The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-10-2016, 05:55 PM   #1
Chrispbrown36

A little tire review.

Sometime in February it became very clear that the Dunlop Mud Rovers that were on my truck when I bought it were not going to last much longer. When I bought the truck (March of 2014) the tires still had the nubs on them. I loved the look, but they weren't quiet even when new and it just got worse. By February of this year they were howling and the tread was all but gone. The truck isn't driven all that much (I have a beater car for work and such), it mainly spends its days pulling the boat from time to time or when I just want to show it off. I was not at all impressed with the Dunlops other than they did well in mud and snow. They were horrible on the ice.
When I started looking I knew I wanted something that was fairly aggressive (I don't offroad on purpose, but living in the middle of no where sometimes you need some traction), good tire wear, mild manners on pavement, decent snow/ice performance, and of course a good look....ya know...not trying to ask for too much.
I narrowed it down to Mickey Thompson Fun Country's and Cooper S/T Maxx in 31x10.50x15's. Both had similar reviews and ratings with a slight edge going to the S/T Maxx. The deciding factor was a rebate on the Cooper's through Tread Depot. With shipping the tires cost around $140 per tire. They arrived a day earlier than they said they would, so I was pretty happy about that. I had them mounted at a tire shop up the road making the grand total $160 per tire. I loved the way they looked and was pleasantly surprised at how quiet they were on the road.
I honestly couldn't tell you how many miles I have put on them, but they have been on some one to two hour interstate trips and a fair amount of time on the back roads and highways. They are still very quiet on the road and the tread seems to be wearing well and evenly. On wet pavement there is no problem. We have had a lot of rain this year and even going through some slightly flooded areas I haven't noticed any slip to them. I haven't had the chance to get them into any mud, but if I was happy with the Mud Rovers I can't see these being any less able. I expect they will also be just as able in snow, but I am curious how they do on ice. The reviews are good for ice, but we will see.
Chrispbrown36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 06:05 PM   #2
Chrispbrown36

Re: A little tire review.

Old 08-10-2016, 09:00 PM   #3
Gregski
Post Whore

glad they is quiet at highway speeds that was the big thing for my wifes SUV she had really nice mud / all terrain tires that we were just waiting on to get worn out so we could put on some highway Michellins cause they were just so loud

"I haven't had the chance to get them into any mud" well git out there man, we need a full report ASAP
Gregski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 09:14 PM   #4
Chrispbrown36

I tell you what man....my Dad was a hard core Michelin fan for many years, but when I started looking for the wife's car I was not impressed with the reviews. They are rated highly but people do not seem to care much for their performance. I ended up getting some Continentals for her that were just as highly rated but got amazing reviews. And Michelin really needs to step up their truck tire game....it's just sad. My Mom was looking for some tires right after I got my wife's and she ended up getting some Hercules, which are made by Cooper, and so far they are wearing great. The price was really good on them too. I was kind of leery of her buying them because they are kind of an off brand, but so far it seems like the gamble has paid off for her.
Old 08-10-2016, 09:19 PM   #5
Chrispbrown36

Also for your wife's suv, I would look real hard at the Cooper AT3. They get great reviews and ratings and for non-aggressive as the tread design is they get pretty impressive mud and snow ratings. 100% American made too.
Old 08-10-2016, 09:25 PM   #6
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrispbrown36 View Post
Also for your wife's suv, I would look real hard at the Cooper AT3. They get great reviews and ratings and for non-aggressive as the tread design is they get pretty impressive mud and snow ratings. 100% American made too.
thanks man, but I already dropped over $200 a tire for the Michellins for my ol' lady nothing but the best for her (translation keeps her quiet, jk) and I don't care too much for reviews, as I have had terrible experiences with products went to read the reviews after the fact the and the reviews were stellar, or vice versa, the reviews were awful and I loved the product
Gregski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 09:29 PM   #7
Chrispbrown36

It's really ridiculous what they want for tires these days....I am going to take up wood carving and make my own tires!