The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-02-2016, 06:51 AM   #1
MacQuigley

Will the Gearbox take it?

Guy's, this is not a C10 related question but I hope someone can help.

My dad is about to swap the 454 in his Cobra for a 509 (the 454 will be going in my C10 so in a way it is a C10 related question).

The 509 will be connected to a Borg Warner Super T10 and will be capable of 550Lbft of torque (Or is that FtLb, I can never remember!).

My dad is a bit concerned that the gearbox is now the week link in the drive train and cant take that amount of power.

Has anyone out there had a similar set up or a similar transmission running that amount of torque and had it fail or better take the power?

Of course being such a lightweight car, he is unlikely to ever use so much torque but Im trying to reassure or prepare him for the worst.

Your advice as always will be most welcome.
MacQuigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 12:43 AM   #2
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Re: Will the Gearbox take it?

I don't know the exact torque rating of the Super T10, but I'm sure it is not any where near 550lbft.. With that said, how much abuse it will take will greatly depend on the rear tire width diameter and rubber compound. If the rear tires are not a soft compound and are fairly narrow and will just go up in smoke, the trans should last a while.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 12:52 AM   #3
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Jegs lists the super t10 at 325 lbs torque
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 05:05 AM   #4
MacQuigley

Thanks guy's.

His current 454 is Im sure already putting out more than 325lbs, so the T10 has already lasted 20 years attached to it.

Rear tyres are not that large 235's I think and being a fibreglass car the whole thing is very light so the wheels will spin easily. Plus he doesn't drive it hard.
Old 07-03-2016, 01:18 PM   #5
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacQuigley View Post
..... Plus he doesn't drive it hard.
That will be the key. A NHRA S/ST vehicle is 2800 pounds, Most have 700+HP and are capable of easy 8 or 9 second passes @ 150MPH,, But throttle timed to run 10.9000. Weight really doesn't mean much if it hooks up and the driver sticks his foot in it. For the most part a performance machine like this is just a parts testing platform looking what is the NEXT weakest link in the system. Even after he puts a bulletproof trans in,, that right foot WILL find what's next on the list.

Whats the worst that can happen,, The T-10 shells a bunch of gears and Dad goes on a quest for a nice 5speed to make it way more enjoyable to cruise in.

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 03:37 AM   #6
MacQuigley

The only problem going the 5 speed route is that fact he is now almost 80 and really not feeling up to that. Id do it for him but I dont think the will is there any longer. Plus Im not sure there is space to fit one.

We will see what happens when we get the 509 fitted. Hopefully it will be OK for a Sunday afternoon drive.
Old 07-04-2016, 08:28 AM   #7
homemade87

I would say it depends on how he shifts it . The shock of shifting is where most trans fail . If you power shift ( gas pedal never leaves the floor ) will be the hardest on the trans . If you speed shift ( lift the gas pedal when shifting ) and ease back into the gas after shifting the super t10 will most likely do fine with street tires . Your biggest enemy is it has 20 years of wear or more. When tolerances open up things can move around and break . I had run the supper t10 with some pretty powerful motors and had done well . And I am not easy on them either . The super t10 can stand quite a bit .

When it breaks you can get a autogear super case muncie ( direct fit M22z ) . I put one in my 650hp ls powered with m&h tires and give it no mercy ( Power shifting ). I think it is indestructible .

Last edited by homemade87; 07-04-2016 at 08:35 AM.
homemade87 is offline   Reply With Quote