The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-07-2017, 06:30 PM   #1
wolfsden

Transit wheels

Ok so I just picked up a set of 22 inch transit wheels, after taking some measurements I can see that I will need to run a 1 inch spacer in the fronts and a 2 inch spacer on the rears.
I also read here on some threads that the center hole on the transit wheels need to be machined a little larger to fit the hubs, which I can see when I removed my existing wheel to try and fit my new transit wheels.
My question is since I need to run spacers both front and back I'm assuming there is no need to have the holes on my transit rims machined bigger cause the wheel will be sitting up against the spacers and not the drum hubs in the rear and disc hubs in the front. I didn't purchase the spacers yet so I am not 100 percent sure.
My other question is about the spacers. The studs on my hubs are a 7/16 thread but all the spacers I see have a metric stud thread is this the only way you can by spacers? I know I can get 7/16 lug nuts to install the spacers to my hubs then I would have to by metric lug nuts to install the transit wheels to my spacers, I am looking to install this cap set in the picture on my transit wheels and the lug size only comes in 7/16 see pic.
Thanks for helping.
Attached Images

wolfsden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 06:36 PM   #2
Ben_Yeaton

Re: Transit wheels

Out of curiosity why would you need a spacer on the front?
Ben_Yeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 07:30 PM   #3
wolfsden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_Yeaton View Post
Out of curiosity why would you need a spacer on the front?
Yes I know, every thread I read they only used a spacer in the rear, but when I measured mine if I want to center my front tire with the wheel well I would need a 1 inch spacer. My transit wheels have 6 inch back space and the rear of the rim is a little close to the inside of the wheel well. I will be installing bags to drop the truck as much as possible so with the front wheels out 1 inch which will be center of the wells I can get max drop before rubbing.
Old 02-08-2017, 12:09 AM   #4
jweb

I would use hub centric spacers. I think this place can build what you need
http://www.motorsport-tech.com/hub_rings.html
jweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 11:38 AM   #5
wolfsden

Quote:
Originally Posted by jweb View Post
I would use hub centric spacers. I think this place can build what you need
http://www.motorsport-tech.com/hub_rings.html
Thank you! You are right they had exact what I was looking for!
Old 02-08-2017, 11:48 AM   #6
Ben_Yeaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfsden View Post
Yes I know, every thread I read they only used a spacer in the rear, but when I measured mine if I want to center my front tire with the wheel well I would need a 1 inch spacer. My transit wheels have 6 inch back space and the rear of the rim is a little close to the inside of the wheel well. I will be installing bags to drop the truck as much as possible so with the front wheels out 1 inch which will be center of the wells I can get max drop before rubbing.
Interesting. Sounds like you have measured and have a plan. I would do a little more research though on other guys who run these wheels, especially those who are bagged. I don't believe any of them run a front spacer, and that's on purpose to get the most offset for tucking/ clearance purposes. You do see a rear spacer to both clear the hub bore as well as move the wheels out a bit since they have such large offset.

Keep us posted, it sounds like you found some spacers you like. Good luck!
Ben_Yeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 01:28 PM   #7
hewittca

I have transits on my truck which is a '68, but the same issues apply on that generation. When I bought my wheels I had the centers bored out to fit on the stock drums and now my fronts fit with no spacers. If you have upgraded to disk brakes on the front, the center hub is smaller and the transit wheel will fit without boring the center. The disks also widen the track width slightly so this is how most are getting away with no spacers on front. For the rear, you will definitely need a spacer even if you have the center of the wheels bored out because the wheel will hit the bed with the 6" backspacing. To get around that issue and run no spacers, I flipped the center of the wheel and rewelded it to give me 4" of backspace. Now the wheels fits perfectly with no spacer, and looks cool too. I've heard of a few guys who had studs shear off their rear spacers with the transit wheels, so reworking the backspacing (if you have the skills to do so) was a much safer option in my opinion.
-
C10 Concept/Development Photos: Master Thread
hewittca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 10:03 PM   #8
wolfsden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_Yeaton View Post
Interesting. Sounds like you have measured and have a plan. I would do a little more research though on other guys who run these wheels, especially those who are bagged. I don't believe any of them run a front spacer, and that's on purpose to get the most offset for tucking/ clearance purposes. You do see a rear spacer to both clear the hub bore as well as move the wheels out a bit since they have such large offset.

