The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-24-2015, 05:34 PM   #1
j.rigby15r

Moving to Alaska: To sell or not to sell need advice

So I have a 64 C10 that I have been fixing, modifying, restoring, playing with. I am moving to Alaska later this year and I am debating on if I should sell my truck before I move and buy something that would be more practical in Alaska. I have over 5k in the truck and am making progress and don't really want to sell but I worry that she might not be a good truck to have in Alaska as far as being able to drive in the snow as well as finding parts and ordering parts from the lower 48. If anyone has any input or advice please let me know especially if you live up there. As of right now she is my daily driver, and probably will continue to be for awhile. Any thoughts?
j.rigby15r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 06:00 PM   #2
TwoFiftyShifter

Re: Moving to Alaska: To sell or not to sell need advice

I moved from NY to GA last summer and had to pull a uhaul with my belongings in it and haul 2 motorcycles. My F150 was better suited to this task so I left my K10 at home with my folks. Said I'd sell it once winter hits as I have no use for a 4x4 here in GA. A year later... I miss my truck! I will be bringing it down in the fall. I may not see snow or even dirt down here but of I sell it and buy a C10 down here, I will miss my truck.

If you can afford to bring it up there, you should. If a C10 isn't practical, you will find out soon enough.
Old 05-24-2015, 06:25 PM   #3
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

If your in the military, you won't be there for long anyway. Store it and get back on it when you leave Alaska.

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 06:35 PM   #4
62 Barnfind

I'm military too and I know what you're going thru. In 25 years I have moved many times and sold trucks I wished I didn't later on. My advice is to keep it! It's paid for and doesn't cost you anything if you are not driving it. I know it will cost you to move it up to Alaska. Can you keep it at your parents or relatives? You put a lot of work in it and you know everything that is wrong with it. If you get another you will have to start over to get it where you are now. I just went thru the same thing about selling or keeping. At the end it's your decision.
My build tread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=507513
62 Barnfind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 06:46 PM   #5
j.rigby15r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde65 View Post
If your in the military, you won't be there for long anyway. Store it and get back on it when you leave Alaska.
I'll be there for a minimum of three years.
Old 05-24-2015, 06:50 PM   #6
j.rigby15r

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62 Barnfind View Post
I'm military too and I know what you're going thru. In 25 years I have moved many times and sold trucks I wished I didn't later on. My advice is to keep it! It's paid for and doesn't cost you anything if you are not driving it. I know it will cost you to move it up to Alaska. Can you keep it at your parents or relatives? You put a lot of work in it and you know everything that is wrong with it. If you get another you will have to start over to get it where you are now. I just went thru the same thing about selling or keeping. At the end it's your decision.
I want to keep it maybe I can store it with my patents, but the army will pay to have it shipped so that's not an issue. I'm more worried about getting parts shipped up there and driving it in the winter.
Old 05-24-2015, 06:54 PM   #7
Tropical Snowstorm
Lurky lurky

Store it and get a beater with a heater up there. I put everything I wanted to keep in storage at my parent's place when I moved up to AK and was glad to come back to my old stuff. If you are getting expenses for moving take it and flip it, there's few decent old vehicles up there and plenty of people looking for them. Drive it in the summer and sell it when you leave....

As for keeping it- If you're Anchorage or south the cold won't beat up the truck too bad but the snow can pile up making AWD or 4x4 a necessity. Much north of Wasilla it get pretty cold, I was always nervous with my 200k+ 03 zZ71 on long trips especially when it was 40 or more below zero. Starting a carbed vehicle in the winter is not something I would want to mess with...
Tropical Snowstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 06:56 PM   #8
j.rigby15r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical Snowstorm View Post
Store it and get a beater with a heater up there. I put everything I wanted to keep in storage at my parent's place when I moved up to AK and was glad to come back to my old stuff. If you are getting expenses for moving take it and flip it, there's few decent old vehicles up there and plenty of people looking for them. Drive it in the summer and sell it when you leave....

As for keeping it- If you're Anchorage or south the cold won't beat up the truck too bad but the snow can pile up making AWD or 4x4 a necessity. Much north of Wasilla it get pretty cold, I was always nervous with my 200k+ 03 zZ71 on long trips especially when it was 40 or more below zero. Starting a carbed vehicle in the winter is not something I would want to mess with...
Thanks for the advice. Maybe I'll take it and but a 4x4 s10 for the winters and keep the c10 for summers and winter projects.
Old 05-24-2015, 07:28 PM   #9
Slow Build

Check out the Northwest regional forum. This might be moved there anyway.

This is a thread with members from Alaska. These guys will probably give you some great insight.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=500997
Past GM Trucks:
1959 GMC short stepside
1968 GMC short stepside-4x4
1973 Chevy short stepside
1989 Chevy short fleetside-reg cab
1993 Chevy short fleetside-Xcab
2002 Chevy short fleetside-Xcab

Save the dinosaurs, use synthetic oil.
Slow Build is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 07:36 PM   #10
j.rigby15r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Build View Post
Check out the Northwest regional forum. This might be moved there anyway.

This is a thread with members from Alaska. These guys will probably give you some great insight.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=500997
Thanks for the direction
Old 05-24-2015, 09:15 PM   #11
dougf

If anything put it in storage and pick up a cheap 4x4. My advice.
dougf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 09:22 PM   #12
padresag

I depends on where you live up there and where you have to go, they do have snow plows and such there. life carries on there much as it does anywhere and people have to get around. there are a few members here that are up there. maybe one will say something
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote