The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-05-2015, 11:19 PM   #26
Coach529

Re: Easy Latch Kit?

I put the Altman kit in my '49 and could not be happier.

"Adventures of Henry"

http://smu.gs/QOlhWY
Coach529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 10:55 AM   #27
octanejunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The805Garage View Post
$350 sounds a little steep for my pocket book for latches. I was checkin these out. Anyone ever used these? http://www.hotrodlatches.com/Large_L...nstall-kit.htm

$50 and American made!
They ave a small latch kit for $38 too.. I send them an email asking what they recommend for 55-59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groyd View Post
I have the Trique on my '51 and it shuts like a new car. It took a few hours to do both sides. The instructions are pretty simple.

I have the hotrodlatches.com on my '57. It took me a couple days due to having to fab up some pieces and experimenting. I ended up drilling out and cutting a portion of the casing to remove the top lever and weld on a push button to work with the '57 style handle. They work great, but it definitely took more effort. Search "Bear Claw Latch Tech" by Antny on the hamb for a pretty good tech on it.
What is the "Trique" please?

'59 Chevy 3100 Stepside
octanejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 10:58 AM   #28
Groyd

Trique is the Altman latch.

I used the $38 setup on the '57.

I'd recommend both.
1971 2WD Blazer - Sold
Groyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 12:17 PM   #29
octanejunkie

Quote:
Trique is the Altman latch.

I used the $38 setup on the '57.

I'd recommend both.
Ah, got it. Thank you.

I'd prefer to keep the interior locking feature.

Do you have details, or a thread posted, about the HotRod Latch install?

'59 Chevy 3100 Stepside
Old 02-06-2015, 12:33 PM   #30
Groyd

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/t...h-tech.512619/

On a 55.2
1971 2WD Blazer - Sold
Old 02-06-2015, 12:39 PM   #31
Groyd

I flipped the bracket upside down and from the opposite side then drilled a hole and mounted the catch on it instead of welding in a cleaner piece of metal. Not as pretty but it works.
1971 2WD Blazer - Sold
Old 02-06-2015, 01:00 PM   #32
octanejunkie

Quote:
Quote:

I flipped the bracket upside down and from the opposite side then drilled a hole and mounted the catch on it instead of welding in a cleaner piece of metal. Not as pretty but it works.
Great. Thanks for the pic.
I assume you kept the door-pin orientation the same (deeper vs. shallower) to get the door to close completely...

'59 Chevy 3100 Stepside
Old 02-06-2015, 01:36 PM   #33
CTurner1978

Trique is the name of our company. Trique Manufacturing. Our product is the Altman Easy Latch. Our design is more costly than the universal latches obviously. However, the cost represents the time saved and potential headaches caused by modifying a set of universal latches to make them work like ours do. Our kits also allow you to install them in completely finished vehicles without the need for welding or repainting previously painted items. Our jam plates are contoured to match the doors lines and our striker plates mount in the stock location. We appreciate those that fabricate and come up with their own solutions. That's how we started! Our product just makes it easier for those that can and achievable for those that can not.

Old 02-06-2015, 02:10 PM   #34
Speedbumpauto

Here's mine showing a manual latch I made to augment the power lock kit I ordered from Altman. You can see, faintly, the two screws where I mounted the solenoid(s). There is a rod with an adjustable end that slides into a slot in the latch that prevents it from opening. The small knob is a manual means of moving the rod up and down to facilitate locking. I was disappointed in the power/remote door lock kit that came from Altman some years ago as it didn't lend itself to an easy install in a tri 5 + plus it came with lots of options for anti theft, etc, that made the wiring way more complicated than it needed to be for most of us. I hope this has changed.
Attached Images

Speedbumpauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 02:55 PM   #35
octanejunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTurner1978 View Post
Trique is the name of our company. Trique Manufacturing. Our product is the Altman Easy Latch. Our design is more costly than the universal latches obviously. However, the cost represents the time saved and potential headaches caused by modifying a set of universal latches to make them work like ours do. Our kits also allow you to install them in completely finished vehicles without the need for welding or repainting previously painted items. Our jam plates are contoured to match the doors lines and our striker plates mount in the stock location. We appreciate those that fabricate and come up with their own solutions. That's how we started! Our product just makes it easier for those that can and achievable for those that can not.
Thanks for catering to the truck crowd and keeping US jobs in America!

Is it true that there is no easy provision for interior locking with your kit?
I don't mind paying a premium for a specialty product that's designed specific to my truck, and installs easily, but I'd rather not lose functionality in the process.
From reading a few other replies here it seems that those that went to add back the interior locking feature spent tons of time and troubles doing so, which could potentially negate all that ease upfront... just speaking aloud here, not meaning to rock the boat.

ps. nice looking door there, speedbump!

'59 Chevy 3100 Stepside
Old 02-06-2015, 04:07 PM   #36
CTurner1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by octanejunkie View Post
Thanks for catering to the truck crowd and keeping US jobs in America!

Is it true that there is no easy provision for interior locking with your kit?
I don't mind paying a premium for a specialty product that's designed specific to my truck, and installs easily, but I'd rather not lose functionality in the process.
From reading a few other replies here it seems that those that went to add back the interior locking feature spent tons of time and troubles doing so, which could potentially negate all that ease upfront... just speaking aloud here, not meaning to rock the boat.

ps. nice looking door there, speedbump!
It is true, our latch kits do not provide an interior lock. All of our latches do however work with the exterior locks. As I have stated, we do have some ideas and we may look into addressing the interior lock issue in the future. It will still likely result in an additional installation versus being able to rock your interior handle forward as you do with the stock setup.

Thank you all for your input.
Old 02-06-2015, 07:34 PM   #37
57mich

I used the Altman kit on my 57 and I think they are an excellent choice, a little bit pricey but they are an easy install, well thought out and work great. No matter what you use the doors need to be lined up correctly. My two cents....
57mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 04:19 PM   #38
eagleuh1

I checked out some of the vehicles in your shop CTTurner78, when I was getting my 50 GMC firetruck estimate of value. Can't beat the craftmanship and quality of your products. X2 on made right here at home. Will probably have mine down from Dover to put some latches on in near future. Jim
eagleuh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 10:56 PM   #39
49panel

Quote:
Originally Posted by The805Garage View Post
$350 sounds a little steep for my pocket book for latches. I was checkin these out. Anyone ever used these? http://www.hotrodlatches.com/Large_L...nstall-kit.htm

$50 and American made!
I used these also on my 49 Panel. Large on the driver and passenger and a medium on the latching rear door. All are set up with remote opening and shaved door handles.
Took a little engineering and fab to install but not too difficult for an old fart like me.
49panel is offline   Reply With Quote