometimes communicate differently with "good buddies" a little different then with guys we don't know-- but others take it as being nasty. When I communicate with guys like "fine69, Jamie72, BigO, Tim, Gordo, and a buch of others" we kind of define chatting as Ba** Busting as part of normal talking. It ensures the friendship!!
Maybe the weather plays a part as it's easy to get a little testy when it's cold, wet, dreary etc.
Perhaps the best rule of thumb would be to re-read your post replies before you send them to make sure you are truly saying what you want to say---point wise. So I just reread this twice and I think I'm ok with what I just wrote---if not----
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 11:37 AM   #14
BILELL

OBSERVATIONS

SOUNDS LIKE MAYBE WE ARE ON THE RIGHT TRACK!!!! THANKS
BILELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 11:49 AM   #15
CPNE
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally posted by Huck
Guess I must be missing out on stuff as most of what i read is pretty decent. But then again, I don't even bother with the political BS.
I believe some folks have a communication problem in that their intentions are good but their ability to get the point across gets messed up with negative stuff coming out. Also some folks seem to have thin skin when it comes to a little good hearted teasing----but that has to be tempered with the appropriate "smilies" so that everyone gets the drift. The other thought is that we sometimes communicate differently with "good buddies" a little different then with guys we don't know-- but others take it as being nasty. When I communicate with guys like "fine69, Jamie72, BigO, Tim, Gordo, and a buch of others" we kind of define chatting as Ba** Busting as part of normal talking. It ensures the friendship!!
Maybe the weather plays a part as it's easy to get a little testy when it's cold, wet, dreary etc.
Perhaps the best rule of thumb would be to re-read your post replies before you send them to make sure you are truly saying what you want to say---point wise. So I just reread this twice and I think I'm ok with what I just wrote---if not----
This echos my thoughts on this too, and I've seen nothing out of the "normal range" lately either, but I don't read everything.

I feel if you initiate a post that showcases something you think is really cool, or outright hideous, whether it's your own creation or something you ran across, you've opened the forum to comments. Ageed, comments should be kept civil, but expecting a "me too" stamp is setting yourself up. It's a diverse world and while we all have a common interest, there is a broad spectrum in schools of thought.

I have 4 pet-peeves:

1. Answering a post with helpful/correct info and not getting a reply or simple thanks.
2. People that take themselves too seriously. To me this board is informable and entertaining.
3. Making statements without supporting your point of view (even if it's wrong :p ) <-- Aha! Use of smiley to denote a "tongue in cheek comment"! Simply saying "_____ sucks" (fill in the blank), shows very little thought and even less insight.
4. ALL CAPS (unless mitigating circumstances)

67 Chevy SWB 2WD stepside 350/3 on tree (Pat's)
67 GMC SWB 2WD Fleet 402/auto (Brian's under construction)
67 Chevy 3/4 ton 2WD 402/auto (Business Hauler)
67 Chevy 1 ton dually 2WD 396/4 speed (Former business hauler, Needs TLC)
68 Chevy 1/2 ton Suburban 2WD 250 six/3 on tree (Brian's Needs TLC)
70 Chevy 3/4 ton 4WD 350/4 speed (Pat's - Disguised as a 68 GMC)
71 Chevy SWB stepside (Crushed by tree - parts donor)
72 Chevy 3/4 ton 4WD (Parts donor)
72 Chevy 3/4 ton 4WD Suburban (Parts Donor)
72 GMC 3/4 ton 4WD 292 six/4 speed (Mine - Disguised as a 67 GMC)
81 GMC 4WD Dually Dump Body 350/4 speed (Business Hauler)
82 Camaro Z/28 355/Super T-10 (Pat's toy)
93 Caprice 9C1 (Brian's Cop Car)
02 Toyota Camry (Reliable but a souless steel and plastic hulk)
2011 2SS RS Camaro M6 Factory Hurst Shifter

Maybe I need to sell some of this crap

Yet another Bozo with a sawz-all

Last edited by CPNE; 01-14-2004 at 02:01 PM.
CPNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 11:51 AM   #16
racindego

what!!??!?!? what a stupid thread? what do you mean people are bashing too much?? are you some kind of idiot or something?!

j/k

I do actually agree, although i dont post much, i do read alot and have noticed the same trend. i will say that this board is way better then any other board i go to in that respect.
racindego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 11:58 AM   #17
TEXAS 68
Vortec in the works

In the short time I've been here I have learned alot about these trucks and enjoy it. When I post an idea,opinion,or question its good to get feedback on it for everyone to learn from. As long as I have been working on old cars and trucks you can never stop learning new tricks to the trade. Besides I look at this board as 1 big family. I agree the bashing and name calling is childish. Sometimes we have to step back and take a look at whats going on.

