The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-20-2007, 01:58 PM   #1
fuelpump

Heater question

The heater in the 60 stepside I just picked up doesn't have any of the wiring or cables. Here are pictures of the heater:
Name:  truck 082 (Small).jpg
Views: 6806
Size:  48.2 KB

Name:  truck 089 (Small).jpg
Views: 5158
Size:  57.5 KB

I assume this is the original heater but it does not look exactly like the Deluxe heater drawing in the Shop Manual. Is this the OE heater and if it is where does the heat air control cable connect to the heater? In the shop manual drawing it looks like it should connent somewhere near the blower motor but I don't see where? Under the dash I don't see where the resistor assembly should be.
It gets pretty cold here in Michigan so I need to get this thing working. any help would be appreciated.
Rich
fuelpump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 02:00 PM   #2
fuelpump

Re: Heater question

Another view
Name:  truck 085 (Small).jpg
Views: 1887
Size:  48.9 KB
Old 11-20-2007, 04:54 PM   #3
mateo1279

I might be on glue....... but I think I have the same heater on my 62, but it is mounted inside the cab, with the coolant hoses running through the fire wall (the 2 spots where you see red and tan wires on your 1st pic). My heater controls have these paddles that attach to a long cable which controls the air flow. The other toggle switch contols the speed. I am not sure if mine was rigged up by the previous owner. I am writing because if your unit is not in the factory spot it might help you, but as you have a shop manual, it is probably my unit which is in the odd spot, which is good for me to know. Good luck, if any of this made scene, or you want to see, lemme know and I will put up a pic.

-matt
Old 11-20-2007, 06:31 PM   #4
Chevysdominate

It almost looks like you have one of the newer style Deluxe heaters. I have a 65 and recently bought a 61 both with deluxe heater setups. The 61 has a slightly different setup then the 65. I'm not sure if you can fit a newer style heater box into the 60-61 body's without some modifications. So, its OE for post 61 or 62 model years.

As for the heaters that have the hoses running inside the cab, i think thats a non deluxe heater....I think.

I could be wrong on both accounts, but i thought i would put my .02 in.
Chevysdominate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 09:40 PM   #5
Revoh

FWIW, this is the original Deluxe heater in my '63. It's hard to see in this pic, but the in and out hoses are coming out of the top and out of the front, not both out of the top like yours. The hookup for the cable controls is in a little panel on top just behind the top hose.

My heater core went out, and everyplace tried to sell me a core like yours. No one acted like they knew anything about mine, so I had to have it rebuilt at a radiator shop. I bring this up because they obviously don't make one like mine anymore, and if (not that I know for sure what yours should have), but if your's has been replaced or upgraded, they would have probably used the style they currently sell, not the old style like mine.

Just a theory. I don't know for sure.

My car blog, for your reading pleasure.

Last edited by Revoh; 11-20-2007 at 09:41 PM.
Revoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 10:20 PM   #6
PrerunnerRob

My 63 has the non deluxe heater, 2 lines go inside the cab, and I believe the 64+ had the "deluxe" heater standard. Look like the previous owner has installed the deluxe heater and done you a favor!

Here is the full '64 wiring diagram
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=193429

Let me know if I can give any more help...
PrerunnerRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 12:23 AM   #7
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Fuelpump, that heater you have is out of a '64-'66, and it is the delux heater, or as I call it the fresh air heater. It looks to me like there is part of it missing. On the engine side of it, it you take off the sheey metal cover and look up towards where it draws air from the cowl, there should be a flapper there with the shaft extending out towards the passenger side of the truck. That shaft has an arm on it that the heat control cable connects to. There also needs to be a bracket to hold the casing of the cable. If it would help I will see if I can get a pic tomorrow.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 07:52 AM   #8
baddawg65

On the outside box if you take off the little cover (2 screws) is where your heat cable connects. On the inside it looks someone put a knob where your defrost cable connects. The resistor goes on the side of the inside box facing the firewall, and is for different blower speeds. I just replaced the cables, levers, blower motor, and hoses on mine. Had to condem the mice condo out of it.
Attached Images

Last edited by baddawg65; 11-21-2007 at 08:03 AM.
baddawg65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 08:23 AM   #9
fuelpump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
If it would help I will see if I can get a pic tomorrow.
Thanks for the offer Captainfab. A picture or two would be a BIG help. Thanks Baddawg65 I see the heat hook up now. And thanks everyone else for their inputs. I didn't think that was the 60 Deluxe heater but I didn't know what it was.
Rich

Last edited by fuelpump; 11-21-2007 at 08:27 AM.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:58 AM   #10
fuelpump

Baddawg65,
As you can see from this picture there is no little cover. Its the top of the heater and I'd have to take the entire unit off the firewall to remove it.
Do you think the air cable connection is still in there??
Name:  truck 095 (Small).jpg
Views: 1790
Size:  50.7 KB
Old 11-21-2007, 09:18 AM   #11
baddawg65

That is how my 1962 is, I'll look at my 1965 and see how it connescts today.
baddawg65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 10:20 AM   #12
fuelpump

So here is what I found when I tore it apart. There is no place to attach a cable. Maybe that is why there wasn't one??

Name:  truck 098 (Small).jpg
Views: 1930
Size:  55.7 KB

Name:  truck 096 (Small).jpg
Views: 1761
Size:  47.9 KB
Old 11-21-2007, 01:41 PM   #13
rickf

That is the same basic heater as in my 64 C10. If you do not have the flapper that was mentioned earlier then you have the Thrift Air. It has (approx) 7 1/4 x 6 3/8 x 2 1/2 core. The Deluxe has a larger core, 2" longer. My mounting plate for the core had a little ridge cast in that would mark the cutout for the larger core, I almost did the mod to convert over, but ended up not bothering with it.

