The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-03-2014, 02:42 PM   #26
Fitz
Account Suspended

Re: Rear vibration ...need help,suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_Rod View Post
So I started looking at the hub where the wheels go on the axle. With the car on jack stands and running you can see wheel hub is off centered which is causing the up and down bounce. It appears that my Billet Specialty wheels aren't centering up when I bolt them on. home from work today I'll take it for a test drive and see if anything changes.
There isn't any way that a 'lug centric' wheel can do what you describe if you are using the correct lugnuts. They should have a tapered face which engages the matching taper surrounding the hole in the wheel. I run Billet Specialties SLC 65's and they use the lugs shown in the photo. If the lugs are correct and correctly installed you have a bad axle. It isn't drive shaft or rotor hat or any of the rest of the stuff that has been suggested here. Either the tire on that side is not round, the axle was drilled for the studs off center, the studs are not pressed into the axle straight or the axle itself is bent. Swap that wheel from one side to the other and see what you get. If it still seems to move, the tire is out of round. If it turns true, it is your axle.
Attached Images

Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 11:08 AM   #27
72MARIO

Did you fix this problem yet ?
1990 V2500 Suburban "Plow Truck"
2005 TAHOE DD
72MARIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 11:36 AM   #28
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
There isn't any way that a 'lug centric' wheel can do what you describe if you are using the correct lugnuts. They should have a tapered face which engages the matching taper surrounding the hole in the wheel. I run Billet Specialties SLC 65's and they use the lugs shown in the photo. If the lugs are correct and correctly installed you have a bad axle. It isn't drive shaft or rotor hat or any of the rest of the stuff that has been suggested here. Either the tire on that side is not round, the axle was drilled for the studs off center, the studs are not pressed into the axle straight or the axle itself is bent. Swap that wheel from one side to the other and see what you get. If it still seems to move, the tire is out of round. If it turns true, it is your axle.
Fitz - I hear what you are saying, but it's doing it on both sides and with 2 completely different set of wheels. I've used press in studs and now have screw in studs. I have the correct tapered face lug nuts, but I think I may purchase some new ones just to eliminate that as a possibility. I thought I was a pretty good trouble shooter and could diagnose mechanical problems, but I'm at a loss......

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72MARIO View Post
Did you fix this problem yet ?
Nope, I've been sick for the last few weeks and haven't really felt like messing with it. I put my big tires back on it and have just been driving it.
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 03:07 PM   #29
tsetsaf

Can you physically see a hop in the wheel if you sit it on jackstands and run at idle? Maybe the bead is not set right on the tires. Just went through this with mine and it ended up being a bad wheel balance. I had to literally stand there while the machine ran to ensure a good balance. All is good now.
Old 12-15-2014, 09:37 PM   #30
68 short step

rob, I had almost the same problem, I chased it and chased it, like you did. what it turned out to be was the rear axle didn't have enough limited slip additive, so I added one bottle of the additive, and it fixed the problem...so if you're running straight 80/90, with a posi unit, be sure to add the additive , and enough of it...
hope this fixes your problem, and for sure let us know when you do solve it.
68 short step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 04:16 PM   #31
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsetsaf View Post
Can you physically see a hop in the wheel if you sit it on jackstands and run at idle? Maybe the bead is not set right on the tires. Just went through this with mine and it ended up being a bad wheel balance. I had to literally stand there while the machine ran to ensure a good balance. All is good now.
You can see it go up and down. I need to borrow a mich to check out the runout of the wheel itself while its running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 short step View Post
rob, I had almost the same problem, I chased it and chased it, like you did. what it turned out to be was the rear axle didn't have enough limited slip additive, so I added one bottle of the additive, and it fixed the problem...so if you're running straight 80/90, with a posi unit, be sure to add the additive , and enough of it...
hope this fixes your problem, and for sure let us know when you do solve it.
Can you describe what you were seeing? I added one bottle of additive (8 OZs??). Should it have more?
Old 12-16-2014, 10:24 PM   #32
72MARIO

The shop that rebuilt my differential said to use 2 bottles of Fords additive. The say it better than AC delco stuff
2005 TAHOE DD
Old 12-16-2014, 11:34 PM   #33
chevy2tom

Ship it to me with a gas card, I don't care how long it takes I'll figure it out! Lol.
Good luck
chevy2tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 11:41 PM   #34
chevy2tom

Does it happen after the rear brakes get warmed up ? Sticking caliper/warped rotor? Emergency brake hanging up?
Axle bearing?
chevy2tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 10:27 AM   #35
Hart_Rod

Quote:
The shop that rebuilt my differential said to use 2 bottles of Fords additive. The say it better than AC delco stuff
Where do you pick that up at? I used some stuff I got from the parts store, K&W LSA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy2tom View Post
Ship it to me with a gas card, I don't care how long it takes I'll figure it out! Lol.
Good luck
I'm would gladly do that if I you could guarantee a fix...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy2tom View Post
Does it happen after the rear brakes get warmed up ? Sticking caliper/warped rotor? Emergency brake hanging up?
Axle bearing?
No, it does it as soon as you start driving it. Calipers are good, I swapped in some new rotors, bearings are new......

I spent 15 years flying military helicopters and you become very attuned to every sound and vibration.....maybe it's in my head and I'm overthinking it.....

Last edited by Hart_Rod; 12-18-2014 at 11:50 AM.
Old 12-17-2014, 10:37 PM   #36
davischevy

Nope, I've been sick for the last few weeks and haven't really felt like messing with it. I put my big tires back on it and have just been driving it.

Does it hop with these tires?

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 10:14 AM   #37
72MARIO

Any ford dealership should stock it. Its 6$ CDN. I had problems with the CRseal posi additive. As soon as the truck got warm it would bind up going around corners. The ford additive solved that problem.
2005 TAHOE DD
Old 12-18-2014, 11:49 AM   #38
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by davischevy View Post

Does it hop with these tires?
It does it with both sets of wheels and tires.

Quote:
Any ford dealership should stock it. Its 6$ CDN. I had problems with the CRseal posi additive. As soon as the truck got warm it would bind up going around corners. The ford additive solved that problem.
I'll see what I can find. This is what I put in when I changed the axles out (7 oz):

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/k...ive#fragment-1