The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-14-2015, 09:35 PM   #1
jocko

Trying to reconnect with member - and a paint question!

Trying to remember the owner's name and for the life of me, I can't remember. Recall chatting with him about this truck and his great plans for it - and now I can't remember his name. I must be getting old. Anyway - if anyone could remind me who the owner is, that would be much appreciated.

In the meantime, I hope he doesn't mind me posting a portion of an old pic of what I think was his pop's truck to pose a paint question. I'm trying to find the paint code for this truck - i.e. which two 78 colors made up this two tone? Or, perhaps it was a special paint option. It looks like "yellow" and "neutral" kinda (or perhaps Santa Fe Tan in the middle rather than Neutral (ppg name?) - but the yellow seems much lighter than 78 GM yellow. Looks a little more like the Chevy Luv Jasmine Yellow, thus the question about a possible special paint order.

Reason I'm asking - I have a "special paint" white over orange 76 and am considering a complete re-do. I love orange, but... I have a full saddle interior and I'm just not crazy about that combo (orange and saddle). Doesn't look bad, but, I figure if I am redoing the whole shabang, might as well make it what I want. And then it will be "special paint" to me Ha. I am hesitant to change from stock combo, hate to do that, but orange and saddle aint workin for me, and plans are for a frame-off someday down the road. Might change my mind back yet, but the pic is of one of my all time favorite squares. Thanks for the help - looking for the combo code, the individual color names/codes, etc. Anyone got a pale yellow truck with saddle interior??
Attached Images

Last edited by jocko; 11-14-2015 at 10:10 PM.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 09:38 PM   #2
jocko

Re: Trying to reconnect with member - and a paint question!

as a comparison - THIS truck looks like yellow/neutal combo to me - you'll notice the yellow looks much more "yellow" or brighter than the main body color in post #1. That's why I'm asking - color combo above stymies me a bit!
Attached Images

Old 11-14-2015, 09:42 PM   #3
Man With A Gun

I've got an '86 GMC Dually that I just repainted. Looks like the same color. I think it's called Doeskin Tan or something like that.

Any ideas how much I can safely tow with this beast?

Man With A Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 10:15 PM   #4
jocko

That looks like Santa Fe Tan to me (at least in terms of late-70's color names). I think Buckskin was a good bit darker than that. Nice looking truck! Not sure what the minimum requirement would be to tow it though, sorry - maybe someone else will chime in.
Old 11-15-2015, 06:34 AM   #5
Big Daddy Draayom

Buckskin/Santa Fe Tan, according to vin build sheet on glovebox door.1978 Cheyenne, original paint
Attached Images

Big Daddy Draayom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 09:41 AM   #6
bhc41051

I think the trucks in post 1 and 2 are the same color. The first post is a scan of an old photo and the second is a digital photo. Colonial Yellow #53 and Santa Fe Tan #60 or Frost White #12 were the only stock combos available.
bhc41051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 09:55 AM   #7
jocko

thank you bhc, that's what I was looking for. Concur on the fading, sometimes when I'd look at it, I'd wonder if it was actually white in the middle... Guess I like the faded look a little better than the actual 53/60 combo. Hmmm... Maybe orange isn't so bad, at least it's stock. Btw, I did find another example - sold on ebay about a month ago, and had an interior pic. It didn't floor me like I was hoping, I like orange about as much. I like it a lot, but maybe not enough to push me over the edge to change it from original combo (ref pictured last)
Attached Images