The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-01-2015, 01:15 PM   #1
chris mc bride

which upgrades towing

Wondering which upgrades to make to my 69 panel 1/2 ton to make it better for towing with. Figure the 489 ci bbc has plenty power and making suspenion better would be good idea.

Going to upgrade brakes to biggest and best possible. What else would be on your list of to do?
Will mainly be towing 30' enclosed with FED(1200).generator,air compressor,tool box and some spare parts.

I know truck can tow 30' camper well and even at speeds lot higher than posted limit.Lets say grandfather passed his lead foot down the line. So not worried about truck handling load just want to make it safe and comfortable as possible during trip.
Old 08-01-2015, 01:58 PM   #2
68c10airstream

Re: which upgrades towing

You will be most likely be needing additional alternator output because of electric brakes and possible electric cooling fan(s). A late model delco alternator would be my choice, 120 amp minimum. If you are not running a serpentine belt system yet rob a bbc late 80's early 90's gm system and at least the biggest alternator from that time frame. Since the late 80's gm alternators are delta wound for higher amp output at a lower rpm and work very good. Some big blocks of that time frame ran electric pusher fans out front to help when needed.

Trans cooler? I pull a small airstream (2700lbs) and use a cooler and didn't plumb it into the radiator. My way has been debated here before but on a high 90's degree day just off the highway pulling the trailer in overdrive at 1600 rpms in lockup my trand fluid temp is at most 155 degrees F, via scan tool and i shot the trans pan with a non-contact temp gun. Your load is obviously WAY MORE than mine.

Running A/C in the cab? Free wheeling clutch fan? I would run an aluminum radiator with schroud

Run a good brand (grote, etc) 7 wire premium trailer wiring cord to the rear for your trailer needs. If you want to wire it the best way possible (in my mind) pm me and i will draw a wiring diagram for you using relays and fuses. The beauty of this system is 2 fold; by using relays your stock flasher will cycle at the same rate, trailer plugged in or not. Your stock original truck wiring harness won't handle the additional load of the trailer (small milliamp load from the stock harness to cycle the relays)

Good luck, Brian F.
68c10airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 10:43 PM   #3
Mike C

Brakes. Tires. Drive axle. Transmission.

I would seriously think about upgrading to 3/4 ton parts if hauling is a primary function of your truck.
68 Camaro 'vert LT1 & TH700
69 Z/28 355 12.6's @110
69 Chevy Short Step 4 1/2"/7" drop
72 Jimmy 4WD 4spd 4" & 35's
02 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Duramax
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 10:26 PM   #4
chris mc bride

Trans is turbo 400.Could use od but for now I know its more than tough enough,Have coolers and fans. Yes wil have A/C vintage air with rear air out of astro van we junked out.Hum wonder about the pulleys off it,something to check on.ALTERNATOR was not a question old one sounded like rocks bouncing around inside.
tires are item I think need to be beefer,axles i don't see need for and brakes where never even a question as said in OP they are on list and getting parts for them already.

Towing is not primary use and 99% of trips I will use panel for will be short 100 mile or less and are 90% interstates. If going more I will be using the fl-70 motrhome conversion we built,better sleeping also.
Thanks for ideas and keep them coming.
Old 08-03-2015, 02:15 AM   #5
andrewmp6

I would add helper air bags to the rear and make sure i have a trans cooler.As long as you tow smart you should be fine.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 06:52 PM   #6
69gmcc10

I would first go for a Long Tru-Cool Max auxiliary trans cooler with bypass (it comes as a kit) to keep the trans in the proper temp ranges because if trans temps get high enough they can effect engine temps dramatically. Second do some reading up on trailer load distribution and securing your load just for a refresher (every one should do this every so often). Get a tongue scale to assure that the load is weighted properly to assure the trailer doesn't try and push, pull, lift, or whip your vehicle arround. Purchase a good trailer brake controller with allot of adjustments and settings combined with proper wiring. Finally I would get good breaks for the panel truck because if you do all of the other things correctly like manage vehicle temps, have good trailer breaks and secure your load properly in the right spot the breaks on the truck will be your last weak spot.

03 Silverado build thread-http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=591582
69gmcc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 03:30 AM   #7
picklito

I'd swap to a beefier rear axle than the 12-bolt. I don't like the open roller design of their wheel bearings for heavy duty use.
picklito is offline   Reply With Quote