The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-21-2016, 09:29 PM   #1
fb111ewo

1968 Front Grille Trim Rings

Anybody know a vendor that sells paintable trim rings? I see many vendors selling the chrome rings, but looking for new ones that can be painted instead. Mine are too ate up with rust to repair.
fb111ewo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 10:23 PM   #2
custom10nut

Re: 1968 Front Grille Trim Rings

I don't know what color you want, but have you considered getting the shiney ones and get them powder coated?
You could get some not perfect, used ones on the cheap and get them PCd in your color. It's an option
custom10nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 12:00 AM   #3
'68OrangeSunshine

The OEM '67 trim rings had a D-shaped cross section and were made of steel. On the '67 MY trucks the rings were usually painted a contrasting color, like white rings on an orange truck, blue rings on a white truck, black rings on a yellow truck, white rings on a blue truck, etc.
For '68 MY Chevy took a bolder look, with silver anodized aluminum rings and the front grille face in a contrasting color along the same color lines as '67.
Only the '68 type trim rings were available as NOS from GM dealers. They were not a D shape, but kinda resembled a ''state'' in cross section. What state, I'm not certain. Not Illinois and not California.
Finding true '67 trim rings is near impossible 50 years later, in good condition anyway. The steel rings were better made [thicker gauge] than the anodized aluminum ones. They took chrome on well.
Something to look out for, but I don't know where to get any. I used to call them "Chicken Lips" because they were about as rare.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 08:58 AM   #4
Grumpy old man

I have a few sets , pm me a phone number to sent pictures to .

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 09:05 AM   #5
fb111ewo

Thank you both for the replies. I didn't realize that 67 and 68 trim rings were different. I'm sure that mine are original to my 68, and were painted when I got the truck. I'm trying to fix up the truck like my Dad's old 68 Conservation Department truck.. low optioned - had white trim rings, white headlight trim and white bumper.
I guess my options are to try and fix mine or get a new set and sandblast or scuff up the chrome so they can be painted. I think for cost, I'll try and fix mine first!
Thanks again!
Old 11-22-2016, 02:03 PM   #6
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by fb111ewo View Post
Thank you both for the replies. I didn't realize that 67 and 68 trim rings were different. I'm sure that mine are original to my 68, and were painted when I got the truck. I'm trying to fix up the truck like my Dad's old 68 Conservation Department truck.. low optioned - had white trim rings, white headlight trim and white bumper.
I guess my options are to try and fix mine or get a new set and sandblast or scuff up the chrome so they can be painted. I think for cost, I'll try and fix mine first!
Thanks again!
Your Dad's '68, as you mention, has the MY 1967 look. It must've been a very early model, as most of them got the ''whiteface'' treatment. Does this truck have side marker reflectors? How big is the rear window?
Yes, I forgot to mention the headlight bezels -- they were the same color as the trim rings, accent color in '67, anodized aluminum silver in '68.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 10:28 PM   #7
fb111ewo

Quote:
Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine View Post
Your Dad's '68, as you mention, has the MY 1967 look. It must've been a very early model, as most of them got the ''whiteface'' treatment. Does this truck have side marker reflectors? How big is the rear window?
Yes, I forgot to mention the headlight bezels -- they were the same color as the trim rings, accent color in '67, anodized aluminum silver in '68.
Both his truck and mine were (are) 68 models. Side marker reflectors and big back window. I know that the state maintenance shop did some painting on vehicles, so they may have done the front grille area as well. I know the standard was the argent color, but it didn't have that. I don't remember any chrome or anodized aluminum trim on the vehicles, except for door handles. They definitely painted over the "CHEVROLET" letters on the tailgate and instead had "PREVENT FOREST FIRES" painted over the letters. Anyway, thanks for the feedback!