I believe the DeLuxe arrangement also gives you a water flow control valve to shut down the heater, the Thirft Air doesn't have this (at least, mine didn't). Water circulates all the time, even when heater is off. The only cable controls an air flow plate that is in the portion of ducting inside the cab.

LMC has all the cores. Just measure yours to see which you've got, compare to the dimensions in the pics. I got my core from Napa (made in Mexico), for somethign like $60. Others have posted sources down in $35 5o $40 range. The cores are easy to come by, I found them in stock on the shelf at Napa and Mac's Radiator here in Portland (both had the same made in Mexico units, $5 difference in price).

Here is the LMC page with cores:
http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cbe/0064.asp
rickf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 02:05 PM   #14
Revoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickf View Post

LMC has all the cores.
They don't have mine. LMC and Classic parts are both here in town, I physically brought my core in both places, and they didn't have one to match.

They do carry the ones that look like fuelpump's, though.
Revoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 03:38 PM   #15
JWOLVES

Fuelpump Are You Saying That It Does Not Have Any Wires On The Heater So It Doesn't Work. Because If Thats The Case Look At The Bottom On The Blower Motor There Should Be A Little Prong There Where The Wire Goes To The Heater Motor Thats How Mine Is. Mine Is A 64 C10 Stepside. And The Vent Knob Under The Dash Is What Controls The Heat Inside The Truck Move It One Way To Get Heat And The Other To Not Get Heat And You Should Have A Switch On The Dash By The Ash Tray To Turn It On And Off. I Don't Know If This Will Help You But Let Us Know How It Turns Out
JWOLVES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 04:02 PM   #16
Mitch6667

I have the same heater in my 66 C-10. It is the pull cable heater and not the Deluxe. The deluxe heater should have two levers on the heater box and one lever inside the engine bay which opens the valve to allow air in. Instead you have a knob that you turn clockwise for defrost and counter clockwise for heat on the floor. I bought a pull cable heater switch from classic products which runs to the heater resistor on the back of the heater box (close to the firewall).
Mitch6667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 06:46 PM   #17
fuelpump

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWOLVES View Post
Fuelpump Are You Saying That It Does Not Have Any Wires On The Heater So It Doesn't Work. Because If Thats The Case Look At The Bottom On The Blower Motor There Should Be A Little Prong There Where The Wire Goes To The Heater Motor Thats How Mine Is. Mine Is A 64 C10 Stepside. And The Vent Knob Under The Dash Is What Controls The Heat Inside The Truck Move It One Way To Get Heat And The Other To Not Get Heat And You Should Have A Switch On The Dash By The Ash Tray To Turn It On And Off. I Don't Know If This Will Help You But Let Us Know How It Turns Out
I found the electrical connector down under the heater so I ran power to it and the blower works. So I ordered a new heater wire harness, switch and resisitor. Hopefully this will get me up and running. Thanks for your help.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:59 PM   #18
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Not sure if these pics will still help you or not. These are pics of the heater in my '66 Suburban which has the deluxe heater. This shows where the cable from the 'HEAT' lever goes. Since you have a '60 that cable would hook up differently on the original style heater, but with the newer style heater this is how it should hook up.
Attached Images

Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 03:39 PM   #19
Iron-Butt
454 club

Mine must be the cheaper heater becuase it does not have the cable.
1963 Chevrolet C-10 6 Cyl automatic with dual exhaust, pb, ps and 17's.
R.I.P "I will miss you.
1967 Chevrolet C-10 6 Cyl Custom lwb
1939 Chevrolet Coupe, 350 v8 automatic.
1935 Chevrolet 2 Dr Standard in the works.
2015 Harley Davidson Street Glide.
2023 Chevrolet Stingray Z51 Convertible.

I never want to grow up.
Iron-Butt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 06:55 PM   #20
slow66

i ran across this heater valve the other day while brainstorming some new ideas because i have the economy heater setup with no control to shut off the water flow. have any of you seenthis or know where to get one, the link on this page is boguss. http://home.earthlink.net/~rlbpantera/HeaterValve.html i think this kind of control would super.

Last edited by slow66; 11-22-2007 at 06:58 PM.
slow66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 07:11 PM   #21
PrerunnerRob

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow66 View Post
i ran across this heater valve the other day while brainstorming some new ideas because i have the economy heater setup with no control to shut off the water flow. have any of you seenthis or know where to get one, the link on this page is boguss. http://home.earthlink.net/~rlbpantera/HeaterValve.html i think this kind of control would super.
You could use a solenoid activated valve to shut the water flow on or off, just measure the size of pipe you are using and get a solenoid valve that has the matching flow rate for that size pipe. Should be easy to solder or braze in.
PrerunnerRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 04:51 PM   #22
mateo1279

Not sure if all the questions were answered, if not, found this link through another thread:
http://64moneypit.pages.web.com/id36.html

Seems pretty good, I know I will be using it!

-Matt
Old 12-02-2007, 05:23 PM   #23
fuelpump

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo1279 View Post
Not sure if all the questions were answered, if not, found this link through another thread:
http://64moneypit.pages.web.com/id36.html

Seems pretty good, I know I will be using it!

-Matt
Thanks Matt that's a big help.
Old 12-21-2016, 04:22 PM   #24
63C20

i know this thread is old but can you tell me where or even better get me a pic of the resistor location?
63C20 is offline   Reply With Quote