Keep us posted, it sounds like you found some spacers you like. Good luck!
I thought about what you said and definitely agree soI only purchased the 2 inch spacers for the rear. I was concerned about centering the front tires with the wheel wells to be able to drop the truck more but not thinking about trucking/ clearance. Thanks for the good advice!!!
Old 02-08-2017, 10:14 PM   #9
wolfsden

Quote:
Originally Posted by hewittca View Post
I have transits on my truck which is a '68, but the same issues apply on that generation. When I bought my wheels I had the centers bored out to fit on the stock drums and now my fronts fit with no spacers. If you have upgraded to disk brakes on the front, the center hub is smaller and the transit wheel will fit without boring the center. The disks also widen the track width slightly so this is how most are getting away with no spacers on front. For the rear, you will definitely need a spacer even if you have the center of the wheels bored out because the wheel will hit the bed with the 6" backspacing. To get around that issue and run no spacers, I flipped the center of the wheel and rewelded it to give me 4" of backspace. Now the wheels fits perfectly with no spacer, and looks cool too. I've heard of a few guys who had studs shear off their rear spacers with the transit wheels, so reworking the backspacing (if you have the skills to do so) was a much safer option in my opinion.
Unfortunately for me I have no welding skills so I went with a set of Hub Centric 2 inch spacers for the rears they are supposed to be the best so hopefully I will not sheer any studs, I will have to check periodically.
As far as my front disc I still need to have my transit wheels centers bored out they are not even close to fitting the stock center bore. Not sure why mine are so large? I will try to post a pic of them tomorrow if it doesn't snow to much here.
I was checking out your build thread and just love what you've done so far with your truck, nice work!
Old 02-08-2017, 10:41 PM   #10
wolfsden

Quote:
Do you recommend bagged or a static drop? I plan on using the truck as a daily driver. Want to get the truck as low as I possibly can within the $1000 range and remember I am not as skilled as you any mods I do will be bolt ons no welding or cutting.
I would also like your opinion on tire size for front and back for my transits.
Thanks Jerry
Old 02-09-2017, 09:56 AM   #11
hewittca

Is your front suspension stock currently? If so, it would have drums which have the larger center hub that is incompatible with the transits. You can either bore the center out and keep the drums like I did on mine, or you can upgrade to disk brakes which have the smaller center hub.

For bagged vs static, honestly, I would go static if you don't plan on doing any cutting or welding and you are trying to stay at about $1k (similar to me). It would be tough to find a bag kit that cheap that is going to give you any reliability or accurate control of the system. Plus, without welding/cutting, you aren't going to get any lower than you can with a nice static drop. Sure, you could air it out when parked, but it would only be about 2" lower than what your lowest static drop will be, and when you air it up to drive it will actually be higher than a good static drop. I would recommend 2.5" spindles and 1" or 2" springs up front and 4" springs out back. Any lower than that and you are going to have to add a c-notch and shock relocation brackets (cutting and/or welding). 4mulaSvariant has a very nice static dropped '64 with transits, and he gives the details of his setup here.

For tire sizes, that is up to your personal preference. 4mulaSvariant's truck above is running 285/40s on all four, which is a bit larger than most people go.

I have the 285/40s on the rear of my truck, but on the fronts I used 265/35s which are the most popular size.

If you're into the ultra low profile look, you can get away with 255/30s.

-
C10 Concept/Development Photos: Master Thread
hewittca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 06:25 PM   #12
wolfsden

Quote:
Is your front suspension stock currently? If so, it would have drums which have the larger center hub that is incompatible with the transits. You can either bore the center out and keep the drums like I did on mine, or you can upgrade to disk brakes which have the smaller center hub.

For bagged vs static, honestly, I would go static if you don't plan on doing any cutting or welding and you are trying to stay at about $1k (similar to me). It would be tough to find a bag kit that cheap that is going to give you any reliability or accurate control of the system. Plus, without welding/cutting, you aren't going to get any lower than you can with a nice static drop. Sure, you could air it out when parked, but it would only be about 2" lower than what your lowest static drop will be, and when you air it up to drive it will actually be higher than a good static drop. I would recommend 2.5" spindles and 1" or 2" springs up front and 4" springs out back. Any lower than that and you are going to have to add a c-notch and shock relocation brackets (cutting and/or welding). 4mulaSvariant has a very nice static dropped '64 with transits, and he gives the details of his setup here.

For tire sizes, that is up to your personal preference. 4mulaSvariant's truck above is running 285/40s on all four, which is a bit larger than most people go.

I have the 285/40s on the rear of my truck, but on the fronts I used 265/35s which are the most popular size.

If you're into the ultra low profile look, you can get away with 255/30s.

Here is a pic of my disc brakes they are definitely not drums. The center hub on the disc brake measures a little over 3-1/2 inches and my transit wheels center hole measures a little over 3 inches so I guess I'm still going to have to have my front transit wheel holes bored out. Don't know why mine are different but they are.
Attached Images

Old 02-12-2017, 07:15 PM   #13
jweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfsden View Post
Do you recommend bagged or a static drop? I plan on using the truck as a daily driver. Want to get the truck as low as I possibly can within the $1000 range and remember I am not as skilled as you any mods I do will be bolt ons no welding or cutting.
I would also like your opinion on tire size for front and back for my transits.
Thanks Jerry
I know this wasn't directed toward me, if you want a budget air ride kit here's an option http://www.bcfab.com/Complete-FBSS-A...-1_p_1010.html

I would say air ride vs static drop is up to you. It really depends on how you will use the truck and the roads where you live. The roads here are pretty good but my driveway looks like a boat launch. I also plan to tow my camper so I like the air ride option.
jweb is offline   Reply With Quote