The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-02-2014, 01:35 AM   #1
thefraze_1020

Exhaust Opinions...

Eventually, I will be in the market for a new exhaust for my truck.

The truck is a 1984 C-20 2WD, 3/4 ton, 4-speed.
The engine is a 1972 350ci.

I'm going to use the stock ram horn exhaust manifolds on the engine, and I want to get a dual exhaust setup, without cat converters. I want the stock side exit of the exhaust, and I'm looking for the most basic, stock setup, and as inexpensive as I can find within these parameters.

So...do you guys have opinions of where I should shop, and what I'm looking for?
Do you have recommendations based on what you've used with a similar setup?

1984 Chevy C20 Custom Deluxe
thefraze_1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 12:57 PM   #2
OlRed87v30

Re: Exhaust Opinions...

I would recommend summit racing. Fast shipping and had everything I needed for my truck, i.e. Exhaust, hub caps, rims etc. I would stick to 2.25" pipe if runningot dual no bigger than 2.5". How loud do you want it? Long muffker will muffle the tone as well as the muffler design. It will be loud without cats to help muffle sound. I would also look at LMC truck. They sell a dual exhaust setup. Hope this helps. Let us know how it turns out.
OlRed87v30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 10:45 PM   #3
thefraze_1020

I don't want it too loud, a good low rumble. Probably glass pack mufflers.

Yes, I've been looking at both LMC and Summit.

Thanks for the advice.

Old 12-03-2014, 10:18 AM   #4
jfw432

Not too loud and possibly getting glasspacks sounds counter-intuitive to me. Especially if you're removing the cat's, that thing is going to be unbearably loud.
jfw432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 11:53 AM   #5
SkinnyG

If you run the longest glass packs you can fit, it won't be unbearably loud. The longer they are, the quieter they are.

I'm running the cheapest "turbo" style mufflers I could get. 2-1/2" to the mufflers, 2-1/4" out. It's fairly quiet, marginal drone on the highway, but still sounds snotty through the cam, compression, and headers.
Lotus Super 7 Replica: Scratch-built street-legal rollerskate
SkinnyG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 01:29 PM   #6
thefraze_1020

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyG View Post
If you run the longest glass packs you can fit, it won't be unbearably loud. The longer they are, the quieter they are.

I'm running the cheapest "turbo" style mufflers I could get. 2-1/2" to the mufflers, 2-1/4" out. It's fairly quiet, marginal drone on the highway, but still sounds snotty through the cam, compression, and headers.
That sounds more like what I'm after.

Old 12-03-2014, 03:17 PM   #7
rich weyand

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfw432 View Post
Not too loud and possibly getting glasspacks sounds counter-intuitive to me. Especially if you're removing the cat's, that thing is going to be unbearably loud.
hehehe. I'm a pre-cat wrencher, and we put glass packs on everything. Nice rumble once you blew the glass out. Every once in a while, the man would stop and talk to you about it if you got on them too hard in the wrong place.

Know that about true glass packs: the fiberglass blows out, and the sound gets louder, over time.

The modern chambered flow-through mufflers won't change over time until the internal chambering starts to rust out on them.

Don't go Flowmaster 40s. I have those on mine and they are too loud for what you want. Flowmaster 50s might be your style. Claimed to be much quieter, but I haven't used them.

All the manufacturers have longer units and shorter units. General rule is the longer they are, the quieter they are.

And of course you could just go with stock mufflers. Without the cats they are intended to work with, they will be louder than stock. Pre-cat mufflers were huge affairs to get them quiet enough.

1978 K10 RCSB DD.
rich weyand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 04:14 PM   #8
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

I have 2 Jimmys with 2.25 dual pipes
78 has walker after market kit,the other 79 was speedy bent
78 cherry bombs on one Flowmaster 40s on the 79.
quiet no,but sounds great to me.
I did have a burb with dual dyno max turbos,had to go back for tail pipes....couldn't even talk.
could do that for any muffler tho,go back and get longer tails if needed.
motornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 10:53 PM   #9
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlRed87v30 View Post
It will be loud without cats to help muffle sound.
Were you thinking of mufflers when you said that, mine is a 74 and I run the LMC Truck dual 2 1/4 exhaust without cats but just with the two Turbo mufflers and it is not loud at all, mine are rear exists but they do make the side exit one too, I do not have the ram horn exhaust manifolds

Pros: cheap, easy to install, bolt on, no welding needed

Cons: not quite the rumble I would like, will try the Flowmaster 40's mufflers next, or see how it sounds with long tube headers
Attached Images

Gregski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 11:35 PM   #10
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregski View Post
Were you thinking of mufflers when you said that, mine is a 74 and I run the LMC Truck dual 2 1/4 exhaust without cats but just with the two Turbo mufflers and it is not loud at all, mine are rear exists but they do make the side exit one too, I do not have the ram horn exhaust manifolds

Pros: cheap, easy to install, bolt on, no welding needed

Cons: not quite the rumble I would like, will try the Flowmaster 40's mufflers next, or see how it sounds with long tube headers
try removing the tailpipes,use turn downs,or out.
your exhaust seems close to my old burbs,but 40s and stock manifolds sounds like a great idea
Attached Images

motornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 12:55 AM   #11
SkinnyG

This is mine, since we're showing stuff (grin). Video, with sound, from 2013.

