The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-12-2015, 11:31 PM   #1
jomatt20

Taillight harness retainers/routing

In the process of getting ready to install my tail light harness drone firewall to rear. Just curious if any of you guys have pics of the routing and the retainers you used. I'd like to see how you guys routed yours so I know I've done it correctly.
jomatt20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 12:11 AM   #2
Gromit

Re: Taillight harness retainers/routing

A few good old zip ties will be good as far as fastening everything down to prevent chafing and keep the harness in place

Sorry I have no photos; but I do know to suggest that you start from the center and route each leg of the rear taillight harness through the provided holes on that rearmost transverse support towards each side's tail light assembly.

Because when I replaced mine I didn't do that on one side and was bummed to find I had to pull half of the harness back out again just to loop it back through the holes

I doubt that I am making sense here but once you have it in front of you - you will see what I mean..

I would recommend wearing a dust mask and eye protection because a lot of dirt will flake off as you are pushing that harness around under the frame (unless you have one of those frame-off beauties)..

The grounds are really important and you really have to look at both surfaces (the body metal where the ground fitting mates) and the fitting itself to be sure they are making a good connection and there is clean metal.. you can spray it with cold galvanizing AFTER assembly so that you have a good connection and then the whole assembly is protected.

A little Di-Electric grease is handy too..

The Side Markers ground to the sheet metal and the taillights ground through the screws that attach the tail light housing to the body. so I paid close attention to wire brushing those connections as I put it together and it worked out okay.

Otherwise you risk ending up with weakly glowing taillights and the Man pulling you over..
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 12:26 AM   #3
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

I wish I had the link, but there are some aftermarket clips you can buy somewhat similar the originals. I haven't dove in under the cab yet, but four are used to mount the harness to the LH frame under my short bed, and there are more, just not sure the total yet................Search this website for the clips, that's where I found them. They're tan in color. I believe rubber coating.

Also look at the assembly manual. I'm sure it covers it. Just a matter of locating the right page, which is usually a pain in the arsch.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assembly kit for restoring the (a) truck from the ground up. My build thread, and more on the assembly kit https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 12:38 AM   #4
jeffahart

I don't have pics but there are retaining clips running inside the driver side frame channel. When the harness splits off to passenger side wiring, there are clips in the channel just behind the bottom of the tailgate behind your bumper.
Old 11-13-2015, 12:42 AM   #5
FirstOwner69

Here are 2 pictures showing the clips originally used inside the left frame rail of my 69 long bed (3/4 ton). I'll get under the truck tomorrow to count how many there are. I looked a few minutes ago and don't think I'll be able to snap more pictures though.
Attached Images

FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 01:02 AM   #6
jomatt20

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstOwner69 View Post
Here are 2 pictures showing the clips originally used inside the left frame rail of my 69 long bed (3/4 ton). I'll get under the truck tomorrow to count how many there are. I looked a few minutes ago and don't think I'll be able to snap more pictures though.
Thanks bud appreciate it
They look similar to the ones that run on the rear cross sill for the rear light harness under the bed

Last edited by jomatt20; 11-13-2015 at 01:14 AM.
Old 11-13-2015, 01:12 AM   #7
FirstOwner69

One more picture from my file.
Attached Images

Old 11-13-2015, 01:23 AM   #8
FirstOwner69

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 View Post
Assembly Manual (not verified for your truck): https://flic.kr/p/AB6YXC

Potential aftermarket clips. They look like they'll work, diameter might be an issue: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1955-1956-19...mtr&rmvSB=true
Good find on the clips! Look close to the originals. I agree on the diameter concern.
Old 11-13-2015, 01:27 AM   #9
FirstOwner69

These look even closer... The originals had a rubber or vinyl coating on the part that contacts the wire. It doesn't look like these do.
http://www.classicparts.com/1947-72-...tinfo/52-905/#

Last edited by FirstOwner69; 11-13-2015 at 01:55 AM.
Old 11-13-2015, 01:41 AM   #10
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
That they do. These are originals after my first attempt to clean. They ended up like new (brushes, paint thinner and WD-40). They were painted black. Slight surface rust.....Now tucked away in a box someplace:

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assembly kit for restoring the (a) truck from the ground up. My build thread, and more on the assembly kit https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
Old 11-13-2015, 01:43 AM   #11
FirstOwner69

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomatt20 View Post
They look similar to the ones that run on the rear cross sill for the rear light harness under the bed
Identical.
Old 11-13-2015, 01:54 AM   #12
FirstOwner69

Quote:
That they do. These are originals after my first attempt to clean. They ended up like new (brushes, paint thinner and WD-40). They were painted black. Slight surface rust.....Now tucked away in a box someplace:

