The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-12-2016, 08:38 PM   #1
garyd1961

Not a show truck but still....

...a good work truck. I just unloaded my new 48 inch cut John Deere mower out the back of my truck. I was more worried about scratching the mower than the truck.
I didn't think to take any pictures and I'm not loading it back up, lol.
What I want to know does any one else have a truck that's in too rough shape to make a show truck but you rebuilt the drive train, brakes and steering anyway? I'm talking about making a good work truck that you can still cruise around on when there's no work to do.
garyd1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 08:44 PM   #2
Jarvis-69 GMC 1500CK

Re: Not a show truck but still....

I have exactly that!

The drivetrain has already been rebuilt by prev owners (transplanted a 305), the body is rough, nothing is original and it is my daily driver. Love the truck to bits and pieces, and the best thing about it, because it was a low optioned long bed truck out of the factory, and it has already been soiled I am free to do what I want with this truck. I do not feel bad about having this truck as my daily driver and making modern touch ups to it.

I love being able to drive into the ditch(on purpose), driving it in the winter and going 50 on a gravel road to the lake without feeling bad about possibly wrecking a numbers matching all orig truck. With that said I am on a hunt on a 2nd truck that is not spoiled so that I can baby it.

I plan on putting in 4x4, a good sound system and possibly aircon.

Last edited by Jarvis-69 GMC 1500CK; 09-12-2016 at 08:52 PM. Reason: stuff
Jarvis-69 GMC 1500CK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 09:07 PM   #3
garyd1961

I've done a lot of work to mine and cleaned the body up a lot but it has too many issues to restore to 100%. It would be easier and cheaper to just buy another truck like you said you plan to do but I like my old truck. I never planned to put a new motor in it but after driving it for 10 years I just couldn't stand to see it die. The body didn't have any major rusted through spots but it had a lot of small rusted out spots, almost every panel on it had some rust.
Since it would never be a show truck I just used body filler on the rusty spots. I'm not talking about gallons of Bondo, maybe a qt with some left over. I figure I'm saving what's left of the truck and in 20 years someone will be glad to restore it. By then what I have would be a good restoration project because all the others will be either gone or someone else would have already restored them.

It looks pretty good in the picture but not so good up close.

Last edited by garyd1961; 09-12-2016 at 09:15 PM.
garyd1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 11:57 PM   #4
ratty69

That's the plan for mine, even if it never does a days work again. These trucks are rare enough around here that I consider myself fortunate to have one even if it's rough.

Pics when I get the computer gremlins sorted out.
ratty69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 09:53 AM   #5
outfield

That's my truck.

It has the original paint, but with dings and scratches, I can't afford to have it repainted, but it looks okay, not show worthy though.

I've already hauled a load of wood and top soil for the garden, its a truck! It's a good work truck that I can haul with, take in the woods and work on, and that's cool to me!
Attached Images

outfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 10:00 AM   #6
LongBox

A show truck, trailer queen, or low-mileage survivor always presents a tough choice. If you drive it, it will inevitably pile up more miles, get some scratches and paint chips, and get dirty. Sometimes, it's best to have what they call a 20 footer--a truck that looks good from a distance, but is not anywhere near perfect. Then, you can drive it and enjoy it, without worrying about it. And, in the back of your mind, you can always plan on restoring it "some day."

-69 GMC 910 Long Box, 350
-98 Chev Silverado 1500, 350 Vortec 4L60e
-08 Mustang GT Convertible
LongBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 12:36 PM   #7
In The Ten Ring

My truck would certainly qualify. 1972 stepside, mostly original, OEM, NOS, or bondo (). *I am slowly getting rid of all the bondo.

I have no intention of ever putting it in a car show, certainly not in a serious vein, and will be used as my "truck." This thing served my dad with aplomb for 20 years, moving several family members' possessions, hauling lumber, tools, motorcycles, 4-wheelers, even coal from an end-loader's bucket.