Lotus Super 7 Replica: Scratch-built street-legal rollerskate
SkinnyG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 10:47 PM   #12
scottybaccus

Pypes makes a very nice dual exhaust with X-pipe for our trucks, and it includes mufflers that I would say fall between stock and mid-range Flowmaster mufflers.

Eastwood is a full line dealer, and had the system $100 cheaper than Summit when I ordered last summer. They also gave me another 10% for subscribing to their email list.

I got a 2.5", mandrel bent, stainless system with x-pipe and two mufflers for $360, plus shipping ($30?) It is very nicely made, and includes hardware. It starts about where long tube headers would be, so you may need additional pipe to connect it up. I bought a 180 degree bend, and 4' of 2.5" tube, with two flex pipes, all in stainless. It was a cinch to install.

scottybaccus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 12:54 AM   #13
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyG View Post
This is mine, since we're showing stuff (grin). Video, with sound, from 2013.

Purdy!
Old 12-05-2014, 12:57 AM   #14
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottybaccus View Post
Pypes makes a very nice dual exhaust with X-pipe for our trucks, and it includes mufflers that I would say fall between stock and mid-range Flowmaster mufflers.

Eastwood is a full line dealer, and had the system $100 cheaper than Summit when I ordered last summer. They also gave me another 10% for subscribing to their email list.

I got a 2.5", mandrel bent, stainless system with x-pipe and two mufflers for $360, plus shipping ($30?) It is very nicely made, and includes hardware. It starts about where long tube headers would be, so you may need additional pipe to connect it up. I bought a 180 degree bend, and 4' of 2.5" tube, with two flex pipes, all in stainless. It was a cinch to install.

looks amazing, I take it you can weld? unlike some of us here who lay down booger welds and specialize in burn throughs, LOL
Old 12-05-2014, 12:47 PM   #15
DKSpringer

Scotty, which mufflers did you get with that kit?
DKSpringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 01:00 PM   #16
scottybaccus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKSpringer View Post
Scotty, which mufflers did you get with that kit?
I forget the name, it's the base muffler. I have a set of Violator mufflers I tried, too. It's the high end, and was too aggressive for my use as a daily.

The base muffler has a pretty standard bulkhead, turbo muffler design. The other two are straight through core designs, with two different types of perforations.

The base muffler is almost dead quiet in the cab, at idle, but sounds nice outside. Under a load, at mid range rpms, it sounds a lot like old school glasspacks with a bit of that Flowmaster tin can sound. At high rpm, it sounds like a Winston Cup stock car! I'm a big fan of the Dynomax SuperTurbo with the internal flow directors, but I'm having a hard time disliking these enough to spend the money.
Old 12-05-2014, 01:44 PM   #17
DKSpringer

Thanks man. I'll have to look into that, I haven't seen too many stainless kits. You don't have any videos do you?
DKSpringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 03:30 PM   #18
rich weyand

For others reading this thread, note that the X-pipe systems above are for "C" trucks only. You can't get a standard X-pipe under a "K" truck. You can get an H-pipe under a K, but that probably has to be custom fitted at a muffler/exhaust shop.

1978 K10 RCSB DD.
rich weyand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 09:24 PM   #19
Kinze

Pypes on the cheap and Stainless Works if you got the dime.
Kinze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 12:48 AM   #20
scottybaccus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKSpringer View Post
Thanks man. I'll have to look into that, I haven't seen too many stainless kits. You don't have any videos do you?
Thanks Y'all. I am kinda proud of her.

I did get some dyno videos, but the decibels were more than my tablet could handle.
I'll say this; the cackle under a load is very much like a glasspack, but it only seems terrible in the cab. Others that have heard it from the roadside tell me they don't notice it. When I took it for the dyno work, I was convinced they were coming off. After the first pull to 5800 rpm, I looked at the guy next to me in disbelief, and he said it sounded like a stock car. It was pretty wicked. I did not hear the cackle standing 20 feet off the left rear corner, basically directly in front of the tail pipe.
Old 12-07-2014, 06:59 PM   #21
man7sell

I installed a kit from LMC truck. I wanted the pipes to come straight out the rear but that was a lot more than the ones that come out the sides, no idea why. Anyway the kit can with extra extension pieces for long bed, so with one cut on each side I was able to get them to come straight out the back. The mufflers give a nice low rumble with excessive noise. Kit was very reasonable.
2c worth.