The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-26-2016, 09:44 AM   #1
harryelsucio

Problems with instrumental generator

Hello friends, someone has the same dashboard that can help me? The generated light is on and not what is the problem. As the system is connected to the generator, I put a video of my chevy where the instrument panel, also I have some pictures of my chevy c10. Search the forum and found nothing to help, only the user Jferrante has the same panel but can not find the topic, thank you and excuse my English appears

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlhOJ4O_sgg
Attached Images

harryelsucio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 08:51 PM   #2
frankslagoon

Re: Problems with instrumental generator

I quess the first question is, do you have a generator or an alt. and is the battery getting charged up when the truck is running. put a volt meter on the battery and you should have 13 or 14 volts when the truck is running.
frankslagoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 07:48 AM   #3
harryelsucio

Hello. It is an alternator, I'll try what you telling me, thanks
Old 05-27-2016, 10:18 AM   #4
67 Burb

Welcome to the forum. I have to say, I love that 160 km/h speedometer. Good luck with your problem. And your English is a lot better than my Spanish.

1967 2wd Burb, 350/TH350, 3.73 posi
67 Burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 11:03 AM   #5
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryelsucio View Post
Hello. It is an alternator, I'll try what you telling me, thanks

Here are some wiring diagrams that should help you diagnose this problem.
Save them to your hard drive for reference.

Engine compartment.

Name:  64_wiring_page1.jpg 1.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  87.9 KB

In cab wiring.

Name:  64_wiring_page2.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  96.5 KB

Tail light wiring.Name:  64_wiring_page3.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  37.8 KB

The purpose of the light is to tell you that the charging output of the alternator is greater or less than the battery charged voltage.
this can be caused by the battery going bad, the regulator malfunctioning, or the alternator charging too little or too much. The voltage check will determine the battery and alternator state and the regulator can affect each of those.

The light works through voltage differences between the battery and the alternator. When the key is turned on the battery voltage is greater than the alternator voltage and the light will come on. When the engine is started and the alternator charges, it will send a voltage back feed to the light and when that voltage equals the battery voltage the light will go off.

The light circuit is all positive and it is grounded through the alternator diodes which compete the circuit and the light illuminates. Once the alternator begins charging, it closes the ground for the light and the light is all positive with no ground which will turn off the light.

If you look at the 2nd diagram on the right you will see the instruments and the GEN TALE light with the associated wiring. Since your light comes on and goes off with the key switch. I do not suspect the wiring or the power to the light. That leaves the regulator the battery or the alternator as the suspects.

Again, the voltage checks should rule out the alternator and the battery so you're left with the regulator. If your voltages are below the specified and the battery maintains a charge with a remote charger, Then the regulator or the alternator are left. You can jump the regulator or the alternator to rule out the alternator leaving you with just the regulator. If you jump the regulator or the alternator the alternator will go to full output and will get hot in a few minutes so don't do it for long.

You should also check the wiring to and from the regulator and the alternator using the first diagram, to be sure they are not the problem.

You can google how to jump the regulator and the alternator. I will leave that up to you in case you damage either one.

Lastly I would recommend that you upgrade to an SI alternator use on 75 and later vehicles with an internal regulator. Easy to convert and more reliable.
You could install a one-wire alternator but your light would not work and it would be on whenever the ignition was on.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 11:19 AM   #6
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Out of curiosity, I noticed your user name had the El Sucio and decided to google the English translation. It translates to "The Dirty", which I thought was odd, until I noticed that the first part was Harry.
Knowing that most Latino languages are spoken that way, I concluded that You meant your Username to be Dirty Harry.Assuming that to be a reference to the American actor Clint Eastwood. How close am I?

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 11:41 AM   #7
67 Burb

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteVet View Post
Out of curiosity, I noticed your user name had the El Sucio and decided to google the English translation. It translates to "The Dirty", which I thought was odd, until I noticed that the first part was Harry.
Knowing that most Latino languages are spoken that way, I concluded that You meant your Username to be Dirty Harry.Assuming that to be a reference to the American actor Clint Eastwood. How close am I?
Looks like you're right on the money!
Attached Images

1967 2wd Burb, 350/TH350, 3.73 posi
67 Burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 11:49 AM   #8
frankslagoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 Burb View Post
Welcome to the forum. I have to say, I love that 160 km/h speedometer. Good luck with your problem. And your English is a lot better than my Spanish.
Cool speedo head. I wander if we could use those and change out the speedo gear to match it ?
frankslagoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 01:40 PM   #9
harryelsucio

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteVet View Post
Thank you very much for all your comments, first Clint Eastwood is an idol in Argentina, my father like, I also Official Police detective CSI so I admire the films Dirty Harry, not using too many forensic techniques to catch the bad guys .

Second, VetteVet thanks for all the information you gave me, I will try to test error between the battery, alternator and regulator, now no longer on. so I'll try to do it first thing tomorrow and I commenting, thanks again ...