I hope to pull a cart or two, haul lumber, and use it on hunting trips. It will be "my truck" when I get it back together, and that time is drawing nearer, albeit slower than I had hoped.

I easily get "attached" to things and I am very attached to this truck but I have tried to prepare myself for the possibility of theft or destruction. If it is lost or destroyed, I will go and buy myself another stepside, but long wheel base or even one of those rare 1-tonner 9 foot beds.

Last edited by In The Ten Ring; 09-13-2016 at 12:42 PM.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 01:24 PM   #8
TwoFiftyShifter

Nice truck Ten. I hadn't seen it yet. Slow but always worth it.
Old 09-13-2016, 01:41 PM   #9
In The Ten Ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoFiftyShifter View Post
Nice truck Ten. I hadn't seen it yet. Slow but always worth it.
Thanks man. If you saw it as it looks right now, you might not be so enthusiastic.

The whole front end is off.....IF I can get it all back together, it'll look a lot better, even though the paint won't fully match.
Old 09-13-2016, 03:06 PM   #10
cypressbog
Go Pack Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyd1961 View Post
...a good work truck. I just unloaded my new 48 inch cut John Deere mower out the back of my truck. I was more worried about scratching the mower than the truck.
Same here. Unloaded my new 42" cut Deere this spring. Last year I hauled a full yard of wet pulverized soil and hand shoveled it out of the back. Year before that I got a load of #2 gravel with it.
cypressbog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 04:32 PM   #11
1968C30

I had a dump bed installed this spring, what a fun work truck. Truck has its fair share of farming dents..
Attached Images

1968C30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 05:07 PM   #12
birdkilla2k1

My work in progress...it certainly isn't a show truck by any standard, but I am not afraid to make an appearance at them. I still get plenty of viewers...I even change my show placards to "YES" touching!
Attached Images

Old 09-13-2016, 05:46 PM   #13
cypressbog
Go Pack Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdkilla2k1 View Post
I even change my show placards to "YES" touching!
That's a great idea!
cypressbog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 06:44 AM   #14
Ken B

I don't consider my 70 Longhorn a show truck by any means. Its original paint does still shine, the original owner whom I bought it from purchased it new to be his work truck in his family owned roofing business. With that said it was worked but he without a doubt took care of it. I have taken it to a few shows and I have found that it draws its fair share of attention. People really seem to appreciate the fact that is hasn't been restored. I also find that a lot of guys have heard that Chevy made a Longhorn truck but they have never seen one.. I have all the original paper work including dealer invoice and Protecto-plate that I display when I go to a show which a lot of guys find quite interesting..
Ken B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 11:54 AM   #15
In The Ten Ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken B View Post
I don't consider my 70 Longhorn a show truck by any means. Its original paint does still shine, the original owner whom I bought it from purchased it new to be his work truck in his family owned roofing business. With that said it was worked but he without a doubt took care of it. I have taken it to a few shows and I have found that it draws its fair share of attention. People really seem to appreciate the fact that is hasn't been restored. I also find that a lot of guys have heard that Chevy made a Longhorn truck but they have never seen one.. I have all the original paper work including dealer invoice and Protecto-plate that I display when I go to a show which a lot of guys find quite interesting..
"longhorn," is that the title of the 9 foot bed model?
Old 09-14-2016, 12:25 PM   #16
leftybass209

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Ten Ring View Post
"longhorn," is that the title of the 9 foot bed model?
Yes, but it's 8.5 foot, 133" wheelbase. The Chevrolet were designated as a Longhorn. The GMC's also had the 133" wheelbase option, but did NOT carry the Longhorn name. It was often (but not always) paired with the Sierra Grande, and/or Custom Camper option, so you may see a GMC Longhorn incorrectly referred to as either when talking about the bed length.
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 12:34 PM   #17
leftybass209

The only 9 foot bed available was a 1-ton stepper, and it was not called a Longhorn.
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote