The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-11-2015, 06:11 PM   #1
praisegeetarman

New wheel day..... Stockton customs

Just got my custom build set of wheels from Stockton wheel. Been a long wait, but well worth it in my opinion.

They started out life as a set of 6 hole, 16" X 5" chevy steels (3 1/2" backspace). I actually ran them with the shown 235-85-16's for a while as 5's even though it isn't recommended. They worked, but I had to keep the pressure low and that made them a little spongy.

Several months later they are now 16" X 6" with 4 1/2" backspace. Unchanged on the outside, but noticeable when looking at the tire. 4 1/2" backspace is the max on a 1/2 ton front axle. They are within a 1/4" of the tie rod end. Spaced in as far as possible. Also, much more stable going down the road with reasonable pressure in the tires.

Before:

After:

What do you think?

Keith

Keith Riel
praisegeetarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 07:12 PM   #2
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Re: New wheel day..... Stockton customs

They look good

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 08:07 PM   #3
9teen69

I looked into Stockton when I lived in CA for widening my Camaro wheels but never did.

I hear a lot of good things about them, but not cheap. But most quality items aren't

They look really nice...sweet blazer!
70 Camaro RS (daily driver backup)
69 Custom LWB C10 (son now drives)
9teen69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 08:14 PM   #4
picklito

Nothin' quite like skinny white steelies.
(that K5 doesn't exactly suck, either)

I thought the first pic looked perfect... until I saw the second. Then you notice the low tire pressure in the first and the proper inflation and sidewall layout in the second. Nicely done.
Even 'aired down' for those who do that, I bet you'd get a better feel with the slightly wider wheel. Also helpful to know what the 6" width looks like. Thanks for posting.
picklito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 08:19 PM   #5
doo142

Looks great!!
doo142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 08:27 PM   #6
praisegeetarman

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklito View Post
Nothin' quite like skinny white steelies.
(that K5 doesn't exactly suck, either)

I thought the first pic looked perfect... until I saw the second. Then you notice the low tire pressure in the first and the proper inflation and sidewall layout in the second. Nicely done.
Even 'aired down' for those who do that, I bet you'd get a better feel with the slightly wider wheel. Also helpful to know what the 6" width looks like. Thanks for posting.
I have made quite a lot of progress in the drivability of my blazer. First, a front swaybar made a huge difference. Next, the tires and wheels. Big plus in making it track straight. Add a leafs make for a soft ride without sway. The last thing I did helped tremendously, and I didn't expect it. I put 1 1/2" spacers in the back to set the wheels in the wells where I wanted them. The tall/skinnys in the back looked too far in to me (no spacers in the before pic….. not terrible from the side or front, but didn't look right at all from the back). To my surprise, it did quite a lot to reduce the rear sway. Unexpected bonus. Go figure…..

Keith

Keith Riel
Old 08-11-2015, 11:29 PM   #7
mike16

I tried to get some 6 x 16 five lug rims custom made for my 72 c 10. spent more time trying to justify it to the sales rep than was nessessarry. After asking me"but why" four times I finally explained to them that I am the customer and currently the money is in my pocket so there for until otherwise I dictate how when and on what I spend my money.

never did get a clear answer on if they could do it, or if not why not.

no problem trying to sell me every other type of tastless ugly rim out there . but a steel 6x16 five lug rim fo a 72? but why? but why? but why?

more like....butt head. it aint rocket science, its the business your in.

your rims look nice. May be theres hope.
mike16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 11:41 PM   #8
praisegeetarman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike16 View Post
I tried to get some 6 x 16 five lug rims custom made for my 72 c 10. spent more time trying to justify it to the sales rep than was nessessarry. After asking me"but why" four times I finally explained to them that I am the customer and currently the money is in my pocket so there for until otherwise I dictate how when and on what I spend my money.

never did get a clear answer on if they could do it, or if not why not.

no problem trying to sell me every other type of tastless ugly rim out there . but a steel 6x16 five lug rim fo a 72? but why? but why? but why?

more like....butt head. it aint rocket science, its the business your in.

your rims look nice. May be theres hope.

Ya, I hear ya. It took me quite a while to get them to understand I wanted them made with my 16" centers. They wanted to build them using 15" centers. That would work, but the 16" centers look slightly different and that is what I wanted. I wanted the finished product to look like the rare stock 16" wheels.

Keith Riel
Old 08-12-2015, 12:05 AM   #9
special-K
Special Order

What do I think? Let me settle down a bit from the buzz those pictures gave me and I'll let you know.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 12:17 AM   #10
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Those look great, glad to see Stockton came through. I have heard nothing but horror stories about their service, well except an occasional ... "mine came quickly"