68 Project

68 SWB frame off/98 Vortec with stock FI/power everything.
95 ECLB 2500 with 346,000 on the clock(the original HD)
99 Lesabre-wifes ride
08 Crew Cab LTZ-All Mine
89 SWB 5/7 drop-Son's first ride.
TEXAS 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 11:59 AM   #18
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

the board has mellowed out alot lately and i think the general discussion is where most of it happens but hey i dont let it get to me in the grand scheme of life its not worth getting aggravated over flames etc

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 01:40 PM   #19
JimKshortstep4x4

Talking

I have not noticed a lot of bashing. Hopefully I am not insensitive.

This is by far the best board on the net and members pretty well behave. Members also enforce what I think are the best guide lines that you can have for a board like this. Josh acts when he has to to correct situations, but most situations are taken care of by the membership as it should be.

I really like the way wrong posts are handled. There are other sites where you get flamed for posting something for sale on the message board! New members don't always know how things work so it is nice to have gentle reminders in lieu of coming down on someone for a simple mistake.

Jim
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 01:56 PM   #20
Gene

I think the boards getting better, seems like there's much less tension as of late. The political BS board kinda gets hairy once in a while, I should really stay away from there. But overall my experiences on this board have been for the most part enjoyable ones. And since it would be nearly impossible for Josh to police this board constantly I would say that for the most part the board behaves fairly well.

BOARD MEMBER #5448

BOOMER SOONER!!!!
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 02:13 PM   #21
dtlilly
Account Suspended

There does seam to be some inappropriate comments about some prices of items. I also notice people having to point out what they see wrong about nice trucks, me included (I'll stop ). Other than that, I feel Josh has the best board on the net, and some of the finest people on Earth as members. Thanks for letting me be a part of it.
dtlilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 02:28 PM   #22
lukecp
Formerly yellow72custom

Yeah, the Political board tends to be pretty rough...i do post on it but i don't flame people....although they try to flame me sometimes

I haven't noticed really any bickering on the main board or GD latley.....just truck talk and jokes.

Anyway.....this board is great. Lots of great people and info on here.....i consider alot of the members to be friends, and whenever i ask a question i always get a good answer.

There also aren't too many of those "use the search function" replies.....although i have been guilty of making one once or twice.

Anyway, this board and these trucks kick a$$ no matter how you look at it
lukecp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 02:41 PM   #23
Mudder

I have one gripe................. yep just one!!!!!!!

Posting Ford, Dodge, Ricer, etc, junk on this board. This whole site is CHEVY........ Josh made a place (General Discussion) for all the other none important threads. Choose your forum wisely!!!!

Thank you.....
Mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 02:48 PM   #24
CPNE
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally posted by dtlilly
...I also notice people having to point out what they see wrong about nice trucks, me included (I'll stop ). ...
I see nothing inherently wrong with making observations about inconsistencies or misrepresented facts. I think it's an education process when these are pointed out. Case in point is the truck recently on ebay touted as a Concours restoration. In fact it wasn't a Concours-quality restoration because it was too well done! I posted the link and knew it wasn't as represented when doing so, but I used it to support an argument I was making that spending $1625 on and NOS AM/FM was not unreasonable if it fits into your project's objective.

I say we're a better board when we're not afraid to make comments and support them.

67 Chevy SWB 2WD stepside 350/3 on tree (Pat's)
67 GMC SWB 2WD Fleet 402/auto (Brian's under construction)
67 Chevy 3/4 ton 2WD 402/auto (Business Hauler)
67 Chevy 1 ton dually 2WD 396/4 speed (Former business hauler, Needs TLC)
68 Chevy 1/2 ton Suburban 2WD 250 six/3 on tree (Brian's Needs TLC)
70 Chevy 3/4 ton 4WD 350/4 speed (Pat's - Disguised as a 68 GMC)
71 Chevy SWB stepside (Crushed by tree - parts donor)
72 Chevy 3/4 ton 4WD (Parts donor)
72 Chevy 3/4 ton 4WD Suburban (Parts Donor)
72 GMC 3/4 ton 4WD 292 six/4 speed (Mine - Disguised as a 67 GMC)
81 GMC 4WD Dually Dump Body 350/4 speed (Business Hauler)
82 Camaro Z/28 355/Super T-10 (Pat's toy)
93 Caprice 9C1 (Brian's Cop Car)
02 Toyota Camry (Reliable but a souless steel and plastic hulk)
2011 2SS RS Camaro M6 Factory Hurst Shifter

Maybe I need to sell some of this crap

Yet another Bozo with a sawz-all
CPNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 05:17 PM   #25
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

My only beef is pretty much what CPNE said way up above.

Some fool will say something like "Acme brand widgets suck!". No background, no explanation or anything, just "They suck".

It would go over a lot better if someone would qualify it by saying " I had one of those and it broke" or "My brother's truck ran bad when he had those on it" or anything.

I had a spirited pissing match awhile back on here that started with "Those suck, buy this other brand" advice given to a guy. No reason or anything given.

This is easily the friendliest board I go to. Some of my other boards are freakin brutal on people.