The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-11-2013, 12:30 AM   #1
Z10

Opinions on FAST EZ EFI?

I'm looking to put a FAST EZ EFI on my new ZZ4 engine. Anyone have experience with the system? Good & Bad?

Thanks,
1979 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 & 1979 Pontiac Trans Am 10th Anniversary
1999 Honda Valkyrie
2006 Corvette Z06
2010 BMW 650i
Z10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:45 AM   #2
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Re: Opinions on FAST EZ EFI?

I have been looking at the FAST EZ EFI setup for awhile and I have found that there are a few things that you need to do to make sure that it works well. My local Hotrod/Sport truck shop got a large amount of them in a deal from the FAST people. THey have installed them on a couple different vehicles and they were at first disappointed in the response from the EFI unit and the Tech support from FAST. It turns out with some trial and error that the real problem to their installations, was that the EFI unit can be easily affected by signals outside the system. The instructions hint at that the distributor signal needs to be a sharp clear square wave type, such as from a control box (MSD or other) or you should have a certain type of distributor module installed. That tidbit of info is very true and is a definite thing to get installed with your unit. They had all kinds of performanc eissues from a poor idle to very poor response under WOT and definitely no fuel economy, until they figured out the right combination. They discussed the issues with FAST and the response form the supplier was not forthcoming as they went through their troubleshooting. I also remember a couple of fellas at the Hot Rod Power Tour in 2010 that wanted to talk to the FAST people at the first stop to see why their EZ unit was acting up and they had issues getting feedback from those guys. I will tell you that the changes that the shop made to get the spark signal straightened out, made their vehicles run so much better. The control module for these units have a lot of capability, but you have to think a little outside th eboxes to get them adjusted and then adjust some more.

I have considered installing an EZ unit on my 84 GMC with a 385 stroker engine and a Comp Cam setup, that I need a broader fuel system to cover the engine's true powerband. I have just sat back and watched this shop work the bugs out of the ointment with their cars, first. Remember the spark issue is the whole enchilada on this unit and you need that working right. The fuel injection part is simple, once you get the fuel to the top of the engine.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:09 AM   #3
nibs
JRods Garage

I was considering the same system for my truck, but then I saw the MSD Atomic EFI at SEMA... End of story
Old 03-11-2013, 09:06 PM   #4
Z10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibs View Post
I was considering the same system for my truck, but then I saw the MSD Atomic EFI at SEMA... End of story
Have you installed it? Tell me what you think.
1999 Honda Valkyrie
2006 Corvette Z06
2010 BMW 650i
Old 03-12-2013, 03:52 AM   #5
nibs
JRods Garage

I havent bought anything yet, but I was completely sold on the item when I saw it. 67cheby is getting it on his wifes blazer. You should check out that build
Old 01-03-2015, 12:46 AM   #6
1971_CST_C10

Hey guys, I have seen quite a few posts on the EZ Fast Fuel on our site for a while and all asking if anyone is running it or know about it and all the threads say no one....
I AM........ I have had this for about 8 months and yes the cost was high. $2180.00
yes I live up in Canada but milage is milage and especially with all the hill climbing here when going from British Columbia to Alberta visiting Family.
I ran my 71 C10 long box from BC to alberta at a 9 hour drive on and off at a cost of $180 in gas, the next exact same trip I made was in my 71 Shortbox with the same powertrain except my SB has a 700R but has the EZ Fast Fuel system in it and was a snap to install.
The same trip only cost me $100 even..... so there is the savings black and white as to weather its worth it. it supports up to 600hp of which I use 440hp of that, The install disc made it a walk in the park. After it was all installed it took 1/2 hour to set up but takes a while to install all you can see in the kit which you can hide really well as seen in the pictures and doesnt look junky. The only thing I had to change was the set up in each province as the system fouls up with major different altitude changes but a 15 minute change and she is all good.
Darren.
1970 El Camino SS
1971_CST_C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 02:46 AM   #7
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

How do you have your fuel pumps set up for the EFI????
Old 01-03-2015, 11:59 AM   #8
1971_CST_C10

Hey Frank, No I am not using the original fuel pump in our tanks. It is still installed so the gas tank level still shows, but in the first picture of the EZ kit the bottom right corner there is a in-line fuel pump that I have installed on the inside of the frame just behind the pass side of the cab. it now uses the fuel line that the factory pump did. there was no tweaking to do to the pump as its all preset based upon the full kit being used including the O2 sensor installed as well in the exhaust about 12 inches down from the manifold.
Darren.
1970 El Camino SS
Old 01-03-2015, 03:00 PM   #9

