The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-13-2015, 06:43 PM   #1
no1udknow

68 shortbed fleetside trailer

are just saw a guy in Sacramento that had a trailer with pristine short bed fleetside bed panels on it and he was using it to haul a matress... I tried to offer him money for it as we were about to get on the freeway. But he turned me down.
My build : 68 C10 Short Bed Conversion
no1udknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 06:54 PM   #2
Greasey Harley

Re: 68 shortbed fleetside trailer

There aren't many "barn finds" left, and he all ready found that one. He knew what he had.
Greasey Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 07:07 PM   #3
davepl

I used to see a lot of "trucks made into trailers but cutting the frame just ahead of the bed", and wonder where all the trucks from which they were made came from. There were really common, at least in Saskatchewan.

Would they have been trucks totalled in the front? We did have midwest rust, but no salt, so they weren't falling apart on their own up there.

I'm sure there are a variety of reasons, but did the value of these trucks drift so low when worn out that people cut them up into trailers?
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 09:04 PM   #4
kwmech

I made a couple of those about 20-25 years ago, even installed a parking brake. Wish I had those boxes now. I've also done about 10 long beds. Still see a few of them around town now and then
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 09:11 PM   #5
seattle gmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepl View Post
I used to see a lot of "trucks made into trailers but cutting the frame just ahead of the bed", and wonder where all the trucks from which they were made came from. There were really common, at least in Saskatchewan.

Would they have been trucks totalled in the front? We did have midwest rust, but no salt, so they weren't falling apart on their own up there.

I'm sure there are a variety of reasons, but did the value of these trucks drift so low when worn out that people cut them up into trailers?
My dad had two of these trailers, not sure if he bought them or made them. Im going to ask when i talk to him next.

Growing up these 67-72's were just part of our family. Dad had two trucks, (NOW) my 70 gmc k-2500, and a 72 short bed c/10, and the two trailers. My uncle had a 69 longbed c/10, and he lived right around the corner from us.

2007 Chevy Silverado 1500HD Classic
seattle gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 10:37 PM   #6
cooperhw

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepl View Post

I am a little embarrassed to admit I cut up about 15 trucks years ago making trailers. For no better reason than to make some money. Low paying D.O.T. job at the time and trying to make a few extra bucks.
Sorry guys, my bad.
cooperhw is offline   Reply With Quote