The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-19-2014, 07:23 PM   #26
Elwood431

Re: Welding rockers---help

I was in the same position as you this summer. I never welded before and i had to replace my rockers, cab corners, lower pillars and floor supports on my 67 c10. I bought a 90amp flux welder from harbor freight and practiced on sheet metal from old filing cabinet. It was a nightmare at first but I kept practicing and finished all the repairs on my truck they may not be the prettiest welds but there plenty strong. It definitely not the best welder but it worked for me.
Elwood431 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 11:41 PM   #27
landy

So the adhesive would be used to attach a panel rather than welding it? For example, after cutting/removing a rusty rocker panel, a new one could be attached using the adhesive rather than welding? Is it used as a filler, too, or just as an adhesive? Probably pretty pricey to use as a filler?
landy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 08:32 AM   #28
Bigdav160

Yes, there are videos on Youtube showing it being used. Obviously not for but joints. However it acts as the seam sealer on overlapping joints.

The only negative I've ever heard is if used to splice two panels sometimes temporary distortion can show up from the uneven expansion of the metals.
'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 09:21 AM   #29
dirtyjim

i'll give you a tip on the welding gas, if you have a tractor supply close to you you can buy or rent the bottle from them and when it runs out on sunday afternoon they are open.
I have two welding supply shops within 10 miles of my house but they aint open on sunday, they are a little cheaper than T.S. but not much and the last two times I ran out of gas was on sunday
Old 12-20-2014, 09:58 AM   #30
no1udknow

If you look at me project in my signature, I did a lot of body welding on my truck already. Although I have welded hundreds of times before, this was my first experience with body/sheetmetal, I would suggest either using a fender that you will be replacing, or go to the junk yard and get one, and do some testing before you potentially create more work for yourself. Cut the fender i half and try to seam it back together, then cut a square out of it and try to patch it back in. there is a lot to learn about heat exchange, welder settings, and expansion/contraction. Don't get discouraged by everyone telling you to try welding on something other than your truck, it is a little scary at first, we just want you to go in prepared.
My build : 68 C10 Short Bed Conversion
no1udknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 12:05 PM   #31
1968aj

thanks to everyone for all the advice. this forum is the best. you guys using your time to help someone you don't even know is rare in this day and time. I will post pictures of progress but it will be slow. I just bought a 1969 and a 1970 that need a lot of work.
1968aj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 12:12 PM   #32
67swb72klb

make sure you fit the rockers with screws and check out your door gaps before welding
good luck
Old 12-20-2014, 07:30 PM   #33
Fitz
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1968aj View Post
I have made the decision to weld my own rockers in. going to attempt to do some rust repair in other areas also. never welded in my life so its time to learn. I am going to harbor freight today to buy a machine. need some advice on what type of machine to buy. looking to start out with something cheap and see how it goes. really need some advice on what to buy any help is appreciated
Since you are a beginner, stick with a MIG. A TIG will do a better job but takes a lot of practice before you can weld sheet metal without blowing huge holes in it. Check Craigslist in your area for either a used Miller or a Hobart Handler. A decent used 220 v will be cheaper than a new Lincoln and work much better. Miller bought Hobart several years ago and that unit is a Miller in a Hobart case. Chicago Pneumatic and the Harbor Freight units are made in China and aren't likely to last long, even if you buy new.
Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 01:49 PM   #34
Orange Crate

Depending on what you plan to do for paint, be aware that some body shops will not paint over pin holes, even with mud over them. If you are going to have your truck painted professionally you might want to visit with them, or make sure there are no pin holes.
Old 12-31-2014, 08:29 PM   #35
5150scott

Buy a cheap wire feed to learn with. Lincoln wire feed at Home Depot is great for the money (no experience with HF welders) - you don't need much heat on sheet metal and thin steel. Believe me - if you can weld with that you can weld with anything. Plus, you can weld with it outside in the wind. Can't always do that with gas.

Go to a welding shop (or Tractor Supply if you have one near) and look for the can of spray that prevents weld splatter from sticking. You spray it in the area you are welding and it keeps it clean. Much better than without. Otherwise your grinding skills will get real good cleaning that **** off the rest of the body. Spray it on the nozzle as well. Keeps it clean. They are about $13 a can and a can will last you a long time.

When you are ready you can sell your old welder and step up. $500 for a Hobart 140. $200 for a filled bottle of gas and you are in business.

Good Luck
5150scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 12:57 AM   #36
Lowlyfe

Have you purchased a welder yet? I'd recommend the Hobart handler 140 for a beginner welder. It's perfect for sheet metal and can do up to 1/4" with the proper steps. It's a great machine for the price of $500 new, I had mine for 7 years before finally upgrading to a Miller 211 this year. Can't go wrong with the Hobart for a hobbyist. $30 spool of wire and $200 c02-argon gas mix you will be ready to do all the welding you need to.
Lowlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 01:46 PM   #37
Rocketman72

You can't put rockers on with adhesive. That works fine for the newer cars with very lightweight door skins and only on the door skins. Mercedes Benz uses it on rear body panels too but they back it up with about a billion specialty rivets.

You have to weld the rockers just as you would a bedside or floor pan. They might stay put for a short time if you get the bonding surfaces extremely straight but they will eventually come loose.
Rocketman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 12:16 PM   #38
Wildman65

I bought a Hobart 135 Handler, 110v. Definately use gas. Get a Auto darkening helmet. Very happy with my setup. And I've got my money's worth out of it over and over.
Wildman65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 04:15 PM   #39
775stepside

Go to your local Home Depot and buy a Lincoln, I bought mine for $350 and you can use gas and without it good deal I love mine
775stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 07:27 AM   #40
D13

Keith Seymor used structural adhesive on Red for cab corners. Not sure i'd use it on rockers.
Plus a mess o' tractors
D13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 10:22 PM   #41
Mock1

Have a read here...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...?t=656132moo:-)
Ive been welding my whole life, since I was about ten. (44 now)
If you have any questions please ask. Ill try to help all I can.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:22 PM   #42
Mock1

Last edited by Mock1; 01-20-2015 at 10:29 PM.
Mock1 is offline   Reply With Quote