The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-18-2017, 10:07 PM   #1
Nate781

Cool No brake light or tail lights

I need some help please. I have been working on a 1970 C10, I've replaced mostly all of the wiring harness on the truck. Expect for the Engine harness and turnsignal switch. I have no brake lights or tail lights. All ground straps are correct for that truck, ive added some extra ones thinking it was a ground. Im thinking it could be turnsignal switch. I know that the main wire completes the loop of the tailights but Im running out of ideas.
Nate781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 11:29 PM   #2
El Dorado Jim

Re: No brake light or tail lights

post this in the electrical section and you will get an answer.
El Dorado Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 01:58 AM   #3
kwmech

Did ya make sure the connection did not come loose at the firewall?
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 07:19 AM   #4
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: No brake light or tail lights

There is a round connection at the rear of the truck on the drivers side frame rail. Take it a part and take a test light and see if you have any power to it. Have some one push the brake pedal down and turn the lights on and check it. If so take the rear housings a part and clean the screw connections. They ground the housing to the truck. Check the connections in the housing also.
All wiring run through the turn signal wires.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 08:55 AM   #5
Nate781

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
There is a round connection at the rear of the truck on the drivers side frame rail. Take it a part and take a test light and see if you have any power to it. Have some one push the brake pedal down and turn the lights on and check it. If so take the rear housings a part and clean the screw connections. They ground the housing to the truck. Check the connections in the housing also.
All wiring run through the turn signal wires.
I replaced the rear taillight wiring harness and made sure all rear grounds were grounded to bare metal. The last time I had a test light on the rear harness and didnt get power to the back. I still think its up front somewhere.
Old 04-19-2017, 08:58 AM   #6
Nate781

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwmech View Post
Did ya make sure the connection did not come loose at the firewall?
Well, thats what I checked the last time and the the brake lights and tailights worked. I checked the bulkhead and made sure everything was still ok and no wires were lose. Its a brand new under dash harness and bulkhead. Tightened it up and lights worked now Im back to square one with no lights or brake lights. hahaha
Old 04-19-2017, 09:05 AM   #7
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: No brake light or tail lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate781 View Post
I replaced the rear taillight wiring harness and made sure all rear grounds were grounded to bare metal. The last time I had a test light on the rear harness and didnt get power to the back. I still think its up front somewhere.
Follow the wiring back toward the front until you find power.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:14 AM   #8
Nate781

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
Follow the wiring back toward the front until you find power.
You said all the wires go through the turn signal switch. Im still thinking its a wiring issue up front. Turn signal switch is all I can think, since a I replaced almost every harness. Im not getting any power to the front part of the rear harness, Im talking about the harness plug that plugs into the fire wall right by the gas pedal. I wont get any power to the orange wire that plugs into the brake switch. Its a pain thats for sure
Old 04-19-2017, 10:15 AM   #9
Andy4639
Old member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate781 View Post
You said all the wires go through the turn signal switch. Im still thinking its a wiring issue up front. Turn signal switch is all I can think, since a I replaced almost every harness. Im not getting any power to the front part of the rear harness, Im talking about the harness plug that plugs into the fire wall right by the gas pedal. I wont get any power to the orange wire that plugs into the brake switch. Its a pain thats for sure
Per this drawing. Check white wire coming from turn signal switch to stop light. See if the white wire has power.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Last edited by Andy4639; 04-19-2017 at 11:35 AM.