If you rinse them with alcohol and soak them in phosphoric acid and/or use gun blue they'll be black like they were when new. Rust resistant too.
Old 11-13-2015, 01:59 AM   #13
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
If you rinse them with alcohol and soak them in phosphoric acid and/or use gun blue they'll be black like they were when new. Rust resistant too.
The entire clips were painted black. I initially used the acid, but was afraid it might damage because they're awfully thin, so they only sat for an hour or so. Didn't think to use alcohol, but great idea. I'm going to use this to paint the metal. If you catch the right "sale", under $50 with shipping. Still expensive. Will be using this stuff selectively, small parts. They claim fluids won't damage the finish, and from what I've seen, it's a nice finish.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Eastwood/352/1...de4aAi8x8P8HAQ
Old 11-13-2015, 02:04 AM   #14
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Identical.
Close. I don't see any rubber coating, but they'll definitely work.
Old 11-13-2015, 02:04 AM   #15
FirstOwner69

Quote:
The entire clips were painted black. I initially used the acid, but was afraid it might damage because they're awfully thin, so they only sat for an hour or so. Didn't think to use alcohol, but great idea. I'm going to use this to paint the metal. If you catch the right "sale", under $50 with shipping. Still expensive. Will be using this stuff selectively, small parts.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Eastwood/352/1...de4aAi8x8P8HAQ
My originals were not painted. They were black phosphate just like all or most of the bolts used on the trucks. I also restored all my original bolts as I described above. Yours do look slightly different from mine however.
Old 11-13-2015, 02:15 AM   #16
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
My originals were not painted. They were black phosphate just like all or most of the bolts used on the trucks. I also restored all my original bolts as I described above. Yours do look slightly different from mine however.
Seems there were variances. In fact, I received some extra OEMs that look identical, just slightly smaller. Mine were painted because I rattle canned the entire frame, long ago. Now I get to undo and do right.

I got the cold oxide kit from Caswell too. Will use that for small items like u-nuts, maybe some bolts. I've yet to finish one item. That will come in the spring. Until then, dismantle, prep, and a ton of notes.

I also have some black rubber coated clips, which were pulled when my bud and I R&R the engine in 1993. Couldn't tell you what they're for yet, but another seven or so. Might be for the hose from the tank to the vapor canister, which we never put back on. Already have its replacement. Really, two ha!.

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 11-13-2015 at 02:27 AM.
Old 11-13-2015, 01:47 PM   #17
kehstr

Wink Re: Taillight harness retainers/routing

you may want to consider if you will ever tow a trailer with your truck. If you think you ever will, it would be a wise and smart decision to set that wiring up now while you are running all of the wires you need, and it's all very easy to get to. If you know that it will never haul a trailer, than that will make things even easier
kehstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 04:01 PM   #18
NoNeck

We routed our tail light harness same as original, and the guys are right. There should be some clips (or empty holes for the clips) on the drivers side frame rail. The mid-harness from under the bed connects to a grommet on the actual tail light harness on a metal support at the very back of the bed.

Maybe this photo helps with the routing.

POP
Attached Images

If it costs you a dollar to make a friend, KEEP THE DOLLAR.
If it costs you a friend to make a dollar, KEEP THE FRIEND.
NoNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 04:04 PM   #19
jomatt20

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNeck View Post
We routed our tail light harness same as original, and the guys are right. There should be some clips (or empty holes for the clips) on the drivers side frame rail. The mid-harness from under the bed connects to a grommet on the actual tail light harness on a metal support at the very back of the bed.

Maybe this photo helps with the routing.

POP
This helps a bunch thanks pop
Old 11-13-2015, 04:16 PM   #20
FirstOwner69

I just crawled under the truck and took pics. There are 7 clips on the frame rail, 1 on the rear cross member where the taillight harness connects and 3 inside the rear bed sill. I can post the pictures this evening if you still want them. Let me know.

Jim
Old 11-13-2015, 05:24 PM   #21
jomatt20

Quote:
I just crawled under the truck and took pics. There are 7 clips on the frame rail, 1 on the rear cross member where the taillight harness connects and 3 inside the rear bed sill. I can post the pictures this evening if you still want them. Let me know.

Jim
The more the better, thanks man
Old 11-14-2015, 01:53 AM   #22
FirstOwner69

Pictures starting at front. Some pictures show the factory camper wiring harness running parallel to the lighting harnesses.
Attached Images

Old 11-14-2015, 01:54 AM   #23
FirstOwner69

Page 2... 4th picture is at back of rear cross member. 5th is inside left end of rear bed sill.
Attached Images

Old 11-14-2015, 01:55 AM   #24
FirstOwner69

Page 3... 1st picture is inside rear bed sill at center. 2nd is at right end of rear bed sill. My truck never had a bed to frame ground strap so ignore that in the last picture.
Attached Images

Old 11-14-2015, 09:53 AM   #25
jomatt20

Thanks this helps a lot!