The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-25-2004, 11:27 PM   #1
twxsby

Stereo Amp Install

Anyone know how to install a 4 channel amp? I could use some help. I know all about hooking up the power, ground and the blue remote power wire. I am however a bit confused when it comes to the speakers. My stereo has 2 rca jacks, and the amp has 4. Is there a way to hook all 4 speakers to the amp?
Thanks
Old 01-25-2004, 11:33 PM   #2
corn

few options... Y adaptors/ preamp-eq/ switch amp to two channel mode...
corn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 12:54 PM   #3
blink32

If your Amp has 4 rca's, then PROBABLY 2 are Input, and 2 are Output. Obviously you'll only be using the inputs and the output's would be used to daisy chain multiple amps together.

Without knowing which brand/model amp you have since u didn't post it, use Corns info.

You need to post the brand and model amp for anyone to give you clearer info. Or refer to the owners manual for it.
blink32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 06:05 PM   #4
twxsby

It's a hand-me-down, so there is no paperwork. It's an Ultimate 160 (40wx4). I've read about splitting into the speaker lines, but that confuses me. Don't I want to: 2 x RCA from the Head unit to the Amp. Then from the amp to the speakers? The thing is, on the amp, there are 8 leads for speakers (+ and -, 4 speakers), then there are also 8 more (+ and -, 4 speakers), but these are labled "highlevel input". Do I leave these alone?
Old 01-26-2004, 06:29 PM   #5
cochino12
It followed me home?

Quote:
Originally posted by twxsby
It's a hand-me-down, so there is no paperwork. It's an Ultimate 160 (40wx4). I've read about splitting into the speaker lines, but that confuses me. Don't I want to: 2 x RCA from the Head unit to the Amp. Then from the amp to the speakers? The thing is, on the amp, there are 8 leads for speakers (+ and -, 4 speakers), then there are also 8 more (+ and -, 4 speakers), but these are labled "highlevel input". Do I leave these alone?
you dont need to use the high level if you are going to use the rca's.

That's why they call it a shortcut Kyle, if it was easy it would just be the way.

86 c-10 SWB
85 CCSB
90 GMC K30 Crew SRW
1985 C30 Dually
cochino12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 06:31 PM   #6
twxsby

Will I have amp power to all 4 speakers? Would I need to have 4 RCA outs on the Head unit for that?
Old 01-26-2004, 06:41 PM   #7
1FaastC10
Account Suspended

in order to get proper sound image, you need a head unit with 4 preouts if you want to amplify all 4 speakers. the RCAs you have now are intended for rear speakers, so if you put them into the amp and run your speakers off of the amp, you're going to lose whatever sound was meant to go to the front speakers.
1FaastC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 09:07 PM   #8
blink32

Quote:
Originally posted by 1FaastC10
in order to get proper sound image, you need a head unit with 4 preouts if you want to amplify all 4 speakers. the RCAs you have now are intended for rear speakers, so if you put them into the amp and run your speakers off of the amp, you're going to lose whatever sound was meant to go to the front speakers.
Why would you need 4 sets of preouts? Amping each speaker individually is crazy overkill unless your into IASCA or something. And if the head unit he has now has 2 sets of preamps out the back, then one is for the front and one is for the rear. I've never seen a deck with a dual set of only front or only rear outputs. He shouldn't be losing anything. 4 sets of preamp outputs is definitely NOT the norm on

Back to twxby, on most amps (low priced like urs too) there is usually some sort of slide switch that you can change your input vs output settings. IE: change it from dual RCA inputs and seperate channel speaker outputs to a single rca channel input pushing signal out to Both (total of 4) speaker level outputs.

Your still focusing on the fact that your amp has 4 preamp connectors, and you think they are all inputs. I personally doubt it has 4 inputs. Can you take clear pictures of all the sides of the amp and post them up or atleast each one should be labeled, can you read it?

At the very worst I bet you can run 2 sets of RCA's from your head unit back to the amp and that will power all four of the speakers you have connected to your amp.
Old 01-26-2004, 11:28 PM   #9
mike reeh
5 day ban, learn to behave.

all you're going to lose is the ability to "fade" front and rear.. Most systems Ive heard, especially simple ones are always at, or damn near centered. One single set of pre-outs from your deck? No worries. One set of the RCA's on your amp is almost undoubtedly "output" to run to another amp.