Look into the Holley Dominator EFI as well. Even has transmission controller built in......
5150.4.67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 04:41 PM   #10
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971_CST_C10 View Post
Hey Frank, No I am not using the original fuel pump in our tanks. It is still installed so the gas tank level still shows, but in the first picture of the EZ kit the bottom right corner there is a in-line fuel pump that I have installed on the inside of the frame just behind the pass side of the cab. it now uses the fuel line that the factory pump did. there was no tweaking to do to the pump as its all preset based upon the full kit being used including the O2 sensor installed as well in the exhaust about 12 inches down from the manifold.
Darren.
are you sucking fuel through the factory pump inside the tank, with the one supplied in the installation kit? I would think that would impact the aftermarket pump's ability to move enough fuel, not to mention limit it's longevity
Old 01-03-2015, 04:45 PM   #11
Lattimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by piecesparts View Post
are you sucking fuel through the factory pump inside the tank, with the one supplied in the installation kit? I would think that would impact the aftermarket pump's ability to move enough fuel, not to mention limit it's longevity
Original tank has no pump, just a level sender and a sock filter.

1970 Chevy C-10 SWB, 350, TKO 600 5 speed
My build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=559881
Lattimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 04:49 PM   #12
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lattimer View Post
Original tank has no pump, just a level sender and a sock filter.
Just wanted to know, I have considered putting a system o n my 84 to give it more of an operating band. Carburetors are somewhat limiting. If you get one that is good for daily driving, it runs out of air at higher speeds, and if you go big, then it wallows like a pig on the street. Unless you set up for a Quadrajet. Spread bore intakes are generally a different breed of animal in the aftermarket world.
Old 01-03-2015, 04:52 PM   #13
Lattimer

Quote:
Just wanted to know, I have considered putting a system o n my 84 to give it more of an operating band. Carburetors are somewhat limiting. If you get one that is good for daily driving, it runs out of air at higher speeds, and if you go big, then it wallows like a pig on the street. Unless you set up for a Quadrajet. Spread bore intakes are generally a different breed of animal in the aftermarket world.

I'd love to go EFI, but my $300 carb works. Can't justify the cost for my truck.

Old 01-03-2015, 04:53 PM   #14
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5150.4.67 View Post
Look into the Holley Dominator EFI as well. Even has transmission controller built in......
I just upgraded my 700 R4 to a different converter. I had a 22300 stall converter without a lockup and it worked really well. I wanted to get a lower RPM at highway speeds, so we put in a 2300 stall Lockup converter and hooked it up to a B&M adjustable lockup controller. This thing works off of the speedometer and can be adjusted across a wide band for lockup. It works great without any issues so far.
Old 01-03-2015, 05:23 PM   #15
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lattimer View Post
I'd love to go EFI, but my $300 carb works. Can't justify the cost for my truck.
I know where your at on that one. The tranny upgrade scared the Hell out of my bank account for quite awhile, so the carb stays, but I am always looking.
Old 01-03-2015, 05:36 PM   #16
Lattimer

Quote:
I know where your at on that one. The tranny upgrade scared the Hell out of my bank account for quite awhile, so the carb stays, but I am always looking.
Looking usually costs me money....LOL.

Seems like all of the EFI systems out there have a lot of mixed reviews from what I have read online. A lot of people have struggled to get these to work right. Too much electronic noise, poor tach signal, etc. Always something to fight with.

I do like the external fuel sump Edelbrock has for theirs. You can feed into it from the stock tank and it boosts the pressure and accepts the return. Don't know if it works as advertised but its a cool concept.

Old 01-03-2015, 05:45 PM   #17
1971_CST_C10

I bypassed the fuel pump on the front of the engine, that line that went into the pump now runs up to the Fuel Pressure Regulator and gauge on the fender and then goes from there to the fuel injectors. the fuel line was cut back behind the cab where the new fuel pump was mounted. the in tank sending unit is still there and hooked up for the fuel gauge. The 700 R tranny still has the 2300 stall but it is also run through the EZ system and shifts when modulated through the on board brain that runs the EZ system. It also controls the AC and idle increase control for that so the truck wont stall out at lights with the AC on. The EZ system also runs in line with the HEI distributor that is in the truck too.
Darren.
1970 El Camino SS
Old 01-03-2015, 07:14 PM   #18
Z10

I went a different direction and bought a F.I.R.S.T. TPI system. Complete set up was a bit less than FAST and utilizes a factory GM computer. Check out my build thread for more details. Here's a link to FIRST TPI.https://www.firstfuelinjection.com

I've been running the set up since March and now have a little over 5,000 miles of trouble free operation. The truck is running a new ZZ4, 700R4, and return a shade over 16mpg hwy. Just changed over to Mobil 1, and I'm hoping for a bit of improvement in gas milage.

1999 Honda Valkyrie
2006 Corvette Z06
2010 BMW 650i