The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-27-2004, 03:46 PM   #1
twoodson

LT1 Conv. Info Needed

Hey guys, my mechanic purchased a '95 LT1 Trans Am engine complete with every wire from under the hood of the car including the battery cable (84,000). The entire harness and the underhood fuse block. He was going to install it in his '92 Chevy but he purchased a Suburban instead. So I believe I will inherit it and install it into the '87 SWB. I just put a Jasper 350 engine in my truck in Jan.'03 but I believe I will be more happier with the LT1. I was wondering if anyone had any info, pics, websites, wiring illustrations, etc. that they could share. I will continue to drive the truck until we get everything we need and want to do to the engine before installing. Therefore we minimize the downtime. I will also be installing the 4L60E Tranny. I currently have 700R4 and a posi rear end with 3:73 gears. Thanks guys and it's about to be on now...lol
twoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 05:27 PM   #2
Prerunner1982

as long as he has the comp and complete wiring harness you should be good... being a 350, should bolt right in.. though you may need a new trans crossmember, or atleast move the one you have.. i am not sure if the dimensions vary between the 2 trannys.. if not.. you are good to go. i have never done this conversion, so i obviously dont have all the info... i know there are a few members that have......
Oklahoma Roll Call
Prerunner1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 08:11 PM   #3
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

What trans did the LT1 have? If it was an automatic, I would suggest using that. You will be able to use the crossmember in the same location. You will have to move the right side engine mount back about 3/4 of a inch, as to clear the A/C compressor. You may have to notch the frame out on the right front as well. The compressors on the F-body LT1's have the A/C on the lower right side of the engine. I would also try to get the a/c lines as well, and try to adapt them to the truck.
Old 01-27-2004, 09:15 PM   #4
twoodson

That is what I have been told about the motor mount and a possibility of notching the frame. Jonboy, the motor has the a/c lines and everything. And the transmission that we are going to get is from the car as well and it is the 4L60E. My mechanic and I was just concerned on the wiring conversion and everything. I hope someone who has done this can post some pics and more info. Thanks guys and keep the info coming
twoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 12:48 AM   #5
brad2

My suggestion is forget about the factory wireing harness and get something like a Painless Wireing setup. It will be so much easier!!! You will have to removes a little from the frame rail for the a/c compressor. I was supposed to get someone else a pic of that area but keep forgetting to take the pic. It's usually dark when I get home. You will also have to do a little work on the trans to get a output for your speedometer unless you plan on running a electric one.
brad2 is offline   Reply With Quote