Like the others have said, we need more info about the amp. Even if you can only give the manufacturer and model #, google groups is an excellent way of researching old hardware, and getting specs..

mike
mike reeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 11:29 PM   #10
1FaastC10
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally posted by blink32

Why would you need 4 sets of preouts? Amping each speaker individually is crazy overkill unless your into IASCA or something. And if the head unit he has now has 2 sets of preamps out the back, then one is for the front and one is for the rear. I've never seen a deck with a dual set of only front or only rear outputs. He shouldn't be losing anything. 4 sets of preamp outputs is definitely NOT the norm on
reread noob, 4 preouts=2 pair, NOT 4. his existing deck has 2 preouts (that's 1 and 2 for all you non-counters) they are for the rear subs (those go behind you). the amp has 4 RCA ins (1,2,3,4, that's more than the head unit has) if you split the RCAs with y's you then have 1,2,3,4 to match the amp. but if you're using the amp to power 4 speakers (assuming 2 front, 2 rear) you have only signal meant for the rear speakers, thus you will have a distorted image. i hope i explained this well enough, i dont remember where i put my construction paper and crayons.
Old 01-26-2004, 11:32 PM   #11
1FaastC10
Account Suspended

Quote:

Your still focusing on the fact that your amp has 4 preamp connectors, and you think they are all inputs. I personally doubt it has 4 inputs.
no, dont doubt that it has 4 inputs, he stated it is a 4 channel, therefore it MUST have 4 inputs. no matter what you "personally doubt"
Old 01-27-2004, 12:00 AM   #12
blink32

Quote:

no, dont doubt that it has 4 inputs, he stated it is a 4 channel, therefore it MUST have 4 inputs. no matter what you "personally doubt"
You can attack and call names all day, doesn't bother me. But if you count your inputs individually then your the crazy one I've never heard of anyone refer to anything stereo related in any terms other then a set. I guess your special
Old 01-27-2004, 01:03 AM   #13
greenhorn male

Quote:
Your head unit/receiver/cd player usually has a built in amp. that's why there are 100W units, 200W units, etc. Each speaker wired to your unit is a channel,ie, left front channel, right front channel, right rear channel, and left rear channel. The RCA jacks from your unit are low level (line level) outputs. Meaning this is the signal before the built in amp of your head unit. High level outputs (Speaker wires from head unit) are outputs after the built in amp which is what powers your speakers.

You can basically wire your speaker wires to the high level inputs (8 speaker leads) of the amp and wire the other 8 output speaker leads to your speakers. The problem with wiring it this way is if your head unit has a lot of distortion it may pronounce it even more. But with a low power head unit with very low distortion this may be acceptable to you. Try it and see. This connection will allow you to use all the functions of the head unit, ie, balance, fader, etc. If your head units power is close to or more than the amp, you won't be gaining anything with the amp.

Wiring it with RCA (low level) is taking the signal before the head units amp and using the amplifiers power instead to power the speakers. With 2 (low level) RCA output head unit like someone mentioned, the more common method of wiring would be to keep the front speakers wired to the head unit but use the low level output to connect to an amp and power the rear speakers or even subwoofers. This way the head unit powers the front speakers (2 channels) and the amp powers the rear speakers (2 channels). There are other options. It all depends how many and what kind of speakers you are using (full range or components)

About hooking your 2 channel head unit to the 4ch amp RCA's. I am not sure you have to use y connectors for the input. Most 2 to 4 channel wiring diagrams I've seen just hook 2 input RCA's and not connect the other 2 but bridge the speaker outputs. I am not an installer and just know the above from wiring my own systems. I am sure someone more knowledgable will explain the proper way to bridge. I hope this helps a little.

Last edited by greenhorn male; 01-27-2004 at 01:10 AM.
greenhorn male is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 01:03 AM   #14
1FaastC10
Account Suspended

Quote:
You can attack and call names all day, doesn't bother me. But if you count your inputs individually then your the crazy one I've never heard of anyone refer to anything stereo related in any terms other then a set. I guess your special
i never once called you any names. as for counting the inputs...

