The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-14-2004, 10:25 AM   #1
CHEVYJEFF

How the flock do install this JCW stuff

Going to replace my drivers side window and track felt (flock). Thanks to the P.O.S.M.F. that broke into my truck 2 weeks ago. I got the flock from Jcw and noticed that its all one piece compared to the stock one which was a 2 piece setup. Since I have to replace the window which means the vent window assembly has to come out, how do you install the felt. I was thinking of cutting it into 2 pieces like the stock one and using weatherstrip adhesive to glue it in. The directons that came with it are not that great. Any help or hints would be greatly appreciated.
90 V10 BLAZER
97 REGAL LSR 2100 (BOAT)
CHEVYJEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 11:47 AM   #2
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

When you pull the vent window, you will have to let the window down. Leave the rest of the felt loose, and unbolt the rear track. It should be easy to slide it in place with everything loose. I used the 87 vent windows in my 73's doors, and there was a slight gap at the top using the 2 piece design of the felt track. I would suggest leaving it together if you can.
Old 04-14-2004, 05:36 PM   #3
chevyjr73

i bought the jcw window fely and never could get the mess to go in right. i had to trim some of it down with a razor knife to get the glass where it would even close again. and the only way to hold it in the track was with some black weatherstrip adhesive. i wish now id left it the hell alone. i did replace the window channel felt and the rubbed on both sides of the glass without a problem
chevyjr73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 05:45 PM   #4
CHEVYJEFF

looks like I will have to fab some of it my self. Ill let you know how it turns out tomorrow
90 V10 BLAZER
97 REGAL LSR 2100 (BOAT)
Old 04-14-2004, 11:17 PM   #5
Paradise Ridge

Jeff,

I just did the doors on my '82 last week.

Remove the vent window assemblies completely. Install the front of the one piece felt in the track that is attached to the vent window assembly, starting with the bottom and making sure the felt is flush with the bottom of the track. I found Windex is a great lubricant that dries relatively quickly. I also used a 3" putty knife to get the felt all the way in. Work from the outside of the felt when you push it in, you will be able to see the notch that the rubber clicks into.

Re-install the vent window and lube the upper and rear channel and the felt with lots more Windex.

Disconnect the rear window track and slide it to the rear of the door, thus giving you plenty of room to install the new felt. Start at the top front corner of the window and slip the felt in nice and tight. Don't try to stretch it! There should be a small plastic locator pin on the new felt that slips into a hole towards the rear top channel. A little adjustment may be needed.

Work your way down the rear track, sliding it in as you go. With the rear window track loose you should have just enough room.

Re-attach the rear track with the bolt and lube up (Windex again) the top, front and back of the window glass and crank up the window. Roll it up and down a couple of times to let it "seat", then leave it up while the Windex evaporates.

The first door took about an hour and a half, the second one took about 15 minutes.

Hope this helps,

Scott
Paradise Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 10:29 AM   #6
CHEVYJEFF

well it was not too bad of an install, took about 2 hours. hardest part was getting the new window on to the rollers of the regulator, other than that the jcw stuff fit very well and went together easily. Its nice to have a functioning window again
90 V10 BLAZER
97 REGAL LSR 2100 (BOAT)