The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-23-2016, 02:31 AM   #1
ck5566
Account Suspended

Differences in RamHorns

New at this site, I have a little question on the benefits & usages of these exh. manifolds for any early SBC engine groupings, 283, 305, 307, 327, 350. These I have found on Summit Racing. Prices look good compared to some found in Restoration Catalogs ranging around the $ 130 - $175 esh. & sometimes EACH "ouch" prices. thanks
Attached Images

ck5566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 08:01 AM   #2
lowbucktrucks

Re: Differences in RamHorns

I think angled neck for trucks, straight necks for vettes (possibally other cars, but my corvette is straight). IIRC, there is a left and right side also
lowbucktrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 09:35 AM   #3
FlameOut

The straight is what comes with the 4x4's

2004 Chevy Silverado Z71 Ext Cab 1500
1972 Chevy K-10 SOLD
1967 Chevelle SS
FlameOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 02:16 PM   #4
ck5566
Account Suspended

Also in question with the fitment of the Exh. is the trans lines getting in the way. PO's have put in a 700R4 and mickey moused the running of the lines very badly. I have found out the year of the tranny (92) so getting new lines might fix this problem but in my case the truck never had a 700R4 so don't really know if the lines will route in a way that don't get in the way of the exh. and if they will even route up to where the receiving lines hookup to the radiator. ***Is there a After Market line of trans lines that will work in these trucks with this combo. I guess I could buy a tubing bender to tweak the lines "here in there" a little for a fitment? thank you.
Old 04-23-2016, 02:29 PM   #5
stomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ck5566 View Post
Also in question with the fitment of the Exh. is the trans lines getting in the way. PO's have put in a 700R4 and mickey moused the running of the lines very badly. I have found out the year of the tranny (92) so getting new lines might fix this problem but in my case the truck never had a 700R4 so don't really know if the lines will route in a way that don't get in the way of the exh. and if they will even route up to where the receiving lines hookup to the radiator. ***Is there a After Market line of trans lines that will work in these trucks with this combo. I guess I could buy a tubing bender to tweak the lines "here in there" a little for a fitment? thank you.
TH350 trans cooler lines route to almost the same location on the trans. In fact I think they plug right in a 700R without much bending. So... stock AT lines should work fine with ram horns. This is what I have on my truck 700r, ram horns, stock at cooler lines. I did the trans swap myself but it's been about 5 years ago.

Ram horns in general... there are 2 main styles, angled and straight down dump. For trucks, straight is for 4x4, angled for 2wd. Straight down ones without any accessory mounting provisions are interchangeable L/R. Straight ones can be made to work on 2wd but you need a good exhaust guy to make that first tight radius bend or I have seen pre-bent elbows online. 2-1/2" only came in straight down and only on cars. The driver side straight dump with accessory mount was for generator on early sbc. Passenger straight dump with accessory was for AC on early sbc. Later years went with brackets mounted to block and heads. Rare find is the passenger 2-1/2" with accessory mount (high HP with AC).

Last edited by stomper; 04-23-2016 at 02:39 PM.
stomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 03:50 PM   #6
ck5566
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by stomper View Post
TH350 trans cooler lines route to almost the same location on the trans. In fact I think they plug right in a 700R without much bending. So... stock AT lines should work fine with ram horns. This is what I have on my truck 700r, ram horns, stock at cooler lines. I did the trans swap myself but it's been about 5 years ago.

Ram horns in general... there are 2 main styles, angled and straight down dump. For trucks, straight is for 4x4, angled for 2wd. Straight down ones without any accessory mounting provisions are interchangeable L/R. Straight ones can be made to work on 2wd but you need a good exhaust guy to make that first tight radius bend or I have seen pre-bent elbows online. 2-1/2" only came in straight down and only on cars. The driver side straight dump with accessory mount was for generator on early sbc. Passenger straight dump with accessory was for AC on early sbc. Later years went with brackets mounted to block and heads. Rare find is the passenger 2-1/2" with accessory mount (high HP with AC).
thank you, this is the answers that i am looking for - for my problem child "my truck" Looking for any more answers if at all needed here. great answers keep them coming.