Quote:
Anyone know how to install a 4 channel amp? ... My stereo has 2 rca jacks, and the amp has 4. Is there a way to hook all 4 speakers to the amp?
stereo has 2 RCA jacks, does it get any more simple than that? i'm sorry that we're all not as enlightened in the audio field as you think you are.
Old 01-27-2004, 03:09 AM   #15
twxsby

Thanks everyone, I will try what greenhorn male says, and see what happens.
Attached Images

Old 01-27-2004, 08:45 AM   #16
TIMSPEED

I wished I had a stereo in my truck again...Hmm..Best Buy is running an ad this week for 4 6½'s for $60, might have to go pick those up, then get a DEH-1500 for $80 from a local shop. At least then I'd have SOME tunes.
Old 01-27-2004, 08:48 AM   #17
blink32

Quote:
i'm sorry that we're all not as enlightened in the audio field as you think you are.
I like people like you in my field of work. They only know enough to be considered dangerous.
Old 01-27-2004, 04:51 PM   #18
Russell
Professional Grade

lol, you crack me up Jeremy

That amp is definitly a four channel amp, you'll want a head unit that has two pairs of preamp outs (aka, four little RCA hookups) -- If your deck has two pairs, one will be for the front, one for the rear. Plug them in accordingly, and plug the speakers in accordingly as well.

Now, if you don't have two preamp sets, plug the set you do have into the rear speaker slots, and plug only the rear speakers into the amp. They are all you really need to amplify anyways. Run the frontal speakers off the head unit, they generally have a decent amp in them as it is.

Last edited by Russell; 01-27-2004 at 04:53 PM.
Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 07:50 PM   #19
PHOENIX

Get one of these:
http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...t%5Fid=42-2535

as stated before.

Make sure you get the female single end with dual male ends.
This way you can run 1-set of rca cable to the amp then break apart right at the amp. I have done this many times with no problems.
Old 01-27-2004, 11:26 PM   #20
greenhorn male

Phoenix,
After you hook the head unit to the amp like you suggest using the splitter, what do you do with the speakers? Do you attach both front and rear speakers to the 8 leads provided by the amp? If you do this then do you set your fader on the head unit to rear speakers only? Or do you keep the front speakers attached to the front speaker output of the head unit and attach the rear 2 speakers to the amp speaker outputs and bridge the channels or would you run 4 rear speakers off the amp totalling 6 (2 front+4 rear)? Assuming twxsby is using 4 full range speaker combos for front and rear how would you suggest he attach his speakers.

Last edited by greenhorn male; 01-27-2004 at 11:30 PM.
greenhorn male is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 11:40 PM   #21
1FaastC10
Account Suspended

Quote:

I like people like you in my field of work. They only know enough to be considered dangerous.
son, let's not even get started there. i've probably got more years of training and hands on experience than you are old. what do you do for a "living"? change oil?
Old 01-27-2004, 11:42 PM   #22
1FaastC10
Account Suspended

twxsby, can you do me a favor and post a pic of your RCA outs? just to prove to blinky that he needs to go back to kindergarten and learn to count to 4?
Old 01-28-2004, 01:50 AM   #23
greenhorn male

If your head units power is close to or more than the amp, you won't be gaining anything with the amp.

What I meant by this is, if your head unit is 40w/channel, you will gain nothing by wiring the 40W/channel amp with the high level leads. Because you will still be pushing 40W to each speaker.

In this case it would be better to keep the front speakers as is and connect the rear speakers to the amp and bridging it so you get 80W/channel to the rear speakers making your total power output 200W. Bridging the speaker output is usually done by combining two adjacent channels and could be as simple as taking the + lead from one channel and the - lead from the other and connecting it to one speaker, then do the same with the remaining two.
Old 01-28-2004, 08:59 PM   #24
twxsby

OK, This is very educational and entertaining. I am going to post this pic and then see what everyone has to say.
I need to be able to use the fader (don't want to blow the kids away when they ride in the back) but also want the the most out of my system.
I thank you all very much for your input.
Attached Images

Old 01-28-2004, 09:34 PM   #25
1FaastC10
Account Suspended

blinky, if you look at the picture that was just posted, you'll notice that twxsby counted the RCA plugs individually. i think you owe him an appology for your previous post on that matter.