The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-16-2016, 10:00 PM   #1
Bret B

Brake line size

Looking for information on what size brake lines I need to run for a disc/disc set up. I've got the CPP front disc brake set-up in the front and Wilwood disc set-up in the rear. Years and years ago (like 1995) I bought a stainless set of lines for a disc/drum combination. Do not recall the manufacturer right now, and irregardless, the fit really isn't good. The tubes are different sizes 3/16 and 1/4 which I understand to be correct for disc/drum. I believe I can use pieces of the stainless kit but would need to make some other lines to make it work. So, what size should I be using for a disc/disc combination? Is there a reason the brake lines are routed down the passenger side to the rear and not the driver side (maybe because of the fuel line on the driver side?)? Stainless does now seem like way overkill considering with properly maintained brake system, new lines could last another 50+ years for mild steel or the copper/nickel (think that is what it is, could be wrong).

Also, any input on what manufacturer I should get the brake booster and master cylinder from?
.................|_/(0)\_ll____/(0)_l.
Bret B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 10:09 PM   #2
Bret B

Re: Brake line size

As it sits right now anyway. Still need to get the parking brake lines run up to the cross member as well.
Attachment 1533722
Old 05-16-2016, 10:41 PM   #3
aotte1

The brake manufacturer, should provide a brake line size needed, along with master cylinder volume needed to activate the brakes, and bore size. This will include the travel needed for the MC to provide this volume.

Note: Just put on Wilwood dual calipers per wheel and stainless steel rotors rear brakes ,with Wilwood fronts too. They will stop you, from 125 quick.
aotte1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 10:54 PM   #4
lumpy63

The reason the rear line runs down the passenger side is that originally the it was a single resevoir master cyl. The lines ran in a continuos loop , with a dual reservoir its a split system, front -rear you can run rear line down drivers side, it makes for a cleaner installation.I like to use 3/16 line makes for a firmer pedal .
lumpy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 11:55 PM   #5
Bret B

Sounds like I'll have to contact CPP and find out about bore size and other technical stuff. I'm pretty sure their vague instructions don't include that information. The Wilwood brakes, I'll have to re-read the instructions. Only recall the proportioning valve, bleed instructions, and component breakdown. Don't recall brake line size called out. Which brings up I need a disc/disc proportioning valve or a manually adjustable valve. I have a disc/drum which has never had fluid or mounted...yeah, picked that up in 1997 and never got to it. What can I say...long term procrastinator...

If I run the rear line down the drivers side, it might make for a cleaner installation. It also means I'll have to be more aware of where the fuel line will be routed and electrical running down the drivers side.

Anyone have a picture as to how the park brake cable is routed along the CPP trailing arm? It has a small open hole bracket off the trailing arm, but no retaining hardware. The original retaining hardware clamp/hardware doesn't look like it will work properly in their trailing arm.
Old 05-17-2016, 09:21 AM   #6
R_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpy63 View Post
The reason the rear line runs down the passenger side is that originally the it was a single resevoir master cyl. The lines ran in a continuos loop , with a dual reservoir its a split system, front -rear you can run rear line down drivers side, it makes for a cleaner installation.I like to use 3/16 line makes for a firmer pedal .
That statement about running the brake line down the driver's side is just what I needed to see this morning. After spending an hour under my truck this morning figuring out how to make a '66 truck with a '72 cross member with a custom proportioning valve setup work for the rear, yeah...

"Daddy, that truck's not red"
Build Thread: TN 20 Build
R_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 09:49 AM   #7
lumpy63

Hey R W works out real clean, on the rear crossmember just pop a new hole on the drivers side mirror image to the one on pass side and relocate tab on axle to drivers side.
lumpy63 is offline   Reply With Quote