The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-04-2017, 10:05 PM   #1
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Question RockAuto number? Parts problem, need help...

Does anyone have a phone number for RockAuto? I can't find it on their website and would like to talk with someone there. Just got AC Delco tierod ends and drag link (or center link; I have seen it referred to both ways). It looks good but one drag link end has no threads in the hole for the zerk. I waited several days for these parts and would like a new replacement pronto; the website is less than helpful.

PS -- Anyone happen to know the thread size & count for a grease fitting? Tapping the hole might not work though, b/c the hole is shallow, and shavings could contaminate the inside.

EDIT: I finally found their number, hopefully can reach someone to help me get a replacement part more quickly than my original order.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay

Last edited by Stocker; 05-04-2017 at 10:28 PM.
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 10:29 PM   #2
FirstOwner69

Re: RockAuto number? Parts problem, need help...

1-608-661-1376
It's on their website but buried.

EDIT: Just saw you found it.
FirstOwner69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 10:34 PM   #3
Pro299

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocker View Post
Does anyone have a phone number for RockAuto? I can't find it on their website and would like to talk with someone there. Just got AC Delco tierod ends and drag link (or center link; I have seen it referred to both ways). It looks good but one drag link end has no threads in the hole for the zerk. I waited several days for these parts and would like a new replacement pronto; the website is less than helpful.

PS -- Anyone happen to know the thread size & count for a grease fitting? Tapping the hole might not work though, b/c the hole is shallow, and shavings could contaminate the inside.

EDIT: I finally found their number, hopefully can reach someone to help me get a replacement part more quickly than my original order.
Your zerks will be on the tie rods, idler, and Pittman, not the center link. At least that's the way mine is.
Pro299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 10:34 PM   #4
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Yep.... and I just called, and it's just another automated system telling you to go to the website..... Sadly, actual customer service is a thing of the past with many companies....

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Old 05-04-2017, 10:37 PM   #5
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro299 View Post
Your zerks will be on the tie rods, idler, and Pittman, not the center link. At least that's the way mine is.
My K20 has zerks on the tie rod ends and each end of the center link, and it's been like that in the 40 years I have owned it.

The part in question has the hole for a zerk, but the hole has no threads.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Old 05-04-2017, 10:54 PM   #6
Pro299

Gotcha. Mine's a 72 C10. Didn't know they were different.
Pro299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 11:01 PM   #7
CastIron

It doesn't need to have threads in the hole. The zerk probably has self tapping threads and will screw right into the hole.
CastIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 11:14 PM   #8
Fbks_Cruiser

I just replaced the drag link ends and tie rod ends on my K2500 last weekend. Moog parts. Holes for the grease zerks were not threaded but as previously mentioned they have self tapping threads and screwed right in.

Matt
Fbks_Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 11:41 PM   #9
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastIron View Post
It doesn't need to have threads in the hole. The zerk probably has self tapping threads and will screw right into the hole.
This^^^

Also for clarification, the center link or drag link is the solid bar which the tie rod ends and pitman arm attach to. The pitman arm has zerk fittings at either end, not the center link. I think Stocker is referring to the pitman arm when he says center link.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 12:08 AM   #10
Fbks_Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
This^^^

Also for clarification, the center link or drag link is the solid bar which the tie rod ends and pitman arm attach to. The pitman arm has zerk fittings at either end, not the center link. I think Stocker is referring to the pitman arm when he says center link.
Leddzepp. You are thinking of 2wd. 4wd is a bit different. OP has it right.

Matt
Fbks_Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 12:28 AM   #11
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbks_Cruiser View Post
Leddzepp. You are thinking of 2wd. 4wd is a bit different. OP has it right.
Oops...thanks for clarifying my misinformation

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 12:31 AM   #12
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

I'm first to admit I am no mechanic.... but the one end (of whatever the heck it is, more about which later) came with a threaded hole, and the end in question -- well, I tried but could not force the zerk to cut its own threads. My lucky day, though, I own just 5 or 6 taps, and one was the correct size.

Now, what do we call that part? Reference this thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=437251. It shows (with MOOG part numbers), from the top, tie rod ends, drag link ends, and drag link adjusting sleeve. Those are the parts I am replacing, and each one (except the sleeve) has a grease fitting. For the record, my original drag link (or center link if you prefer; the two terms seem interchangeable) was a solid one-piece bar with grease fittings on each end.

Also on the same thread I linked above, post #13 clearly shows the parts on a 4WD truck. First pic shows the drag link connected to the pitman arm (left side of the pic) and connected to the steering arm (right side of the pic). No grease fittings on either one of those. To clarify (I hope) that part in the first pic in post #13, which I have been calling a drag link (as have many others) is exactly what I just installed on my K20. Not the pitman arm... that stayed.

Some confusion may be due to differences between my K20 and C10s or C20s. I don't know because I'm not at all familiar with 2WD trucks.

EDIT: I took so long to research & type this, it was already corrected above. Thanks, guys!

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Old 05-05-2017, 07:21 AM   #13
palallin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocker View Post
Yep.... and I just called, and it's just another automated system telling you to go to the website..... Sadly, actual customer service is a thing of the past with many companies....
This lack of human interface is one thing that allows them to sell parts so reasonably. If they had to staff a bank of phones all the time, even at minimum wage or overseas, their overhead would be much higher, translating into higher prices.
Old 05-05-2017, 09:57 PM   #14
HO455
Post Whore

Zerks come in at least two styles. Thread in and drive/press in. The drive in style can be installed by using a heavy wall tube or socket that just fits over the check valve end of the zero and still touches the base of the zerk. Then carefully tap the zerk in keeping it in line with the hole. The link shows drive in styles. The angled ones are more difficult to install without damaging the check valve end or tip.

https://www.saeproducts.com/drive-ty...FRCXfgodMmEHhw
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 11:01 PM   #15
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

^^ Interesting, and I never would have known such a thing existed. Probably just to save a bit of time installing VS threaded zerks? Doesn't look like they would be easy to R&R if one went bad.....

Quick follow-up to this thread, all the new bits are installed, test drive went fine with no apparent problems, and the alignment will be done next week.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay