The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-28-2015, 05:19 PM   #1
Bucket of bolts

Determine what truck model

Hi I've got a 1971 GMC truck, from looking at vin number I have been able to decode conventional cab,V8,Fleetside.How do you determine model or series such as Sierra etc. Thanks for looking and input.
Bucket of bolts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 05:21 PM   #2
mcbassin
Still Learning

Re: Determine what truck model

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucket of bolts View Post
Hi I've got a 1971 GMC truck, from looking at vin number I have been able to decode conventional cab,V8,Fleetside.How do you determine model or series such as Sierra etc. Thanks for looking and input.
I'm not sure if you can get the trim or model from the VIN.
have you looked at THIS?
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 06:02 PM   #3
bigdog55

GMC vin numbers are different from the chevy vin numbers. I have seen the gmc version here on the board.
Old 01-28-2015, 09:09 PM   #4
SS Tim

The GMC VIN breaks down to the basics (just like a Chevy), chassis type (4x4 or 4x2), engine (L6, V6 or V8), series (1500, 2500 or 3500), general bodystyle, model year, assembly plant and unit serial number. It won't tell you the specific model, wheelbase, transmission, actual engine or trim level.
* VIN/Model Decoders
Attached Images

SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 10:24 PM   #5
special-K
Special Order

I take it you don't have a SPID to read on the glovebox door. Does it have the original seat? The build sheet may be stuck in the springs. Tell us what the truck has and we can probably get you close. Does it have a headliner? If it does, it's a Cheyenne or Cheyenne Super. If it doesn't have a headliner, but has chrome window trim, vinyl door panels, deluxe dash knobs, it's a Custom Deluxe. All the above had at least lower side trim and trim around the tail lights. If it has black vent windows and no other window trim it's a Custom

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 05:27 PM   #6
Bucket of bolts

Thanks for replies,have no spid .Gmc codes seem different then chev.It has no headliner and metal door panels.No Crome trim. All I can get from vin is 350 long box Fleetside . How do you know where a gmc was built or option pkg.Dash has knobs and cig lighter . Thanks for looking and advice
Old 01-29-2015, 05:36 PM   #7
kwhauck

I've had the same problem as I've got at least three different trucks from what I've determined so far. The glovebox was definitely from another vehicle on mine. As well as on the drivers door the sticker from the same vehicle as the glovebox was taken and glued on.
kwhauck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 05:52 PM   #8
SS Tim

Quote:
Thanks for replies,have no spid .Gmc codes seem different then chev.It has no headliner and metal door panels.No Crome trim. All I can get from vin is 350 long box Fleetside . How do you know where a gmc was built or option pkg.Dash has knobs and cig lighter . Thanks for looking and advice
Assembly plant is noted in the VIN see post #4.
The "E" in the VIN simply denotes a V8 engine, it could just as easily be 307, 350 or a 400 (402) baed on the VIN alone.
as far as model goes it sounds like you have a basic "Custom" trim level. The only place to confirm that would be the SPID or a build sheet. Without either you need to do the detective work and make a best guess. Does it have fender or bed emblems?
Old 01-29-2015, 05:56 PM   #9
SS Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwhauck View Post
I've had the same problem as I've got at least three different trucks from what I've determined so far. The glovebox was definitely from another vehicle on mine. As well as on the drivers door the sticker from the same vehicle as the glovebox was taken and glued on.
Are you sure? Check the frame VIN number first. A lot of GMC trucks had color keyed glove box doors that did not match the interior paint but generally the trim instead. If the door post plate has be changed from another vehicle you likely have problems. In the US its illegal to swap data plates.
Old 01-29-2015, 06:06 PM   #10
kwhauck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Tim View Post
Are you sure? Check the frame VIN number first. A lot of GMC trucks had color keyed glove box doors that did not match the interior paint but generally the trim instead. If the door post plate has be changed from another vehicle you likely have problems. In the US its illegal to swap data plates.
I'm a new owner, everything was done from previous owners as far as that is concerned. I will have to check what you have mentioned. Where would the frame vin be located at?

Thank you for your response.
Old 01-29-2015, 06:46 PM   #11
Bucket of bolts

I've been hijacked Lol
Old 01-29-2015, 07:14 PM   #12
kwhauck

Quote:
I've been hijacked Lol
Sorry!
Old 01-29-2015, 10:38 PM   #13
70'

Look behind and under your seat, you may find the original build sheet. That's where I found mine, stuffed in the metal spring frames of the seat bottom. That will tell you everything you want to know......if it's still there.
70' is offline   Reply With Quote