The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-02-2017, 07:22 PM   #1
SnowGecko

Longhorn 4x4 conversion 'lift height'

ok, I'm a little worried...

I'm converting a longhorn to 4wd... but I'm worried about the height.

What's the lowest I get fit the 4wd stuff under? obviously it'll be higher than 2wd... and 'possibly' higher than stock 4wd... so what's the lowest I can get this conversion to come out to?

IF it's going to be more than 4 inches overall, I'll be denied 4wd... and lets face it, these look GREAT with solid axles.
()_)-o-()_)###()_)-o-)_)

Last edited by SnowGecko; 05-02-2017 at 07:45 PM.
SnowGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 08:22 PM   #2
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Re: Longhorn 4x4 conversion 'lift height'

What axle are you putting under the front? Small block or big block? You can probably put stock K20 springs under it and a small tire to keep it as low as you can. You can probably make it the same height as a stock K20 in all reality.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 09:09 PM   #3
Jeff's bowtie's

If you use factory springs on the front it should be the same height as a K/20 if your frame is already leaf springs on the rear you will need to add a 2" block or add a leaf to level it out as the spring hangers are shorter on a 2wd
Jeff's bowtie's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 10:21 PM   #4
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Seems like I read you were looking at the DIY kit. Supposed to be a good place to deal with, why don't you give them a holler or shoot them an email and ask them?
Old 05-03-2017, 10:09 AM   #5
SnowGecko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
What axle are you putting under the front? Small block or big block? You can probably put stock K20 springs under it and a small tire to keep it as low as you can. You can probably make it the same height as a stock K20 in all reality.
I have a c20 3/4 ton, so going to match the rear axle, that sounds really good, I was worried about the height.
BTW I LOVE your build, tad tall for my wife, but your's looks amazing... and I'm only on page 47.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff's bowtie's View Post
If you use factory springs on the front it should be the same height as a K/20 if your frame is already leaf springs on the rear you will need to add a 2" block or add a leaf to level it out as the spring hangers are shorter on a 2wd
that's really good to know, the 'spring hanger' is the part attached to the frame right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
Seems like I read you were looking at the DIY kit. Supposed to be a good place to deal with, why don't you give them a holler or shoot them an email and ask them?
'sometimes it's the simplest answer which solves the problem' - doh!

DIY4x or off-road design... I'm looking at both, I'll shoot them an email.

thanks guys!
()_)-o-()_)###()_)-o-)_)
SnowGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 06:51 PM   #6
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

I'm in the middle of doing another for a board member right now. I'm currently waiting on the leaf springs to be made. I'm using a stock front hanger. This is also the radiator support mount so you have to remove your old bracket off your frame and put on one from a K series truck. I am using ORD FUSH shackle hangers for a 73 up truck since they don't offer one for a 67-72. I'm going with custom front springs because the owner wants the truck relatively low too. The short 67-72 front springs yield a poor ride so I've opted to go with a longer spring and that's why they have to be custom. I'd show pics but there isn't anything cool happening currently.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote